Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Good service ANYWHERE in South Beach?

Guest endymion

Guest endymion

The only decent service I've had in South Beach in a very very very long time has been at Barton G. There's not even any point in listing the places where you get crap service because the list would be so long, but the Van Dyke Cafe is at the top of the list.

Were can you get decent service in South Beach without paying Barton G prices? In my book, "decent" means that the servers don't give you attitude, they don't have marital spats and feuds with other servers right in front of you while you're trying to eat, and you don't have to get up from your table and go looking for them when you want to pay the check and escape.

Okay I can't resist, one time at Sushi Samba our waiter corrected my wife's pronunciation of the word "edamame", in the most asshole, condescending way possible. My wife is Japanese. Thanks, prick, zero tip for you, oh and by the way YOU'RE pronouncing it wrong...

Guest coach

The time we went to Chocolate, the service was great, but we've only been there once. 11th St diner is always good, though sometimes slow. No attitude. Lime is awesome, but there's not much to the service. You order at the counter, but they bring the food to you very promptly, and always with a smile. Piola has been good the times we've been. I'll try to think of more.

Guest macboy

Emeril's in #1 in my book for top service on the Beach.

Casa Tua

Vivi (just ate there last week - in the Bentley Beach - good service, ok food)

Sushi Rock, when we eat there, but we usually take out.

Maybe we should ask if there is at least one place on Lincoln Road that provides good service. I'm still looking.

Guest pod

"Ma'am, it's Ed-uhh-maim!"

Best service on South Beach I ever got was when I found a well-stocked vending machine in a hotel.

Guest ramon

Emeril's in #1 in my book for top service on the Beach.

Casa Tua

Vivi (just ate there last week - in the Bentley Beach - good service, ok food)

Sushi Rock, when we eat there, but we usually take out.

Maybe we should ask if there is at least one place on Lincoln Road that provides good service. I'm still looking.

I like Sushi Rock. Nabayeki Udon ftw.

Guest macboy

That's funny, I didn't like Sushi Rock at all. I like Doraku better, actually.

You like Doraku because of the Friday freebies at happy hour. :P

Remember this is about service, not food. Doraku service is so-so.

Guest slamminshaun

Tech, you're not alone. I've spoken out about the lousy service down there so many times, I've lost count. I'm beginning to think the gratuity being added to one's bill is less about "European culture" and more about having a license to shit on people and not suffer for it.

Guest mursa

I don't mean to blow my own horn ...but I can safely say that Emerils has great service , if not the best on the beach, very much in the top 3 ..

Im a front server there now , and rose up through the ranks Buser- Back waiter to Front waiter ...and yes, we do take a big enphesis on giving the diner a memorable experience .

As far as being expensive ........hey , its fine dining , and you definetly won't leave hungry .( For those on a budget , Miami Spice is coming up soon) ..Wine list mark up is around 3 , while many in Lincoln road mark up 5 fold . Or you can always go to Prime112 , and pay 75$ for a piece of steak (literally) and jab someone in the cheek as you cut through a kobe ribeye .

8)

Guest coach

So, what's the result? You guys find any place that has decent service that us normal folk can afford?

Actually, we've always had good service at Hosteria and El Rancho Grande, in addition to the ones I mentioned above.

Guest Devilicious

The problem with service is lack of consistency. I've had great service at any number of south beach restaurants once or maybe even twice, but the rest of the time it's inadequate or worse, rude. It's usually one person taking care of you.... basically a crap shoot.

I've observed very high turnover here and much confusion from wait staff [management doesn't adequately train them?]. I haven't worked in any sobe restaurants but I have worked in some others and like in any industry the best thing management/ownership can do for their business is treat their employees well and that attitude will trickle all the way down.

Anyway I'm just sayin, with the hundreds of people out there waiting tables and almost all of them suck, is it possible that the problem lies a little higher up?

James I agree, Ranco Grande does a good job. Piola on Lincoln too.

Guest coach

Anyway I'm just sayin, with the hundreds of people out there waiting tables and almost all of them suck, is it possible that the problem lies a little higher up?

Nice analysis.

Hey, macboy, can you give us a thought on Clarkes? We dropped by last night just for drinks, but they seemed pretty cool. Have you eaten there? How's the service?

Also, I've heard good things about Opa. Anybody know about that one?

Guest Electric Eel

Nice analysis.

Hey, macboy, can you give us a thought on Clarkes? We dropped by last night just for drinks, but they seemed pretty cool. Have you eaten there? How's the service?

If you like being rushed to eat and then kicked out of your table as soon as you are done then sure Opa is great, lol

Guest lulamishka

Nice analysis.

If you like being rushed to eat and then kicked out of your table as soon as you are done then sure Opa is great, lol

If you're gonna go to Opa, go to the one in Hollywood (?) instead of the SoBe one.

Guest Devilicious

Nice analysis.

Specific to Sobe -

Service at the bar is great. I've had two experiences with table service:

1. The girl was friendly, attentive and eager to please if not a little flakey. We didn't feel rushed at all.

2. It was dead; the service was good

Again goes back to which server you get stuck with on any given night, I'm not surprised to hear some of them are pushy.

Guest macboy

Great neighborhood bar, service is friendly and prompt. Burgers are good, but more than a typical bar menu. It has some traditional Irish dishes (none that I've tried) as well. Pot pies and that sort of thing.

Guest LeVeL

I wanted to ask everybody this question..have any of you ever tried to fight for the Gratuity to be removed from the bill, anybody ever tried to tell a manager about it?

I have never done it before but I would like to hear what the results were once you did complain, because in the end the customer is always right and thats a given in the service industry.

Guest Devilicious

I wanted to ask everybody this question..have any of you ever tried to fight for the Gratuity to be removed from the bill' date=' anybody ever tried to tell a manager about it?

I have never done it before but I would like to hear what the results were once you did complain, because in the end the customer is always right and thats a given in the service industry.

[/quote']

You don't have to fight at all! Even though it is "included" on your check, the money is not owed to the establishment, or to anyone.

If paying with cash, simply leave what you consider to be appropriate. If paying credit, tell the server you prefer to leave the amount of gratuity that you feel accurately reflects the service received. You can ask them to take it off, your check or more simply, write over the "recommended" tip amount with what you want to leave, or cross it out and sign. They can't do shit about it. Keep your receipt; your cc company will defend you, esp if you use amex ;)

Guest LeVeL

I wanted to ask everybody this question..have any of you ever tried to fight for the Gratuity to be removed from the bill, anybody ever tried to tell a manager about it?

You don't have to fight at all! Even though it is "included" on your check, the money is not owed to the establishment, or to anyone.

If paying with cash, simply leave what you consider to be appropriate. If paying credit, tell the server you prefer to leave the amount of gratuity that you feel accurately reflects the service received. You can ask them to take it off, your check or more simply, write over the "recommended" tip amount with what you want to leave, or cross it out and sign. They can't do shit about it. Keep your receipt; your cc company will defend you, esp if you use amex ;)

Its common sense..but thanks for the info..I will certaintly do that from now on...

yep, i have to do this EVERY TIME i go to nikki beach! :P

Guest Devilicious

yep, i have to do this EVERY TIME i go to nikki beach! :P

lol, not at my bar! At the tables, that is definitely a different story :-X

Guest web_norah

The only places where service has been decent in my experience --

Casa Tua

Joe Stone Crab lunchtime

Lincoln Rd is perhaps the worst, Books and Books was ok but nothing spectacular out of the ordinary -as far as service is concerned.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest coach

Okay, so far consistently Lucky Strike has had quality service every time we've been there. I think it might be my new favorite place to eat.