Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Tipping for take out?

Guest Seb

Guest Devilicious

Let's take it another step. Delivery orders. What about restaurants that tack on a surcharge for delivery. Do you still tip the delivery guy? Isn't that delivery surcharge for his benefit?

I've often wondered the same - gotta ask next time. My guess is that it goes to the restaurant (under the guise of paying for gas maybe?) Especially because the charge is added on to the ticket, meaning it's in the POS system, meaning it's likely going to the establishment. I know they still expect a tip even when there's a surcharge for the delivery

Terry, I cannot believe it! You should re-read Flux's first post to see why it's neccesary to tip the take-out folks. Or just picture this: you're bartending, there's people at the bar waiting for a drink, but you have to answer the phone, take the to-go order, go to the kitchen to bag and organize a to go order, and finally close out the check. You could have been making money with your bar customers, but you can't ignore the to-go order!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 0crystal0

I'm all for tipping bartenders and servers.

But I don't tip when I go pick up my own food that is handed to me in a plastic bag.

Check out clerks in grocery stores do more work checking and bagging your groceries up and sticking them in your cart right???

So do you tip them? No.

So why should you tip a hostess or host at a resturaunt who go's into the back and gets your food or hand you your bag of food that is sitting at the counter waiting for you to pick up?

Actually, tipping the people who bagged and took your groceries to your car used to be commonplace. Then, certain stores started "competing" by disallowing the baggers to accept tips. Eventually, this non-tipping became the standard. Then they just did away with having the baggers also take your groceries to your car. All done in the name of making a buck for the bosses.

and now you end up bagging your own. which isn't always a bad thing bc i hate when they put the eggs and flour in the same bag. publix will still take your bags to your car. kinda nice

Guest JMT

Remember guys, tipping isn't a city in China. ;D I'm sorry, I had to.

Lula bans people for jokes that bad in this forum.

Guest endymion

What about restaurants that tack on a surcharge for delivery. Do you still tip the delivery guy?

Only if it's raining.

Guest flux

I can't believe some of you guys don't tip for delivery!!! Like serving, that is a job that depends on tips! Ever wonder why the place you regularly order from (without tipping) takes so long? That's why! You're known as "that asshole that doesn't tip".

I have a feeling restaurants are tacking on the tip to take-out orders because they know the amount of work it takes to do take-out. Remember, like I said, if it's a big order (not just a pizza or something) it takes a lot of work and prep, especially with all the modifications and extras people tend to want. I think that almost everyone in the service industry would agree.

Also, Lula, here's the link to that thread: http://bitterwaitress.net/smf/index.php?topic=4481.0

Guest mr.miami

Take out id never tip for. never ever tip for. Delivery i would tip for and if it was already charged onto my bill i wouldnt tip if I thought it was enough. Restaurants shouldnt force you to pay a tip anyway.

Guest flux

At the 2 places I worked that had delivery, the charge did NOT go to the driver, usually it went into the owner's pocket.

Guest coach

I can't believe some of you guys don't tip for delivery!!! Like serving, that is a job that depends on tips! Ever wonder why the place you regularly order from (without tipping) takes so long? That's why! You're known as "that asshole that doesn't tip".

Ha ha! Nicely said.

Guest lulamishka

Also, Lula, here's the link to that thread: http://bitterwaitress.net/smf/index.php?topic=4481.0

Thanks for the link! :) I'm having the same issue as before, though. :( What is the title of the thread?

Topic: Vegan Restaurant in Ft Lauderdale YUM! :) It's in the Soup or Salad section.

Oh damn, you know what... I think you see more boards than I do! I haven't joined yet, because if I do, I'm afraid this site *really will* become another addiction. The only 2 boards I see are "There Will be a Short Wait for A Table" and "The CD's skipping!" Looks like I'll have to register now... God help me. LOL!

Guest endymion

I can't believe some of you guys don't tip for delivery!!!

The question was, IF a tip is included in the bill, then do I tip the delivery guy extra on top of that? I said not unless it's raining. If the tip is NOT included in the bill then of course I tip the delivery guy. And if it's raining then I'll tip even if it's already included.

When a restaurant includes the tip in the bill, in my case the server gets screwed. I tip at least 20% normally, but if they include a 15% tip without asking me then that's all they get.

Guest Devilicious

The question was, IF a tip is included in the bill, then do I tip the delivery guy extra on top of that? I said not unless it's raining. If the tip is NOT included in the bill then of course I tip the delivery guy. And if it's raining then I'll tip even if it's already included.

When a restaurant includes the tip in the bill, in my case the server gets screwed. I tip at least 20% normally, but if they include a 15% tip without asking me then that's all they get.

problem is: a "delivery charge" does not neccesarily equal a tip for the employee. This is the discrepancy we're wondering about

Guest endymion

No I don't deduct a 'delivery charge' from the server's tip. Only if it says "gratuity".

Can't think of any places on South Beach other than San Loco that add a delivery charge.

Guest macboy

I never said I don't tip delivery guys. I was just asking about the surcharge. Not sure how it is done here though. In Manhattan, the majority of delivery people are undocumented aliens who don't speak a word of english. They don't get paid a cent from the restaurant so they work strictly on delivery tips. The reason the restaurants get away with it is because there are so many coming in looking for delivery jobs. I remember sitting in one rotisserie joint on the upper east side for about a half hour and must have seen 10 guys walk in looking for work.

Guest Devilicious

La sandwicherie

Yummy

wing zone

and

yes, even Papa John's!

You might not realize that they do it, but they do. Sometimes it does depend on what time of day/night you order, for example sandwicherie doesn't charge in the lunch rush but does late nite.

Guest swirlundergrounder

Let's take it another step. Delivery orders. What about restaurants that tack on a surcharge for delivery. Do you still tip the delivery guy? Isn't that delivery surcharge for his benefit?

I always tip them.

More often then not the compensation for gas that a delivery driver makes is not enough to cover the cost of gas and depreciation on the car of the delivery driver.

Plus delievry drivers have to be on time otherwise if they are late with one order, his or her whole car load of orders is late so I do know that they do their best to make it on time.

imo, a delivery driver does much more work than a server in a resturaunt.

Guest swirlundergrounder

Do the delivery drivers get paid that delivery charge that is added onto your bill?

Guest flux

I've never worked at nor heard of a delivery place that gives the delivery person any portion of the delivery charge. Some places may reimburse a small amount for gas, though.

Guest Electric Eel

So speaking of tips, today i went to get my auto tag renewed at one of those private branches. So these people do nothing out of the ordinary then what they are paid to do but on each of their counters they had tip cups!! WTF???

Guest JMT

So speaking of tips, today i went to get my auto tag renewed at one of those private branches. So these people do nothing out of the ordinary then what they are paid to do but on each of their counters they had tip cups!! WTF???

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Guest endymion

Do the delivery drivers get paid that delivery charge that is added onto your bill?

If the restaurant lies to me and doesn't pay him then they're the asshole, not me.