Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Incubator startup: inverted V tail light aircraft

Guest endymion

Guest endymion

Adam Aircraft already makes a plane with a tail like that.

That is not a V-tail.

Barbarino, you fail the class. Try again next semester. "Engine" and "motor" mean specific, different things. And I thought you were a car guy. I guess that's why you drive them instead of designing them.

A parachute isn't necessarily a bad idea. But that would be an unrelated invention, maybe an optional accessory. Even most ultralight pilots don't bother trying to rig a parachute to the plane. To themselves, maybe, to the plane, very rare. Too much weight, and not likely to help much in real-world emergencies. A much more critical safety feature is enhanced stability at stall speed, which the inverted V tail provides. If you stall and flip or if you go into a flat spin or if you get tossed by wind shear during a landing approach, probably the three most likely emergencies, a parachute won't help in any of those cases. Good handling, especially at stall speed, will help.

Guest endymion

Well that jet is also way more expensive. The whole point of the Advanced Aero product is that it's affordable. The LSA specification is a lot like the Indy Car specifications. They can't go faster than 140, stall speed has to be 50 MPH or less, etc, etc. Fewer FAA regulations if your aircraft qualifies, and much easier to get a license to fly them.

Tech watch F1 or nascar they use motor and engine all the time, there is zero difference.

Again, every week a small plane hits a house somewhere, the chutes would ad extra safety precaution that should be implemented into the initial design.

Sounds to me you are building the worlds cheapest plane, not something I would get in.

Guest endymion

Tech watch F1 or nascar they use motor and engine all the time, there is zero difference.

Incorrect colloquial use of the word "motor" as a synonym for "engine" does not change the fact that a motor and and engine are two different things. NASCAR people also eat 'freedom fries' instead of 'French fries' so be careful who you pick for role models on terminology. In the Space Coast, the difference between a motor and an engine is a critical, important distinction. Both are in heavy use in various projects up here and yes, it's very important to use correct terminology. NASCAR people only use engines, so there is no risk of confusion if they incorrectly say "motor" sometimes, but that's slang. It is not technically correct usage of the word "motor".

Sounds to me you are building the worlds cheapest plane, not something I would get in.

But yet you'll drive down I-95 in South Florida every day, which is far more dangerous than flying an LSA.

I'm not personally involved in the Advanced Aero project BTW, it's not my baby. I'm here building web widgets. I just think that the LSA is a cool project and I can't wait to buy one. My dad can't wait to jump out of one. He takes off in a lot of airplanes, but he rarely lands in them.

Guest pod

I wouldn't mind an LSA either.

What I'd really love to have is a VTOL LSA. I could stick it at the apt in the District, and land near Lincoln.

Guest macboy

Macboy, are any of your clients interested in the upcoming SSBJs?

Time is money to this target market, so yes they would be. But define "upcoming." I think it will be a while before these get type certification. Right now the fastest available private jet is the Citation X, which travels at mach 0.92.

Guest endymion

Pod definitely needs a Mig. If he could figure out how to launch it from the deck of the Silver Goose then he'd be his own country.