Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Tips/Advice for 1st timers...?

Guest themoldman

Guest beema

Don't eat at Jerry's Famous Deli in sobe. That place is a fuckin ripoff. Food is way overpriced and the service is the worst I've ever experienced. Plus they add on automatic tip, so you can't do anything about it.

other than that um

don't overbook yourself unless you're willing to use lots of things to keep you awake

even then it's probably not worth it

Last year I made it to every show I wanted to, but half the time I was sleepwalking through them like a zombie with feet in massive pain, so i didn't really get to enjoy them and it was pointless.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pod

Good advice. I wouldn't pre-game too hard, because you'll start to drag early, and that's no good. 2 or 3 drinks before departure and you'll be fine.

And also, it's not that the clubs are deliberately treating you like shit, it is the situation that they are in. You probably know as many doorguys as I do, and you know they're not normally like that. Throw thousands of guidos, misfits, drug addicts, self-important DJ whores, label flacks, random spring breakers, at the door all night, and you'd be pissy too.

And again, you'll never make every party you want to. Even if you do, like Beema says, some of them you'll be in zombie mode.

Don't eat at Jerry's Famous Deli in sobe. That place is a fuckin ripoff. Food is way overpriced and the service is the worst I've ever experienced. Plus they add on automatic tip, so you can't do anything about it.

other than that um

don't overbook yourself unless you're willing to use lots of things to keep you awake

even then it's probably not worth it

Last year I made it to every show I wanted to, but half the time I was sleepwalking through them like a zombie with feet in massive pain, so i didn't really get to enjoy them and it was pointless.

most places in sobe especially collins ave/ocean drive will automatically add 18%, i agree sometimes the service is not the best but alot of people do not tip whatsoever, friends that work in sobe tell me this all the time...so they made a rule now to automatically add the tip to the bill.

i assume u went there past midnight?

Good advice. I wouldn't pre-game too hard, because you'll start to drag early, and that's no good. 2 or 3 drinks before departure and you'll be fine.

And also, it's not that the clubs are deliberately treating you like shit, it is the situation that they are in. You probably know as many doorguys as I do, and you know they're not normally like that. Throw thousands of guidos, misfits, drug addicts, self-important DJ whores, label flacks, random spring breakers, at the door all night, and you'd be pissy too.

And again, you'll never make every party you want to. Even if you do, like Beema says, some of them you'll be in zombie mode.

i know im just giving pointers out to what should or shouldn't be expect...not saying everyone out there is an asshole, but due to the massive 5k boneheads trying to get into a 2k capacity club, stress and egos become the big thing during the night.

Guest Cosmigonon

let's see...

If you have friends that are staying in sobe...go out to a liquor store and buy or just bring a ton of liquor...go down to the walgreens on 5th street, they have a liquor store in there and u can buy all the liquor u want at a fair price. Store all that liquor in the fridge. That way you're always pre-gaming in/out so ur not spending $10-$15 bucks a drink.

Do not leave the house/room/apt/hotel/condo sober.

If you're single and you meet a chick and you guys end up doing the hookie pokie, make sure to remember to have either an alarm clock w/ a certain time to go off so you don't miss that event that you really wanted to see. Happened to me, I was dating at the time. Especially if you're having sex all night and you get lazy, that's bs this is WMC...some of these dj's/events will only come thru once a year and that's why you paid $600 plus to be down here that time of the year.

As for food, there are tons of great restaurants in sobe if your willing to cash out, check the Restaurant section for best food tips during WMC. Post a thread on there if you like and all the peeps living in sobe will tell u whats the best.

Be ready for clubs to treat you like shit even if paid ahead of time for tickets online. Do not try to purchase a ticket at a venue because u will be in line for hours, and after u spend 50-100 bucks a head, people will still treat you like shit.

The best thing to do is when you have a good idea of all the events you want to attend that week, go to wantickets.com and purchase all your tix at once. Have them mail you the tix, they will charge you $11 bucks per order, so its smart to purchase all of them together. You don't want to go up to Will Call at some of these events at 5am to find out that Will Call closed at 2am.

Buy a big gatorage bottle, not the jug one...but the one below that size and make a strong fucking drink out of it. After you and your buddies pre-game at your place, take it with you and sip it on the way. Good Buzz right there.

Hope your writing this down

Another thing that I personally will not do this year is wear umcomfortable shoes. As gay as it sounds i like pumas/diesels for clubbing and the look, however after dancing ur ass off and walking all over the fckin place w/ them, you're gonna hating it. So make sure you wear something comfortable that you're able to both walk in and dance to(if you dance at all).

For chicks id recommend the same thing, no heals, none of that shit, especially during pool parties and nikki beach due to the sand all over the place. The worst thing you wanna do is have a chick drag you down because of her feet. Even their own girlfriends hate that shit, especially that weekend.

Do not go to hip hop venues which there won't be none, but if u do u might get shot or stabbed or both...i kid, well it has happened b4.

I can't think of anything else right now.

Post of the year

Guest themoldman

For myself, and all other 1st timers I thank y'all for this info. I am taking notes....

Most of what y'all are saying I had already thought of. Im bringing booze with me to tank up before leaving.

I'm a geezer with 3 kids (including a new baby) and trying to run my newish business and manage other people... I live in a constant state of sleep deprivation. Its very possible I may get more sleep in Miami than I do at home! And if my ass is dragging - y'all ever combined caffeine and ephedrine tabs? That shit kicks ass! The come down can be a bitch tho'.

The info Im really liking is all the local stuff. Thats what I need. And on that note here's another question for the collective - my hotel is way north (6900 Collins) and I'm gonna have to get taxis. I can understand the traffic issues and jacked up prices so here's my question- do I just try and wave cabs down or is it worth trying to set up an account or such with a local cab co/limo service before I get there?

Any and all info appreciated. Ciao

Guest musicjunky

Don't take a taxi from Ft. Lau it is like 100 bucks. Also def. drink as much as you can before you leave your room. and you'll still need A 100 bucks for drinks a night not to mention whatever else you are going to do.

For myself, and all other 1st timers I thank y'all for this info. I am taking notes....

Most of what y'all are saying I had already thought of. Im bringing booze with me to tank up before leaving.

I'm a geezer with 3 kids (including a new baby) and trying to run my newish business and manage other people... I live in a constant state of sleep deprivation. Its very possible I may get more sleep in Miami than I do at home! And if my ass is dragging - y'all ever combined caffeine and ephedrine tabs? That shit kicks ass! The come down can be a bitch tho'.

The info Im really liking is all the local stuff. Thats what I need. And on that note here's another question for the collective - my hotel is way north (6900 Collins) and I'm gonna have to get taxis. I can understand the traffic issues and jacked up prices so here's my question- do I just try and wave cabs down or is it worth trying to set up an account or such with a local cab co/limo service before I get there?

Any and all info appreciated. Ciao

If you've taken redline b4, id do that...on a full stomach offcourse.

just get a cab...and have them take on the backside of sobe aka alton rd...its faster if there's alot of traffic or u can just tell him to drop you off at around 20th street by shore club and u can walk from that point on...you will see how much traffic there will be that week.

69 st is not far from sobe - sobe starts on 1st and goes up to 23rd st on collins.

Guest pod

Cab from 69 is like $10-$15. If traffic gets atrocious, just get out.

Conference is crowded, but it really tapers off after 23rd St. If you're reasonably healthy, you can walk from 23rd to your destination.

Guest frankthetank

These are some great tips especially from all4tribalism.

Try these joints for food.

LaSandwicherie (14th and Collins?) near Cameo aka Crobar. great subs.

Joe's Stone Crab carry out -(near Nikki Beach) order the Seafood Bisque soup and a fish sandwich. Food is superb.

Pizza Rustica - it's been mentioned but I think that joint has gone down hill IMO. Still it's pizza. They can't fawk it up too bad. ;D

Redline rocks. LIPO 6 by Nutrex is even better especially later in the trip when your dragging ass.

Most importantly...PACE yourself.

Guest Fuerte44

ok idiot question here....what is redline? i am ssming its an energy drink....how is it diff or better han all the other crap out there?

Guest frankthetank

ok idiot question here....what is redline? i am ssming its an energy drink....how is it diff or better han all the other crap out there?

Probably personal preference is the difference. It doesn't make me jittery at all. Do a google for VPX redline. Yeah, basically energy drinks, energy tabs. Pretty strong. Good stuff. I would suggest getting a bottle. Don't go over two tabs.

LIPO 6 by Nutrex is good stuff too.

Guest maru37

If you're smart, you don't have to.

True dat (did I just really say that?)

Take some time to just enjoy the beach and the weather. The parties are awesome and the main event but a couple hours on the beach just listening to my iPod has really made these trips more than just that. Take a cab to the Hilton and just walk the boardwalk/beach back to SoBe. It'll kill an hour and be good for relaxation.

Guest pod

Joe's Stone Crab carry out -(near Nikki Beach) order the Seafood Bisque soup and a fish sandwich. Food is superb.

Pizza Rustica - it's been mentioned but I think that joint has gone down hill IMO. Still it's pizza. They can't fawk it up too bad. ;D

Crap, too expensive, and crap.

Ginos attached to the Texas Taco Factory on Alton is all you need to know. ;D

Guest frankthetank

Crap, too expensive, and crap.

Ginos attached to the Texas Taco Factory on Alton is all you need to know. ;D

Don't listen to POD...you can eat at Joe's carry out for $15. If you can't afford that you shouldn't be going to WMC.

IT's NOT LIKE EATING IS GOING TO BE A TOP PRIORITY ANYWAY.

Guest maru37

It's true. Eating will not be a priority. If you must:

Cafe Bonjour - 9th between Collins and Ocean (great smoothies and sandwiches especially if you're a meathead)

Subway aka The Clubway - 13th and Collins (Good tunes and the standard Subway stuff)

Burger King - Collins and Lincoln Rd (The place to see and be seen; bring change for the restrooms!)

The last two were jokes sort of but more often than not I just find myself at one of these three places.

Guest beema

Subway aka The Clubway - 13th and Collins (Good tunes and the standard Subway stuff)

Lol

No fuckin way, I went there last year and it's hands down the worst subway in the universe. Worst service EVAR. Plus it's subway, so it's gross.

As for tipping, I guess a lot of people are cheap douchebags, but I always try to tip atleast 20% for dinner, 15% for lunch. Jerry's was just pure shit though. They didn't deserve a 5% tip, let alone 18.

I really enjoyed Pizza Rustica. Not the best pizza in the universe, but pretty damn good and affordable and there is one like every 3 blocks, so it's there when you need it.

Last year I barely boozed at all and I think that helped a lot. Not only did it save me money, but when you are trying to stay awake and dance around at a lot of shows every night, alcohol is not your friend. It pretty much works directly against that ability. I plan on keeping drinks to a minimum agian this year. It was pretty easy to do for me, and I do enjoy my liquor.

I've never tried Redline. Is it healthier for you than any of the standard energy drink fare? I always feel like shying away from it b/c it's also billed as a fat burner and those things usually have bad stuff in them.

I was elated to find out last year that Nocturnal serves Rockstar. Finally a place that serves something besides redbullshit -- or spacewater aka distilled vomit. These days I can't even stand regular Rockstar though and I stick to their Juiced variety.

On a related note, since you can pretty much wear whatever you want to most clubs, and none of them pat you down, the best thing to do is sneak in your own energy drinks and powerbars in your pocket. They really help you out in a pinch and get you a second wind for a while. You could buy energy drinks at the club, but that's another $8-$10 that could be better spent imo.

Guest Renedgade25

Take lots of cash with you because if you can't get guest list for anywhere, you're gonna need a serious amount of it.

Guest dj moyn

Redline is the best energy drink out on the market. i've tried them all, nothing compares. i was gonna bring a case down with me but does anyone in miami know where you can buy it down there? and how much it goes for?

thanks

Guest themoldman

Caffeine and Ephedrine together is the bizniz - take 1/2 a caffeine tab and 1 eph and it'll rock your socks!

Back in my younger days when I used to lift weights this mix was the only way to get thru heavy leg days. It added 50lbs to my max too.

But I will admit that ephedrine aint for everyone and probably shouldnt be mixed with booze...

There is Jolt gum too...