Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Tampa vs. Miami (MIAMI HAS SERIOUS COMPETITION NOW)

Guest rhythmburn

another thing about tampa -- because the venues do close down so early...there are afterparties, which are usually off the frickin' chain.

since the afterparties are more intimate than even the clubs, people involved with 'the scene' in tampa are a closer knit crew than miami is -- it is a smaller, but closer world in tampa.

i love miami for what it is, but i love tampa for what miami isn't

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

srsly.. what is there to do in tampa?

breakbeats at amphitheater with people walking around with glow sticks? NOPE.

Trance at Amphitheater once/month with a mc talking shit over the music all night? NOPE.

House music was canned at Amp on Friday night. Now it's "Mash Up" night. NOPE.

HPC? Not a bad venure but too small. I know some of yall like that intimate setting, but a lot of people like myself dont.

Floyds? Cheesy and fake

Mons? Cheesy titty bar

Jackson's? Not bad.. good house music on Fri Nights

Green Iguana? Cheesy.

After Parties.. Not my thing.

That pretty much wraps it up.

I didnt mean to turn this thread into a Tampa bash... but just wanted to prove a point that we are spoiled here in Miami... Tampa is no doubt a great party city (if you are into that bar scene), but for clubbing it's pretty bad.

We have a great scene here in Miami... but people still complain and talk about how other parts of the country are better than miami... which is bullshit if you ask me.

Guest pod

It's the same shit hashed over. Trainspotters hate Miami because "their" DJs don't get booked here that often. Miami clubland people don't like Tampa because it closes early.

The battle never ends.

used to hear the same thing when i lived in otown...the whole intimate in the scene get together...if that floats ur boat than that's cool do ur thing...personally i thought it was lame and no one showed to house parties.

the parties put together by ppl in the scene...for example sky60...i went to that place a bunch of times, nice rooftop outside venue, very chill...but at the time that i was living in otown, it would be all dudes...once in the blue u will see chicks.

even the other places on church that swore to death bout their parties, house events, they were okay for what it is...but the whole central fl intimacy vs miami thing to me is also bullcrap...lived in both cities all over cfl.

that's not a comparison between sfl or cfl just my point of view, how i see "the scene" and the people other than "junkies" in baggy pants and backpacks to a club???

gimme a break.

Guest clubchicky

I am not a big Tampa fan either, I went to Amp...it was ok...not at all thrilled though

you should check out hpc next time you are there. 2nd and 4th saturday are snatch and 1 and 3rd are paradise. :)

paradise is house , snatch is pretty diverse and eclectic from eddie richards to locodice.

cool : )

Guest rhythmburn

used to hear the same thing when i lived in otown...the whole intimate in the scene get together...if that floats ur boat than that's cool do ur thing...personally i thought it was lame and no one showed to house parties.

the parties put together by ppl in the scene...for example sky60...i went to that place a bunch of times, nice rooftop outside venue, very chill...but at the time that i was living in otown, it would be all dudes...once in the blue u will see chicks.

even the other places on church that swore to death bout their parties, house events, they were okay for what it is...but the whole central fl intimacy vs miami thing to me is also bullcrap...lived in both cities all over cfl.

that's not a comparison between sfl or cfl just my point of view, how i see "the scene" and the people other than "junkies" in baggy pants and backpacks to a club???

gimme a break.

baggy pants and backpacks? where?

Guest pod

Funny to watch people get all up in arms.

I swear, I could insult Tulsa, OK and there'd be some trainspotter foaming at the mouth.

Guest rhythmburn

I swear, I could insult Tulsa, OK and there'd be some trainspotter foaming at the mouth.

that's the thing about trainspotters -- usually fluffy and nice, but sometimes they kill

Guest musicalmissionary

I would love to carve the word "trainspotter" out of your vocabulary. There's nothing trainspotterish about finding a good time in out-of-the-way places.

It's much more about who you're with than where you are .

Guest pod

Trainspotter is a catchall in my case, it really has expanded from the note-taking-guy-in-the-back-nursing-one-beer-all-night sort to the type of person who constantly bitches about DJs not getting booked while being totally oblivious to the ins and outs of running a decent nightclub.

i know people that actually went out and bought a $500 pda phone with a keypad so that they can goto events and easily type in every song that the dj played while filming the dj all night with their 15 second video phone recorder...

then when they wake up the next day, they hop on message boards all over the internet and talk about how there was a) no vibe B) they were disappointed in DJ XYZ c) DJ XYZ didnt bring his A game, d) They are pissed because DJ XYZ only spun for 5 hours instead of 6, or whatever else they can find to bitch about.

Guest pod

Yeah, like I said I kind of use the term as a non-offensive catchall to describe a variety of ailments people have within clubland.

You know my gripes by now.

Guest rhythmburn

Four pages? Wow. It might just be that different people have different preferences, I dunno.

you just summed it up perfectly

Guest pod

Four pages? Wow. It might just be that different people have different preferences, I dunno.

Different preferences are cool unless they suck. ;D

I kid, I kid. But the irony of the situation is, that those on here who preach diversity, are the first to rip into people who maybe have umm, different tastes then they do? I see it all the time. "Hey, come and see DJ Orville Redenbacher at Popcorn, it's something different!" ... then if someone mentions "I'm going to see PvD..." it's time to attack.

Guest myles hie

Miami-it is what it is

Tampa-it is what it it

Its what you make of it and what you get out of it.

damn internet letting everybody voice thier opinion.

moving on...

Guest musicalmissionary

Miami-it is what it is

Tampa-it is what it it

moving on...

It's more like a relatively dead board with a self-important mod who has nothing else to do but chum the waters to fish out what little discussion is out there... albeit baseless and pointless.

C'est la vie

Guest pod

Self-important?

Oh please, spare me. You really hurt my feelings.

Stirring the pot? How good of you to notice. I make no denials that I prod certain conversations along. I do this based on the feedback I get, mostly in person, from people out in clubland.

Everyone else bumps their shit anyway, even though I kindly try to discourage that.

Guest coach

Miami-it is what it is

Tampa-it is what it it

moving on...

It's more like a relatively dead board with a self-important mod who has nothing else to do but chum the waters to fish out what little discussion is out there... albeit baseless and pointless.

C'est la vie

Is that a little of the old gator I see? Wait, I mean the gator from "back in the day."

gimme a break.

baggy pants and backpacks? where?

sky60 for starters...not saying everyone dresses like that, just saying a reg night out in otown on a "house" night no matter how much promotion u put in it, ppl still dont really care...if there are no chicks there, most likely guys that aren't in the scene won't come thru, which comes down to them not spending $ on drinks/alcohol...thus the club doesn't give a rats ass about "house" nights.

baggy pants & packpacks are even down here, i've seen em...just not as much as cfl.