Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The Google Van rules.

Guest pod

Guest pod

I wanna find out more about the van itself. The various little privacy implications aside, this is pretty cool tech.

Guest endymion

You've seen the places where it took photos of its own reflection on glass store fronts? Pretty boring van compared to the Microsoft one.

Guest pod

Yeah, it's like a minivan with a black dome.

Honestly, I think it's better that way. With the service becoming more public, a discreet vehicle is better.

Guest endymion

My attorney suspects that the Google van may be unmarked for legal reasons. The Microsoft van, covered in Microsoft promotional vinyl, could be considered a "production" vehicle. She suspects that maybe Google is preparing for anticipated lawsuits from some of those identifiable people spotted doing embarrassing things 'in public'.

There is now a whole new type of privacy abuse/invasion that we woke up on Tuesday morning not even anticipating. It's amazing how quickly tech moves forward and how much of it has to do with attorneys.

Guest pod

What Google seems to be standing on right now is that they're only doing as much as someone on the street with a camera could do.

Great idea, but I can see it getting messy soon.

Guest endymion

Great idea, but I can see it getting messy soon.

That's exactly what people said about Google Video the week that it was launched.

Guest RzO

yah this could get messy

per se the van happens to catch a crime in progress or some evidence that could be used in court. would this evidence be allowed?

i would think yes but i am no lawyer