Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What makes a good DJ??

Guest knebula

Guest knebula

There's enough to go around for everyone. I think everyone needs to understand that. The music brownshirts, and whatever other factions there are...

EXACTLY...... and therefore the question was just to get an opinion on what makes a good dj from both the "jerkoffs" and the "fun people" perspectives. ;D

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest spacecadet

SWALLOW, oppps read the question wrong dont let music stop in the middle of the night :P

Guest Cosmigonon

taste is subjective.

most people have terrible taste in music either because they don't know anything better or they don't care enough about the dj/music to listen to anything quality.

Contradict much?

Guest pod

Like anything artistic, taste is very subjective. Saying someone has terrible taste in music is a pretty loaded term. Music can be terrible on a technical level, but on an aesthetic level, it's kinda hard to justify that.

Guest Buck White

a DJ that plays for the crowd and not for HIMSELF/ HERSELF

This is it. And we need a synonym for subjective at this juncture.

Guest pod

Though on the other side of the coin, a good DJ shouldn't be afraid to experiment. A great DJ isn't afraid to experiment and knows what experiments will work on a particular crowd.

Guest michael^heaven

a DJ that plays for the crowd and not for HIMSELF/ HERSELF

There has to be a balance, however. If you don't also play for yourself, then you do get bored. Therefore, the set/night/crowd, overall, suffers.

Guest meta

4573253_l1.jpg

Longevity maybe???? awww the good ol days

damn im old!!!

Where the hel did you find that flyer. Thats some Ol'Skool Sh*t.....

Yeah man thats back in da day for sure....

Hey I saw a pic of u w/ armando in your myspace....whats up with that fool???

Dude hes around busting his ass over at azucar and discotekka.

Guest meta

Though on the other side of the coin, a good DJ shouldn't be afraid to experiment. A great DJ isn't afraid to experiment and knows what experiments will work on a particular crowd.

a dj should have his name out before he can really experiment on a crowd. He needs to create a following. Once he has that then he can do what ever he wants with his music. as long as it sounds good.

Guest dre4

Like anything artistic, taste is very subjective. Saying someone has terrible taste in music is a pretty loaded term. Music can be terrible on a technical level, but on an aesthetic level, it's kinda hard to justify that.

i agree, but the same applies towards any form of art be it movies, theatre etc. one's great to one person isn't so hot to another, but there still remains a level of quality in any form of art, a level that is objective.

having said that, as dan and many others here have mentioned, one of the reasons the scene may be dying is bc of the schism among everyone who listens to edm as a whole. house heads won't go to trance parties and vice versa etc etc. i'll be the first to admit, that i am a huge critic of dj's and music, but that would never stop me from going to a party just bc so and so isn't playing or bc trance is being played. people do not go out just bc it is not their type of music, but at the same time, how can you expect people to go out and listen to music they do not enjoy?

Guest pod

True enough, but as I always reference, there was a day when more people went out to more events, even if the music wasn't precisely up to their discerning standards. They went because their friends were, and at the least, they had a good time bellying up to the bar and having a few drinks.

People just take DJs and music too seriously for some reason. Even DJs don't take it as seriously as some of the people out there.

Guest JustDade

i agree, but the same applies towards any form of art be it movies, theatre etc. one's great to one person isn't so hot to another, but there still remains a level of quality in any form of art, a level that is objective.

having said that, as dan and many others here have mentioned, one of the reasons the scene may be dying is bc of the schism among everyone who listens to edm as a whole. house heads won't go to trance parties and vice versa etc etc. i'll be the first to admit, that i am a huge critic of dj's and music, but that would never stop me from going to a party just bc so and so isn't playing or bc trance is being played. people do not go out just bc it is not their type of music, but at the same time, how can you expect people to go out and listen to music they do not enjoy?

I don't know about all that. I don't happen to care for DnB. I'm not going to any DnB parties. I would never say that DnB "sucks" but I know I'll have more fun somewhere else so I won't go just to support the scene.

Guest pod

I'm not suggesting we all go out to everything no matter what, but let's be honest here, is it really that horrid to just carouse by the side bar when it's plain old house on?

Guest madmax

I think there is too much focus on a djs tech attributes and not enpugh on there taste in music.

Guest coach

For a DJ?

From the Wiki.

There are several types of DJs: radio DJs play music that is broadcast on AM, FM, shortwave or digital radio stations; club DJs select and play music in a club, disco, a rave, or even a stadium; hip hop disc jockeys select, play and create music with multiple turntables as a hip-hop artist and/or performer, often backing up one or more MCs; a reggae disc jockey (deejay) is a vocalist who raps, toasts, or chats over pre-recorded rhythm tracks; and mobile disc jockeys travel with mobile sound systems and play from an extensive collection of pre-recorded music.

And this is my point. You have an entire paragraph of different job-description, many of them *quite* different, all applied to the term "DJ." I mean, is Kidd Kraddick's job anything like what Oscar G does? Not at all. What about the difference between a regular club CD-rotating DJ and a turntablist, who actually uses the decks as part of his musical instruments?

Guest LeVeL

Somone who plays record or CD's amd blends in songs every 4 to 6 minutes. Someone who has an addiction either it be alcoholic or drugs. Someone who has an allegiance of groupies and guys with mancrush that identify each single track that is played .

That defines a good DJ.

Guest redcommibastard

I agree with Pod & Dade - thats such a subjective question ... what makes a good painter, writer, etc - matter of personal preference more than anything. Sure like any other artist, a DJ should posses some proffecionalism/skills/be able to read the crowd and be true to him/herself to a degree maybe like 10% - but at the end of the day I believe 90% of the time beauty is in the ears of the beholder - depending on the overall club environment, your company of friends/significant other and your blood to alcohol/drug level. Track selection and even mixing skills will fade away in importance very quickly if you're in a company of great people and a couple of drinks into the it :)

Guest pod

So true. I mean, there's some basic stuff you need to be good at to be a DJ. Knowing how not to abuse a sound system, not trainwreck, that sort of thing. Beyond that, it's subjective.

Guest meta

Good dj's are music nerds.

Not really you just got to love what you do... You dont have to know every single track that everyone has produced to be a dj.. I think it is just pure passion and love for the music.

Guest rhythmburn

I think it is just pure passion and love for the music.

this is EXACTLY what makes a good DJ...

Guest Adam Singer

I think it is just pure passion and love for the music.

this is EXACTLY what makes a good DJ...

absolutely, a good dj has a pure passion for music

a great dj does something innovative/unique with that passion

Guest Marina22

I agree with you guys..^^ As my bf who is a music lover and dj says "pushing the envelope". I personally love it when a dj is enjoying his own set as much as the crowd is. Therefore, he/she should have a balance between the music and their passion. From a capitalist perspective, well, that's why they call them starving artists. Sure you can turn a profit but you must first have some skills, passion for music, get a following, some marketing techniques and then hopefully you can make some money. Taken from a Miss Kittin set I am listening to now..

"Hey dj can you play club music? All this hip-hop shit's gotta go. Excuse me, I just got here. I wanna shake my ass, I love club music." :P