Clubplanet Nightlife Community

My New Car and my buying experience!

Guest swirlundergrounder

Guest slamminshaun

Lets jump on Terry for not being able to afford a $30,000 hybrid..

I agree Terry, you should only buy what you can afford which is why I said don't take offense. At the same time, I can show you 100 hybrids for sale in South Florida under $20,000 so I strongly disagree that all hybrids cost that much. Would it be a new hybrid? No. But isn't environmentalism about making sacrifices?

What it all boils down to is personal taste. You WANTED the car you bought. You could've easily just bought a $15,000 hybrid for less than what you paid on your Mazda. I don't pick on people for what car they choose to buy, but I also don't expect to be lectured on why I should buy a hybrid unless that person is willing to make the sacrifice themselves.

Guest swirlundergrounder

Lets jump on Terry for not being able to afford a $30' date='000 hybrid..

[/quote']

I agree Terry, you should only buy what you can afford which is why I said don't take offense. At the same time, I can show you 100 hybrids for sale in South Florida under $20,000 so I strongly disagree that all hybrids cost that much. Would it be a new hybrid? No. But isn't environmentalism about making sacrifices?

What it all boils down to is personal taste. You WANTED the car you bought. You could've easily just bought a $15,000 hybrid for less than what you paid on your Mazda. I don't pick on people for what car they choose to buy, but I also don't expect to be lectured on why I should buy a hybrid unless that person is willing to make the sacrifice themselves.

Well you can afford to buy a brand new hybrid. I can't. Of course I could buy a used hybrid that cost around the same as my new car does.

But I'm one of those paranoid people that doesn't like to buy used cars because I've had several bad experiences in the past with them.

If there was a hybrid on the market that was new and around the same cost of what I bought my car for then I would have jumped it.

Like I said before I shared a car for 5, close to 6 years. I took the bus to work when I had to, drove a scooter until it broke down. I did make my sacrifces.

Unfortunately there aren't very many choices for vehicles that use alternative fuels right now. So I made a choice and I bought a car that's highly dependable, has great resale value and has the best fuel economy for compact sedans in the same class.

30 mpg in the city is not SUV fuel economy...

Guest slamminshaun

Of course I could buy a used hybrid that cost around the same as my new car does.

But I'm one of those paranoid people that doesn't like to buy used cars because I've had several bad experiences in the past with them.

I said a long time ago that I bought an SUV for several reasons. One, it was more practical given where I live. Two, I'm one of those paranoid people who feels safer driving one. I was told by some on this board that those reasons are stupid and no excuse for me "destroying the environment". I think you might have even jumped on that bandwagon.

I had a car accident years ago in a small car and was 2 inches from being killed. It was my 2nd bad car accident in the little gas-saver. I guess you can say I had several bad experiences driving fuel-efficient cars. What makes your bad experiences and paranoia excusable, while mine are not?

Welcome to my world Terry! ;)

Guest saintjohn
But isn't environmentalism about making sacrifices?

Environmentalism is supposed to be about preserving our environment, but clearly the "making sacrifices" part seems to be the only thing that really matters to some people. They pretend that they care about nature, but their true motivation is a desperate need to feel morally superior to everyone else.

Btw, I'm NOT talking about Terry or anyone else on this board. The "green" arguments expressed in this forum are actually rather mild compared to some of the rhetoric I've been subjected to at Audubon Society gatherings. Those Aventura Whole Foods Eco Warriors are scary. Even the Earth First! movement had a sense of humor back in the day.

Guest michael^heaven

Nice car Terry! I've always liked Mazdas. As for the haters, since when does someone need approval on their purchases ::). Regarding Hybrids...don't forget to add in a few thousand dollars when the massive battery dies. I saw a Consumer Reports special that stated the average life of a hybrid battery is 5 years.

Guest slamminshaun

Nice car Terry! I've always liked Mazdas. As for the haters, since when does someone need approval on their purchases ::).

My point exactly! But before you go on judging me, consider who started this "argument"...Terry has been bashing what I drive and lecturing me about hybrids for 3 years....

http://www.cooljunkie.com/forums/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=28464

http://www.cooljunkie.com/forums/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=9872

http://www.cooljunkie.com/forums/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=31524

Guest swirlundergrounder

Nice car Terry! I've always liked Mazdas. As for the haters' date=' since when does someone need approval on their purchases ::).

[/quote']

My point exactly! But before you go on judging me, consider who started this "argument"...Terry has been bashing what I drive and lecturing me about hybrids for 3 years....

http://www.cooljunkie.com/forums/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=28464

http://www.cooljunkie.com/forums/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=9872

http://www.cooljunkie.com/forums/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=31524

No. I've been lecturing people not wasting fuel and overconsumption for fashionable reasons, ie people who drive SUVs that don't need them. Like the single guy driving an Escalade up and down the street.

Hell if you have 5 kids then you need a large vehicle.

I've been lecturing alternative fuel sources and how this country needs to move towards using more alternative fuel. There does not seem to be a strong enough push for conserving fuel in our culture.

As of right now I only know of 2 cars on the market that use alternative fuel one being the Toyota Prius. And both of these models are around $27,000-$30,000 new before taxes. I think that you don't even get the tax credit for buying a hybrid anymore. I heard on the news that the government only gave out a certain number of those tax credits which ran out sometime last year.

Shit Shaun I've been in a bad car accident before. If you look at my head above my right eye you will see a scar that at one time ran from the middle of my forehead, through my eyebrow and down to the middle of my cheek. The car I was in was hit by a drunk driver and my head hit the top of the car which had an open sunroof.

Well to make a long story short, that cut above my eye made my eyelid hang down and you can see my brain beating through my eye socket!

I pretty much almost died myself 15 years ago or so in a small car.

But that's not the root of my paranoia. My paranoia stems from being able to transport my little girl from place to place and not have something like a used car break down on me with her in it.

Why should I get a used car that's 3 years old (the age when cars start to have problems) and end up spending more money fixing the cars problems that will arise at that cars age, when I can have a brand new car that gets good fuel economy and that's uber dependable.

You act as if I went out and spent $40,000 on some Audi or something and pased up buying a hybrid for $10,000 less.

Oh yeah and lets not forget, I also got a 'microfiber interior' instead of a leather interior that I could have gotten for only $500 more.

Now how much of a whopla whould you cause around here if my animal lover ass got leather interior.. ?

Guest swirlundergrounder
But isn't environmentalism about making sacrifices?

Environmentalism is supposed to be about preserving our environment, but clearly the "making sacrifices" part seems to be the only thing that really matters to some people. They pretend that they care about nature, but their true motivation is a desperate need to feel morally superior to everyone else.

Btw, I'm NOT talking about Terry or anyone else on this board. The "green" arguments expressed in this forum are actually rather mild compared to some of the rhetoric I've been subjected to at Audubon Society gatherings. Those Aventura Whole Foods Eco Warriors are scary. Even the Earth First! movement had a sense of humor back in the day.

No Saintjohn you are worng. I do need to feel morally superior than other people.

:P

Save the environment and go straight HO2...forget about gas/electric.

The govt did it ages ago, many people are doing it...it's just a hush-hush or you might get shot...funny but true in some cases.

gas/electric hybrids will give you anywhere from 40-60mpg depending on the car, ect.

HO2/gas will do probably an extra 15-25mpg, but your car will last alot longer and run much cleaner and you will gain a few extra horses. The cost for this transformation would run about 2-4k for parts/labor depending on vehicle model, ect. If you can read an owners manual, you can install it yourself or the average mechanic can also do it. Since it's only vaccum lines running across your engine bay.

H02 will give the best bang for the buck in the long run. Up to 100mpg can be achieved by pure HO2 no gasoline here. Major increase in horsepower/tq. Cost will depend on parts being new/used and also labor anywhere from 4-10k for parts/labor/tuning depending on the vehicle model, ect.

Hydrogen is the cleanest burning fuel of all time. It will reduce carbon deposits. The result is a longer lasting and more efficient engine.

But anyways continue with the conventional hybrid talk.

Guest zinc

I haven't read all the post, but my mom bought this car 3 years ago and it's still rockin. my parents always buy german or mazda's and the 3 mazda's they had never gave them an issue and has lasted well over 200,000 miles!

I got the 06 passat 1 and 7 months ago and I get 35 mpg (30 city) the new engine that vw has is awesome! did 540 miles on a long distance trip without refueling and probably had another 30

Guest saintjohn
You're just simply happy all the time...

I wish.

Seriously, I'm glad to see you've found a vehicle that suits you - fuel efficient, reliable, safe, and affordable. It looks cool, too :)

My wife is currently lobbying for a "new" vehicle. She wants to find an old diesel Land Rover and convert it to run on waste vegetable oil, like this one:

DSCN0709-200x150.jpg

Now you know why I'm so happy for you.

Guest swirlundergrounder

The govt did it ages ago, many people are doing it...it's just a hush-hush or you might get shot...funny but true in some cases.

gas/electric hybrids will give you anywhere from 40-60mpg depending on the car, ect.

HO2/gas will do probably an extra 15-25mpg, but your car will last alot longer and run much cleaner and you will gain a few extra horses. The cost for this transformation would run about 2-4k for parts/labor depending on vehicle model, ect. If you can read an owners manual, you can install it yourself or the average mechanic can also do it. Since it's only vaccum lines running across your engine bay.

H02 will give the best bang for the buck in the long run. Up to 100mpg can be achieved by pure HO2 no gasoline here. Major increase in horsepower/tq. Cost will depend on parts being new/used and also labor anywhere from 4-10k for parts/labor/tuning depending on the vehicle model, ect.

Hydrogen is the cleanest burning fuel of all time. It will reduce carbon deposits. The result is a longer lasting and more efficient engine.

Isn't hydrogen's only emisson water?

Isn't hydrogen's only emisson water?

Utilizing the process of basic electrolysis by producing Hydrogen and Oxygen as an end product,then introducing it into the internal combustion process of an engine. This introduction of a superior fuel when combined with fossil fuel increases the performance, horse power and over all operation of an internal combustion engine, while simultaneously lowering the emissions and operating temperature of the engine and extending the oil change and tune up period requirements.

Nasa uses Hydrogen in the shuttle by applying heat to their gas tanks filled with natural gas which is another form of producing Hydrogen as well, other than Electrolysis which is basically using an electrical current to separate water into hydrogen and oxygen.

Many countries including Brazil have been using Hydrogen in it's Natural Gas form for many many years. Just about every gas station in Rio for instance have a Natural Gas/Hydrogen Pump. Most of the cars down there using this fuel are taxis and city busses from what I've seen 4 years ago or so.