• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ALKO-HAULIC

No names<<<<<< Just Your opinion

For me:

75% Song selection

15% Crowd Interaction

10% Mixing

not to be mean......but this is just STOOOPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously!!

Guest knebula

No names<<<<<< Just Your opinion

For me:

75% Song selection

15% Crowd Interaction

10% Mixing

not to be mean......but this is just STOOOPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously!!

I respect your opinion on my question...So what's your opinion anyway... so that I can give you mine on yours.... : :o

Guest knebula

1. Song selection

2. Flow/Mixing

3. # of pills eaten ;)

haha.....I know, I can drop some serious shit after a couple of Tylenols ;)

Guest dre4

1. mixing/set structure

2. track selection

3. everything else

any jo shmo can drop a "good" track, but a truly good dj knows how to mix and put his set 2gether. when out, most people don't care about that, as they are there to party not trainspot.

Guest knebula

1. mixing/set structure

2. track selection

3. everything else

any jo shmo can drop a "good" track, but a truly good dj knows how to mix and put his set 2gether. when out, most people don't care about that, as they are there to party not trainspot.

the good point there was set structure....

Guest 4040

1. mixing/set structure

2. track selection

3. everything else

Not everyone has good taste in music. I know that the last dj to spin at Nocturnal on the inside plays some shitty stuff. I'm still trying to figure out if he does this to make everyone go to the patio or leave. ???

Guest djcarlosf

the ability to spin vinyl and ONLY vinyl for 4 straight hours....

yeah.... :P

and a pair of great breasts

Guest meta

1. mixing/set structure

2. track selection

3. everything else

Not everyone has good taste in music. I know that the last dj to spin at Nocturnal on the inside plays some shitty stuff. I'm still trying to figure out if he does this to make everyone go to the patio or leave. ???

Alot of djs do it so people could leave. I heard EM played D&B at space one time to get the people to leave at like 5-6 in the afternoon.

so yeah dj's do it for the reason so people can leave or go to another room.

Guest pod

It was Nic Fanciulli, Cedric, and Deep Dish. They did it last year during the Yoshitoshi party. It was 4 PM and they said 'fuck it' and put drum n bass on.

CG:My favorite memories was last year (2006) at the Yoshi party when Sharam, Ali, Nic and I started tag teaming on the patio until 4 pm, and then Nic and Sharam started playing drum 'n bass to get people to go home!

Guest myles hie

It was Nic Fanciulli, Cedric, and Deep Dish. They did it last year during the Yoshitoshi party. It was 4 PM and they said 'fuck it' and put drum n bass on.

CG:My favorite memories was last year (2006) at the Yoshi party when Sharam, Ali, Nic and I started tag teaming on the patio until 4 pm, and then Nic and Sharam started playing drum 'n bass to get people to go home!

Score one for closed minded Miami dance music fan!

Go tribal/electro or go home indeed. :P

Guest pod

I wouldn't go that far necessarily. I don't mind drum n bass really, but it is certainly a jarring enough transition, enough to clear a room.

I'd dare to say if you put a house track in the middle of a drum n bass night, the reaction would be similar. Drum n bass and breaks fans tend to be rabid about their music.

Guest dre4

taste is subjective.

being the trainspotter and dj critic that I am (although i can have the best time at a bob sinclair etc aka cheesy electro party), I would go so far as to say that most people have terrible taste in music either because they don't know anything better or they don't care enough about the dj/music to listen to anything quality. the majority of people go out to clubs to have a good time and do not necessarily care which dj is spinning. many parties with top notch music ,according to us music snobs, aren't as popular as the bottles and models parties that imo play crap music.

I wouldn't go that far necessarily. I don't mind drum n bass really, but it is certainly a jarring enough transition, enough to clear a room.

I'd dare to say if you put a house track in the middle of a drum n bass night, the reaction would be similar. Drum n bass and breaks fans tend to be rabid about their music.

bossa nova drum & bass is good.

Guest knebula

taste is subjective.

being the trainspotter and dj critic that I am (although i can have the best time at a bob sinclair etc aka cheesy electro party), I would go so far as to say that most people have terrible taste in music either because they don't know anything better or they don't care enough about the dj/music to listen to anything quality. the majority of people go out to clubs to have a good time and do not necessarily care which dj is spinning. many parties with top notch music ,according to us music snobs, aren't as popular as the bottles and models parties that imo play crap music.

Taste is subjective that's for sure...There is still alot of potential down here for people to explore other aspects of music and understand quality vs. clubland capitalism....

DnB rules by the way.

Guest pod

Define quality? What is quality to me may not be quality to you and vice versa. I've never understood why a lot of music heads fall back on those descriptions when they are so subjective.

Guest web_norah

what makes a good DJ?

a DJ that plays for the crowd and not for HIMSELF/ HERSELF or the SPOTLIGHT.

fun, no CHAINSAW music also helps, no matter what time of the day/ night it is.

Guest knebula

Define quality? What is quality to me may not be quality to you and vice versa. I've never understood why a lot of music heads fall back on those descriptions when they are so subjective.

You are right Pod....The definition of quality is subjective to the taste, thats why I asked for people's opinions. I just wanted to see what people thought what made a good DJ (kind of like what makes a good president) Don't want you to think I'm superficial to just my description.