Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Your downtown noise violation update.

V. Barbarino

Guest endymion

I personally have volunteered for HH in South Dade, so it's not like I am against them. The thing is you can not blind yourself by the good cause and forget about the consequences.

All of those concerns about who gets to live in the affordable housing once it's built are totally valid. I also don't personally swing a hammer for HfH any more, and I stopped risking my own life to fight fires in crackhouses when I realized how dumb that was. None of that justifies maligning Habitat for registering noise complaints for the people who live in the houses that they succeeded in building.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pod

But again, is HH doing it just to be a pain, or are the residents really complaining? If it's just HH, that's uncalled for.

Guest JustDade

But again, is HH doing it just to be a pain, or are the residents really complaining? If it's just HH, that's uncalled for.

I think it's fair to say that the complaints are valid. I don't care how much money you make or where you live, you're entitled to a peaceful night's sleep. If i had 100,000 watts of sound coming through my window at 4am and beyond I would do more than complain.

Guest pod

I would tend to agree on that part. I live where I live because it's quiet. But I'm close to where I need to be so it's still cool.

I hope Karu & Y knows this and will take appropriate steps sooner rather than later. It's a great venue and I'd hate to see them go through undue hardship. In this case, the chips are on the other side, since they moved in after the HH homes went up. It's not like on 11th Street where the clubs were there seven years prior, and part of the reason the area is "hip" and "the next big thing".

Unfortunately it seems to be the typical cycle once again. Clubs get booted from one area. Clubs find destitute area, turn it into party central. Area becomes hip and attractive, "next big thing", people wanna live there, then it all goes to shit for the clubs.

This time around it seems that in general there's a fight, rather than the clubs just keeling over and calling it a night.

Guest coach

I think it's fair to say that the complaints are valid. I don't care how much money you make or where you live, you're entitled to a peaceful night's sleep. If i had 100,000 watts of sound coming through my window at 4am and beyond I would do more than complain.

True, but only if you were there first. If you build your house next to Talledega Speedway after it's been operating there for years and then complain about the noise, it's all on you.

Guest pod

Karu & Y moved in after the HH homes went up. It's all on them to prove they aren't a problem.

Space, Noc, etc, they were there first on 11th St, so it's up to the condos to prove the clubs are a problem.

Guest endymion

It has nothing to do with HfH. It's the residents in general. Noise is noise.

Exactly, yes.

Guest addictedtospace

It has nothing to do with HfH. It's the residents in general. Noise is noise.

Exactly, yes.

..and Crime is Crime. "Bite the hand that feeds you" is thier motto.

Guest JustDade

Karu & Y moved in after the HH homes went up. It's all on them to prove they aren't a problem.

Space, Noc, etc, they were there first on 11th St, so it's up to the condos to prove the clubs are a problem.

Actually....no. It really doesn't matter who was there first. In fact, this is not a "City" thing. The noise ordinance is a County Law. It doesn't matter if you're in Miami or Miami Beach, the County enforces these laws. It's also the way the City gets to pretend they're not screwing the clubs......"We're really sorry but it's not us, it's the County.

The law basically says that if your music can be heard 100 feet away, you're in violation.

While we were doing the Shadow Reunion at Karu & Y we got a couple of complaints about the volume. The cops told us about it and we turned it down....end of problem. The point is that there is a volume level that is acceptable to both the residents and the venue.

Guest pod

I was there last Saturday for Mykel's birthday/charity benefit and I noticed they had it fairly low in the Tottem Garden area.

Then later, I went over to 11th St. The wall at Space does work, you can barely hear anything. Nocturnal must have cut their system in half, but now that LP took measures at Space, you can really hear their system. Nocturnal needs to lose that great view they had and build a wall pronto.

Guest JustDade

I was there last Saturday for Mykel's birthday/charity benefit and I noticed they had it fairly low in the Tottem Garden area.

Then later, I went over to 11th St. The wall at Space does work, you can barely hear anything. Nocturnal must have cut their system in half, but now that LP took measures at Space, you can really hear their system. Nocturnal needs to lose that great view they had and build a wall pronto.

If SoBe is a model to go by, none of that will help. In Opium's case the noise was only a part of the problem. What drove the neighbors crazy was the street noise. All the cars with their horns fighting for parking spaces as well as the people shouting and littering. They still complained even after the sound was turned way down. All that Space and Noc traffic has to go right by those condos and there's no way for anyone to fix that problem.

Guest pod

How did Opium fix the problem then? It's been a few years since they had their issues with the noise, and they're still open. Grant it, there's no more clubs allowed south of 5th, but Opium is still open.

Call me an optimist, but I'd like to think there's a solution somewhere that keeps our condo-dwelling friends happy, and the clubs open and operational.

Guest coach

I think Karu's idea of providing complimentary valet is a good start on the solution. No drunks wandering down the street yelling. No parking horn fights. No cars parked illegally.

Guest RzO

but isnt opium still open?

what was the solution, they just play their music low?

if the isssue was street noise that doesn't seem to quell the problem yet they are still open

just wondering then what they did to appease all those condo people there

Guest pod

Hell, maybe little perks. Show proof of residence in the nearby condos and get some free drinks. :)

Guest addictedtospace

Hell, maybe little perks. Show proof of residence in the nearby condos and get some free drinks. :)

I got a better solution we make Space like Ibiza and only open in the summer. Cause you know everyone who is buying a condo on Biscayne lives somewhere else and only travel to Miami during our tourist season (Winter).

Guest endymion

I got a better solution we make Space like Ibiza and only open in the summer. Cause you know everyone who is buying a condo on Biscayne lives somewhere else and only travel to Miami during our tourist season (Winter).

Haha, that's not a bad idea. What like 60% of Miami's population disappears over summer? But the affordable housing residents around Karu & Y live there all year.

Guest pod

Well the condos are designed so you theoretically would never have to leave them.

And more and more, I see people staying the summer since there's more frequently tourists who come over during the summer to take advantage of cheaper rates.

Guest JustDade

but isnt opium still open?

what was the solution, they just play their music low?

if the isssue was street noise that doesn't seem to quell the problem yet they are still open

just wondering then what they did to appease all those condo people there

It actually solved itself when they opened Mansion. Most of the crowd went there and left the SoFi area. Prive is still hot but not big enough to cause a major neighborhood issue.

Guest pod

Well let's have those new cops do their jobs and curb the excessive rowdiness in the street then.

Guest addictedtospace

Well let's have those new cops do their jobs and curb the excessive rowdiness in the street then.

Damn rich athletes and their rowdiness.