Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Do certain foods put you to sleep?

Guest mr.miami

Guest mr.miami

I noticed this problem I have when I eat certain foods they sometimes knock me out. I don't know if it is due to allergies are all the carbs.

The first food is when I go to Publix grocery store and eat a whole cuban sandwich I feel like passing out. The second thing is for some reason when I eat digorno pizzas I always feel like crashing. I'm aware of things like turkey and foods have l tryptophan, but these 2 things always knock me out. Anyone have experiences like this?

Guest Electric Eel

Chinese foods sometimes gives me a blinding headache, but I haven't noticed food-related lethargy.

Ask for your food without msg, they'll do it and you'll never have a headache again!

Guest coach

Chinese foods sometimes gives me a blinding headache, but I haven't noticed food-related lethargy.

Ask for your food without msg, they'll do it and you'll never have a headache again!

I'll try that, but I am almost positive that none of the places I order from use MSG.

I noticed this problem I have when I eat certain foods they sometimes knock me out. I don't know if it is due to allergies are all the carbs.

The first food is when I go to Publix grocery store and eat a whole cuban sandwich I feel like passing out. The second thing is for some reason when I eat digorno pizzas I always feel like crashing. I'm aware of things like turkey and foods have l tryptophan, but these 2 things always knock me out. Anyone have experiences like this?

i used to have the same symptoms, usually fast food would do that to me.

i tend to eat the publix sandwiches and they never put me to sleep.

i guess it depends on the person in terms of how active you are...the best bet is to start exercising and don't eat fast food or anything major fatty. i say it from experience, because i was falling asleep all the time myself and now i don't anymore.

Guest coach

A *lot* of it is food allergies. Lots of people have them and don't really know it since the symptons are not always like a pollen allergy. You don't necessarily get sniffles and sneezes. It may be drowsiness, headaches, stomach aches, or a variety of other ailments.

It may also have to do with quantity.

Guest lyrik

Tryptophan and turkey

According to popular belief, eating tryptophan in turkey meat causes drowsiness. Turkey does contain tryptophan, which does have a documented sleep-inducing effect as it is readily converted into serotonin by the body. However, tryptophan is effective only when taken on its own as a dietary supplement. Tryptophan in turkey is found as part of a protein, and, in small enough amounts, this mechanism seems unlikely.[9]

A more-likely hypothesis is that the ingestion of large quantities of food, such as at a Thanksgiving feast, means that large quantities of both carbohydrates and branched-chain amino acids are consumed. Like carbohydrates, branched-chain amino acids require insulin to be transduced through the myocyte membranes, which, after a large meal, creates a competition among the amino acids and glucose for insulin, while simultaneously creating tryptophan's reduced competition with other amino acids for the Large Neutral Amino Acid Transporter protein for transduction across the blood-brain barrier. The result is a greater availability of tryptophan, via the Large Neutral Amino Acid Transporter, for conversion into serotonin by the raphe nuclei, which is then available for conversion into melatonin by the pineal gland. Drowsiness is the result.

Alcoholic beverage consumption at holiday feasts is likely to compound the effect.

On average, a full grown male must consume some 45 pounds of turkey to have any narcoleptic effect.

Tryptophan and turkey

According to popular belief, eating tryptophan in turkey meat causes drowsiness. Turkey does contain tryptophan, which does have a documented sleep-inducing effect as it is readily converted into serotonin by the body. However, tryptophan is effective only when taken on its own as a dietary supplement. Tryptophan in turkey is found as part of a protein, and, in small enough amounts, this mechanism seems unlikely.[9]

A more-likely hypothesis is that the ingestion of large quantities of food, such as at a Thanksgiving feast, means that large quantities of both carbohydrates and branched-chain amino acids are consumed. Like carbohydrates, branched-chain amino acids require insulin to be transduced through the myocyte membranes, which, after a large meal, creates a competition among the amino acids and glucose for insulin, while simultaneously creating tryptophan's reduced competition with other amino acids for the Large Neutral Amino Acid Transporter protein for transduction across the blood-brain barrier. The result is a greater availability of tryptophan, via the Large Neutral Amino Acid Transporter, for conversion into serotonin by the raphe nuclei, which is then available for conversion into melatonin by the pineal gland. Drowsiness is the result.

Alcoholic beverage consumption at holiday feasts is likely to compound the effect.

On average, a full grown male must consume some 45 pounds of turkey to have any narcoleptic effect.

....and stuffing your fat face with anything makes you sleepy.

i've always known the trypto-whatever was bullshit. people just like an excuse to be gluttonous and lazy on the same day.

i love thanksgiving.

Guest Satan

It's called the "itis".

all foods make you sleepy, its the effect of blood diverting to the abdomen and getting chock full of nutrients. and in combination with Lyrik's explanation...bam PTFO

aka the medical term "niggeritis"

disclaimer: n word used with permission, price does not include tax and title, offer void where prohibited ;D

• 2 weeks later...