Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Miami Spice Restaurant Month 2007

Guest lulamishka

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lulamishka

I def want to do some weekend afternoon lunches. Im making a list to choose from. :)

Oh yes... weekend afternoon lunches sound spectacular to me. Can't wait to see your list!

Guest lulamishka

Article in today's Miami Herald Tropical Life section:

CRITIC'S PICKS

The best ways to add Miami Spice to your dining

BY VICTORIA PESCE ELLIOTT

velliott@MiamiHerald.com

You could go out for dinner every night in the sweltering months of August and September and still not get to all the restaurants on this year's bulging roster for Miami Spice, the restaurant-months promotion that kicks off its sixth year Wednesday.

So far, some 90 restaurateurs have paid $900 to $950 to the Greater Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau (plus $650 or more in GMCVB membership dues) for the privilege of offering summer diners huge discounts. That's slightly less than last year's fee.

What has gone up is the price of the meals. From a mere $30.06 last year to a still-reasonable $35, a three-course dinner jumped more than 15 percent. Three-course lunch menus are up 10 percent to $22. Considering the rapidly escalating cost of doing business in Miami-Dade, that can still translate into terrific savings -- 30 to 50 percent off regular menu prices if you choose wisely.

As always, this high-profile promo includes both great deals and sticky wickets. There are veteran participants like Tuscan Steak, Timo and North One 10 that happily greet guests with the Miami Spice menu in hand, and others that tend to treat Spice diners like second-class citizens. (Neomi's at The Trump Sonesta and Touch on Lincoln Road both generated complaints last time; let's hope they have the welcome mat out this year.)

I never thought I would see The Restaurant at the Setai on this lineup. I once spent more there on a meal for four than I earn in a month. With the new executive chef, Jonathan Wright, offering a generous selection of three appetizers and as many entrees at lunch and dinner daily, this has got to be the program's most outstanding value.

Options include such delicacies as five-spiced Peking duck consommé with black wood-ear mushrooms; salad of Asian pear, organic vegetables and green apple foam; as well as Tandoori chicken and roasted Kurobuta pork belly. Vegetarians can indulge in fried bean curd with Thai eggplant and bamboo shoots. (Be aware that beverages can boost the bill big-time: Wines by the glass are pricey, and even bottled water can run $12 a bottle.)

Another of the most enticing values by one of Miami's most talented toques is offered at Douglas Rodriguez's OLA Restaurant. There you can feast on ham croquettes with Parmesan ice cream, garlicky octopus with lemon espuma or melon salad with crispy Serrano crumbles. Entrees include pan-seared codfish with saffron-crab potato purée and Seville lemon mojo and an outrageous beef tenderloin glazed with rioja alongside a goat cheese, dried fig and frisée salad.

Other places that look to be offering a real steal in gorgeous settings include the enchanting Cioppino at the Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, La Cofradia, The Blue Door at the Delano and La Marea.

This is also a great time to check out some of the area's high-ticket celebrity names including Emeril's, Christian Delouvrier's La Goulue, Devito South Beach, David Bouley Evolution and Govind Armstrong's delightful Table 8 South Beach. Other pricey newcomers worth sampling without breaking the bank: Prime Blue Grill, Cielo Garden & Supper Club, Cohiba Brasserie and Oceanaire Seafood Room.

I use this time of year to revisit promising places that proved less than stellar when they first opened but have been working to improve. On my list: 510 Ocean, O Asian Grill, Grass Lounge, Santo and the spectacular-looking Karu & Y (closed Aug. 27-Sept. 13).

Miami Spice is also an excuse to revisit old favorites such as Escopazzo, Palme d'Or at the Biltmore, Edgar Leal's always delicious Cacao, the stunning Biscaya at the Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Chef Allen's, Pascal's on Ponce and the aforementioned Tuscan Steak, Timo and North One 10.

Azul, along with Smith & Wollensky, is offering lunch only, but don't let that deter you. Azul's crispy Ipswich clams with jalapeño aioli and bacalao or grilled rainbow trout with wild mushroom salad would get me away from my desk any day.

If you love a good meal at a great price, plan to spend some serious time exploring the menus and schedules at ilovemiamispice.com (a new Web address this year).

In general, I avoid places that only offer pastas or cheap chicken dishes as entrees (like Il Mulino) as well as ones that haven't bothered to post a sample menu. I also skip places that already have value-priced menus.

Look for restaurants that offer at least three options for each category, especially if dining with a crowd. Many restaurants will be changing their offerings weekly, so check back often. So much food; so little time.

Victoria Pesce Elliott reviews Miami restaurants for The Herald.

http://www.miamiherald.com/277/story/181481.html

Guest lulamishka

Also from that article:

THE FINE PRINT

• Check the website often (ilovemiamispice.com) for updates and special events.

• Pay close attention to the details, including any restrictions on days and times, which vary from restaurant to restaurant.

• Make reservations well in advance, show up on time and do not -- I repeat, do not -- ask for substitutions.

• Tip as if you mean it. Just because you're getting a break doesn't mean the waiters don't have to pay the rent. Base the gratuity on what full price would have been, not on the actual check.

-- V.P.E.

Guest coach

I def want to do some weekend afternoon lunches. Im making a list to choose from. :)

Oh yes... weekend afternoon lunches sound spectacular to me. Can't wait to see your list!

Call a boy sometime.

Guest lulamishka

Time for some fine dining..been waiting for this for a couple of months now.

Don't forget to post up reviews!

Guest eroc0411

I've visited alot of restaurants for Miami Spice, By far my best experience has been at the Delano!!! (blue door) FOOD IS Outstanding!!!!!!!

ppl give ur reviews... I'm curious what other ppl think of the Miami Food palate...

Guest LeVeL

I am thinking of hitting up Harrisons this weekend, I liked the menu they are providing for Miami Spice but I wanted to know if anybody has ever gone this place an how is it?

I looked through the Menu and a lot of places are not offering too much of an impressive menu for Miami Spice like in past years also a lot of places are not participating on the weekends either. So the way I am doing it this year is going to places I have yet have attended and also their menu's.

Guest JMT

yeah, i am already considering the idea of throwing the spice menu out the window when i sit down at a of couple places.

Guest LeVeL

yeah, i am already considering the idea of throwing the spice menu out the window when i sit down at a of couple places.

Yeah like I was thinking of going to a couple of places but if I go to them its not to enjoy their Miami Spice menu. I guess word around the street has spread big-time, this is my 4th year participating and this year Miami Spice menu has to be the worst even with more restaurants participating.

Guest lulamishka

I dunno about you, but the Pascal's On Ponce dinner menu looks DEEEELISH!  They had me at Twice Baked, Upside Down Gruyere Cheese Soufflé, Parmesan Sauce.  ::drool::

Guest lulamishka

yeah' date=' i am already considering the idea of throwing the spice menu out the window when i sit down at a of couple places.

[/quote']

Yeah like I was thinking of going to a couple of places but if I go to them its not to enjoy their Miami Spice menu. I guess word around the street has spread big-time, this is my 4th year participating and this year Miami Spice menu has to be the worst even with more restaurants participating.

Yea, I have to agree with you. Some of the menus aren't impressive at all. Yet some still are. For example, I saw one or two places offering coffee as one of the dessert choices. Coffee? Okay, pass. And lots of sorbets & molten chocolate cake for dessert. The chocolate cake is OK, but sorbet? Pass.

Guest LeVeL

I dunno about you, but the Pascal's On Ponce dinner menu looks DEEEELISH! They had me at Twice Baked, Upside Down Gruyere Cheese Soufflé, Parmesan Sauce. ::drool::

Lula acourse their will be exceptions, I am not saying every restaurant participating doesn't have an impressive Miami Spice menu but you have to admit, that from the 40 something restaurants participating that their are only a couple that are worth actually eating the Miami Spice menu items.

Guest lulamishka

I dunno about you' date=' but the Pascal's On Ponce dinner menu looks DEEEELISH! They had me at Twice Baked, Upside Down Gruyere Cheese Soufflé, Parmesan Sauce. ::drool::

[/quote']

Lula acourse their will be exceptions, I am not saying every restaurant participating doesn't have an impressive Miami Spice menu but you have to admit, that from the 40 something restaurants participating that their are only a couple that are worth actually eating the Miami Spice menu items.

Oh I'm agreeing with you Level, don't get me wrong! I just had to mention that standout one for me. :)

Guest LeVeL

So has anyone around here gone to Harrisons Steakhouse? Is it closer to being a place in the level of Longhorns or a place closer to Smith & Wollensky?

Guest lulamishka

So has anyone around here gone to Harrisons Steakhouse? Is it closer to being a place in the level of Longhorns or a place closer to Smith & Wollensky?

I've never been' date=' but here's what OpenTable has to say about it:

Harrison's Steakhouse & Lounge writes...

Harrison's Steakhouse offers a dining experience that is unique to Miami Beach's world-famous South Beach. Located in an historic hotel, Harrison's boasts all the amenities the discerning diner demands and expects in a restaurant. The ambiance of high ceilings, chandeliers and candlelight creates a relaxing and subdued atmosphere to enjoy an excellent dining experience. Harrison's menu, of course, features a wide variety steaks of the most prime cut and properly aged, as well as several types of mouth-watering fish, salads and side dishes to accommodate the most discriminating tastes.

Dining Style: Casual Dining

Cuisine: Steakhouse, Seafood

Neighborhood: Miami Beach/South Beach

Price: $31 to $50

Email: info@harrisonssteakhouse.com

Phone: (305) 672-4600

Hours of Operation:

Dinner: Sunday - thursday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday: 6:00pm - 2:00am, Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am

Payment Options:

AMEX, MasterCard, Visa

Executive Chef: Will Biscoe

Dress Code: Business Casual

Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes

Parking: Hotel Parking

Private Party Facilities: Harrison's also has a unique adjoining party and event space at which Harrison's presents special events. This dramatic space is also available for private events such as weddings, corporate dinners or an intimate dinner party with 200 of your closest friends.

Guest LeVeL

I've never been, but here's what OpenTable has to say about it:

Harrison's Steakhouse & Lounge writes...

Harrison's Steakhouse offers a dining experience that is unique to Miami Beach's world-famous South Beach. Located in an historic hotel, Harrison's boasts all the amenities the discerning diner demands and expects in a restaurant. The ambiance of high ceilings, chandeliers and candlelight creates a relaxing and subdued atmosphere to enjoy an excellent dining experience. Harrison's menu, of course, features a wide variety steaks of the most prime cut and properly aged, as well as several types of mouth-watering fish, salads and side dishes to accommodate the most discriminating tastes.

Dining Style: Casual Dining

Cuisine: Steakhouse, Seafood

Neighborhood: Miami Beach/South Beach

Price: $31 to $50

Email: info@harrisonssteakhouse.com

Phone: (305) 672-4600

Hours of Operation:

Dinner: Sunday - thursday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday: 6:00pm - 2:00am, Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am

Payment Options:

AMEX, MasterCard, Visa

Executive Chef: Will Biscoe

Dress Code: Business Casual

Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes

Parking: Hotel Parking

Private Party Facilities: Harrison's also has a unique adjoining party and event space at which Harrison's presents special events. This dramatic space is also available for private events such as weddings, corporate dinners or an intimate dinner party with 200 of your closest friends.

Excellent! Thank you, I guess I am sold.

Guest lulamishka

Boooo! I was just informed from a couple coworkers of mine that lunch at The Oceanaire Seafood Room is not worth the Miami Spice lunch price. :( That's pretty bad.

Guest Electric Eel

Boooo! I was just informed from a couple coworkers of mine that lunch at The Oceanaire Seafood Room is not worth the Miami Spice lunch price. :( That's pretty bad.

Looking at their spice menu it was something that I already disregarded. Doesn't even sound enticing.

• 2 weeks later...