Clubplanet Nightlife Community

When Fame Fades as a DJ... Why DT wrote what he wrote..

V. Barbarino

The question is this: will edm djs "sell out" and play open format, or mash ups or even hip hop? Even then there is no reason to book a dj, you can have local guys do the same thing with the same results for 100 bucks.

Some djs are facing their extinction with grace, others such as DT find it hard. Some like Tsettos and OG have lives outside of djing with educations or other businesses, and some djs, bought high end sports cars and have zero to show for making 6 figures a year years ago.

One dj you all know, once told me, "I was djing 4 nights a week, making huge money, I thought this was going to last forever".

You can forever talk about Viking Quest, or you can let it go and fade away gracefully.

Guest pod

If you still wanna stay in the game of dance music, the key is to produce. You wouldn't believe the amount of dance tracks that get picked up by movies, commercials, and TV shows. Hell, in the Sopranos, almost every time they're in the Bing, the background song is some dance track.

Guest myles hie

Plus, as you had mentioned, previously, there is basically zero radio air time for dance music, Stateside.

Satellite radio ftw...

It would be nice to have a regular FM station that didn't suck though.

If you still wanna stay in the game of dance music, the key is to produce. You wouldn't believe the amount of dance tracks that get picked up by movies, commercials, and TV shows. Hell, in the Sopranos, almost every time they're in the Bing, the background song is some dance track.

The funky green dogs made a scene at the Bing...

However you could produce the greatest underground track, it won't do shit for your career, you need something that will cross over and hit the radio. The clubbing population is so tiny now, no one will hear it if it doesn't cross over.

Guest pod

I've said that a lot too, you gotta make some catchy tracks to generate interest in what you're doing. I remember every time a single would come out, one mix would be the "radio mix".

Guest Orls

There are alot of good points on this thread but let me ask you this:

How different would DT's career be if he had never defected form Space?

I am not in the biz or by no means an expert in this area but just an outside observer and quite frankly it seems that DT's career here in Miami has tanked along with Twilo. Space on the other hand has done well through out and so, is there a possiblity things could be different for DT if he remained a resident w/Space?

Just a thought!!