Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Tipping for take out?

Guest Seb

Guest flux

Yep, that's why I edited my last post. It's definitely a great site though, for food workers and lovers alike.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coach
Now, no one ever tipped me or any of the other receptionists. IMO it sounds a lot like your hostess job. The stylists and nail techs and estheticians and assistants, etc. all got tipped but the receptionists never did.

Actually, it sounds like the hairdressers should have tipped you out like a lot of bartenders/waitstaff do with their support personnel.

Guest Devilicious

I used to hostess for a really busy Italian restaurant in California. I wasn't being paid much, like $7/hr. I was in charge of seating people, answering the phone, manging the register and to-go orders. 50% of the business was take-out, and when an order came in, I had to ring it into the computer, put the ticket in the back, package everything correctly (salad dressings correct, extra bread, side of crushed red pepper, this and that on the side, extra napkins, etc.). It was a real process, especially with large orders which could take up to 10 minutes to package. In my case, I definitely expected a tip.

When I first moved here, I was hired at Outback as a bartender (transferred from Cali) but I had to work a few curb-side carry-out shifts too. Again, preparing everything correctly is a long process, plus I had to run it out (often times in the rain) to the car. This deserves a tip!

Finally, as a bartender, I was responsible for take-out orders too. This means I had to leave my busy bar to get everything together. The short of it? Someone's taking the time to do something for you, your food doesn't magically appear in the boxes and ramekins by itself. Have a heart, give the person a tip, or go to BK and get a donkey-burger or whatever.

Based on what you're saying then, we should tip the receptionist at the hair salon, too.

I used to be a receptionist at a relatively large salon. Always 2 receptionists on duty to handle things. And sometimes 3 on Fridays and Saturdays. With 50+ employees. Now, I had to make appointments on the computer in person and on the phone. Greet clients, check them in, let their stylist know their client had arrived. Bring them coffee, water, wine, etc. Help sell products on the floor. Run around the salon to make sure stylists, nail techs, etc. were running on time for their clients. Ring up clients when they were done with services. Sort out problems that arise. Manage the register, as well. Call and confirm the next day's appointments. Call clients who had not shown up to their appointments. Clean up areas when necessary. Close the register out at night, making sure all tickets from the day matched what the register & computer said and blah blah blah.

And I started out there getting paid basically what you got paid, although I did have some pay raises by the time I left. I was there for 5 years.

Now, no one ever tipped me or any of the other receptionists. IMO it sounds a lot like your hostess job. The stylists and nail techs and estheticians and assistants, etc. all got tipped but the receptionists never did.

Sorry Mich but there's one fundamental difference:

The stylists, techs, eastheticians, bartenders and hostesses (like flux) are providing a service. Receptionists are not.

Now, since you brought them tea and coffee or whatever that's a different story - you should have been "tipped out" by the other personnel.

Guest flux

Actually, it sounds like the hairdressers should have tipped you out like a lot of bartenders/waitstaff do with their support personnel.

Agreed, very valid point.

Also, I'm not saying that the customer is the enemy. The customer is how I earn a living and enjoy my job. It's a 2 way street of mutual respect.

Guest lulamishka

I used to hostess for a really busy Italian restaurant in California. I wasn't being paid much, like $7/hr. I was in charge of seating people, answering the phone, manging the register and to-go orders. 50% of the business was take-out, and when an order came in, I had to ring it into the computer, put the ticket in the back, package everything correctly (salad dressings correct, extra bread, side of crushed red pepper, this and that on the side, extra napkins, etc.). It was a real process, especially with large orders which could take up to 10 minutes to package. In my case, I definitely expected a tip.

When I first moved here, I was hired at Outback as a bartender (transferred from Cali) but I had to work a few curb-side carry-out shifts too. Again, preparing everything correctly is a long process, plus I had to run it out (often times in the rain) to the car. This deserves a tip!

Finally, as a bartender, I was responsible for take-out orders too. This means I had to leave my busy bar to get everything together. The short of it? Someone's taking the time to do something for you, your food doesn't magically appear in the boxes and ramekins by itself. Have a heart, give the person a tip, or go to BK and get a donkey-burger or whatever.

Based on what you're saying then, we should tip the receptionist at the hair salon, too.

I used to be a receptionist at a relatively large salon. Always 2 receptionists on duty to handle things. And sometimes 3 on Fridays and Saturdays. With 50+ employees. Now, I had to make appointments on the computer in person and on the phone. Greet clients, check them in, let their stylist know their client had arrived. Bring them coffee, water, wine, etc. Help sell products on the floor. Run around the salon to make sure stylists, nail techs, etc. were running on time for their clients. Ring up clients when they were done with services. Sort out problems that arise. Manage the register, as well. Call and confirm the next day's appointments. Call clients who had not shown up to their appointments. Clean up areas when necessary. Close the register out at night, making sure all tickets from the day matched what the register & computer said and blah blah blah.

And I started out there getting paid basically what you got paid, although I did have some pay raises by the time I left. I was there for 5 years.

Sorry Mich but there's one fundamental difference:

The stylists, techs, eastheticians, bartenders and hostesses (like flux) are providing a service. Receptionists are not.

Now, since you brought them tea and coffee or whatever that's a different story - you should have been "tipped out" by the other personnel.

Hey don't get me wrong, I never expected a tip nor ever thought I deserved the tip. It was my job. It was everyone else there who deserved/earned the tip. I just made the comparison/obversation to the hostess job because it sounded a bit similar.

Guest mr.miami

tipping for take out sounds bizarre. I would definitely not tip for that. I've yet to run into that.

Guest flux

It's a great site though, http://www.bitterwaitress.net/smf

Wow... I have been paging thru the threads on there for the last hour! lol. It's a slow day here at work.

This could easily become addicting. Great forum!

Yeah, as a bartender I have been addicted to that site for almost a year now. Did you see the thread about Sublime, like yours??

PS - the mod and creator, "Bitter Waitress" is actually a gay male. LOL, go figure!

I dont agree. I would never tip the receptionist at a salon. But I do tip the hair washer, the nail lady, the wax lady, and the stylist. Your job as a receptionist is sales and appointment making, you didnt help me anymore than any other receptionist. You should have asked for more money if you had been there for 5 years.

Guest lulamishka

Wow... I have been paging thru the threads on there for the last hour! lol. It's a slow day here at work.

Yeah, as a bartender I have been addicted to that site for almost a year now. Did you see the thread about Sublime, like yours??

PS - the mod and creator, "Bitter Waitress" is actually a gay male. LOL, go figure!

Actually, I didn't see that thread! I'll have to go back and look for it!

And lol... if you hadn't told me, I probably wouldn't have noticed that Bitter Waitress is a gay male haha!

Guest lulamishka

I dont agree. I would never tip the receptionist at a salon. But I do tip the hair washer, the nail lady, the wax lady, and the stylist. Your job as a receptionist is sales and appointment making, you didnt help me anymore than any other receptionist. You should have asked for more money if you had been there for 5 years.

Am I touching nerves here? For the record, I never was complaining that I didn't get tipped as a receptionist. And I never said that $7/hr was what I got paid for the entire duration of my 5 years at the salon. I started out at $6.50 and it obviously went up from there. I never expected a tip nor ever thought I deserved the tip. It was my job. It was everyone else there who deserved/earned the tip. I just made the comparison/obversation to the hostess job because it sounded a bit similar to me.

Guest Davenavarro10

I'm not exactly sure, but I think some places like Flannigans automatically add a 10% fee to your bill when you get take out. Do any of you junkies know for sure?

Guest lulamishka

Actually, I didn't see that thread! I'll have to go back and look for it!

And lol... if you hadn't told me, I probably wouldn't have noticed that Bitter Waitress is a gay male haha!

Hmm, I just skimmed thru all 19 pages of threads and could not find one about Sublime. Can you point me in the right direction?

Guest swirlundergrounder

I'm all for tipping bartenders and servers.

But I don't tip when I go pick up my own food that is handed to me in a plastic bag.

Check out clerks in grocery stores do more work checking and bagging your groceries up and sticking them in your cart right???

So do you tip them? No.

So why should you tip a hostess or host at a resturaunt who go's into the back and gets your food or hand you your bag of food that is sitting at the counter waiting for you to pick up?

Guest swirlundergrounder

Actually, I tip my hair stylist more than that because she does an awesome job. I tip the shampoo lady, too

VERY TRUE.

I tip my hair dresser 100% of my bill.

I have lived here for 4 years and it took me 3 years to find a hair dresser that I'm happy with.

She shampoos my hair, give me a head massage and on top of cutting my hair (as if she has known my hair for years) she's also really-really hot!

She only charges $20 for all of that.

I tip her $20 extra dollars (so 100% of my bill).

I feel a good mens hair cut should cost at least $35 without the tip.

Guest coach

I'm all for tipping bartenders and servers.

But I don't tip when I go pick up my own food that is handed to me in a plastic bag.

Check out clerks in grocery stores do more work checking and bagging your groceries up and sticking them in your cart right???

So do you tip them? No.

So why should you tip a hostess or host at a resturaunt who go's into the back and gets your food or hand you your bag of food that is sitting at the counter waiting for you to pick up?

Actually, tipping the people who bagged and took your groceries to your car used to be commonplace. Then, certain stores started "competing" by disallowing the baggers to accept tips. Eventually, this non-tipping became the standard. Then they just did away with having the baggers also take your groceries to your car. All done in the name of making a buck for the bosses.

Guest michael^heaven

I almost always tip at least something. Whether it is for my stylist, bartender(s), delivery person, etc. Now, I'm with Terry as far as if I'm picking up a food order, then no tip because I'm doing the leg-work. Otherwise, Ya!

Guest macboy

Let's take it another step. Delivery orders. What about restaurants that tack on a surcharge for delivery. Do you still tip the delivery guy? Isn't that delivery surcharge for his benefit?

Guest lulamishka

Let's take it another step. Delivery orders. What about restaurants that tack on a surcharge for delivery. Do you still tip the delivery guy? Isn't that delivery surcharge for his benefit?

I haven't had delivery in a while, but I know I have left some sort of tip in the past, whether or not there was a delivery surcharge. Whether it was adequate tip or not, I don't know. I don't recall calculating a percentage of the total like I do when I'm at a restaurant.

I think a lot of these delivery surcharges are nowadays more for covering gas expenses than really benefiting the delivery person. At least that's my assumption.