Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Low iPhone activations?

Guest pod

Guest endymion

The new iPhone platform is a long-term bet. The original iPod got trashed in the first reviews and it didn't exactly take off in sales with the release of the first generation iPod.

As a mobile information access platform, that little touch screen thing is revolutionary. Apple is standing behind AJAX as a replacement for WAP, which creates potential for innovations that will have broad influence.

I could care less if my Nano could ring. In fact I kind of prefer that it can't.

Guest pod

That's what I'm thinking. What the current iPhone does, is kick the whole concept out the door, getting all the suckers to pick up the device, since they did a decent job of making it a must-have device via marketing.

Now, every mobile product from Apple, be it an iPod, an iPhone, or maybe even a full-on laptop, I think will have a multi-touch touchscreen interface.

Guest pod

Don't get me wrong, if I had money to burn, I'd have one. Well, maybe not.

The no-sale points for me are the fact that it sits on AT&T's network, and only sports EDGE.

If it was T-Mobile and had UMTS/HSDPA I would have saved for it and been one of the ones sitting outside the store for it.

Not counting the shoddy data speed, it's a fantastic device.

Guest endymion

Good AJAX apps don't need much bandwidth. I'm not too thrilled about EDGE either but you go to war with the army you have, not the army you wish you had. The difference between the web experience on the iPhone and the web experience on a Treo or Windows Mobile phone is the tipping point difference that creates an entire new platform.

Guest pod

True enough. If given a choice, I would take going online via the iPhone rather than through a Blackberry, Treo, or Windows Mobile device. The closest is a Series 60 device loaded up with Opera.

At the least, CJ loads just fine on an iPhone.

engine.cgi?idd=1&u=5OmGFIS3qZSN&command=engine.showImage.show&galleryID=2007-7-7&imageID=18&width=312&height=468

Guest endymion

At the least, CJ loads just fine on an iPhone.

Of course it does!

In other news, AAPL has recovered half of the losses from overnight selloffs mentioned in the article and is now trading at about 140. The market is saying that for every sucker who thinks that 1G activation rates matter, there's another person waiting to snap up his AAPL shares.

Guest endymion

The clear cover on the front of it is not polycarbonate like a normal mobile phone or like an iPod, it's optical glass. To prevent scratches.

I have a similar problem. I need a fully-submersible case for it that still lets me use the touch screen. It would help me a lot to be able to check weatherunderground.com from my surfski when I'm a mile off of South Beach. My iPod goes there, which was some kind of science fiction when I first started kayaking. I can't wait until I have an AJAX browser out there too.

Oh and the AJAX-capable browser in the iPhone is vastly superior to Opera Mobile, BTW. It can do CSS-P, XHTMLRequest, and all kinds of other things that make it a serious platform for rich Internet applications.

Guest pod

That's why I said Opera comes close. Mobile Opera on S60 devices has issues.

The browsing experience on the iPhone is the best by far that I've had on a mobile device. Find a Wi-Fi hotspot, and it's great. Like the commercials say, it's "the web", not the "mobile web".

Like I said, CJ loaded fine, even when it was typed in by someone who was loaded. ;D Thank god for the little .com shortcut on the screen-keyboard.

Guest swirlundergrounder

I want one of these so bad...

But the carrier sucks ass...

AT&T has so many problems that it's not even worth the purchase.

Guest coach

The iPhone combined with Google Maps finally does really the only thing I REALLY REALLY want my mobile device to do, and that is tell me where I am and what is nearby.

Guest pod

You kind of have to know where you are for that to work.

Throw a GPS receiver in there and that problem is solved.

I think what it came down to is that Apple couldn't cram in a GPS receiver and a 3G chipset and keep the form factor the same.

Guest endymion

I think what it came down to is that Apple couldn't cram in a GPS receiver and a 3G chipset and keep the form factorprice point the same.

Guest ICON

I have no desire cancelling my Verizon account that I have had for 4 years to switch to AT&T. Once they roll out the phone with different providers then I am sure it will pick up.

Guest coach

You kind of have to know where you are for that to work.

Seriously? I figured the iPhone tracked where you are. Heck, my little Samsung on Sprint does. I can actually do a search for whatever "from my location" and it knows where I am and performs said search outwards from me. Of course, being a regular phone, the interface is clunky and you are typing on a number-pad. I just assumed on an iPhone it would be even that much easier.

Guest pod

They use a pseudo-GPS in the form of triangulating from nearby towers. I don't think the iPhone does this.

The way the pseudo-GPS works is that each tower knows it's geographic location, via the virtue that these towers receive highly precise time signals from the GPS satellites, and by that, their exact location as well, even though originally the towers really didn't need to know where they were geographically. From there, a phone can kind of figure out where it is, by triangulating from nearby towers.

Very few phones have a true GPS receiver built in. With the iPhone, I think you have to figure out where you are first.

Guest endymion

In other news, AAPL has recovered half of the losses from overnight selloffs mentioned in the article and is now trading at about 140. The market is saying that for every sucker who thinks that 1G activation rates matter, there's another person waiting to snap up his AAPL shares.

Trading now at 146.

Guest coach
Very few phones have a true GPS receiver built in. With the iPhone, I think you have to figure out where you are first.

Well, still, it's a very cool feature. I mean, I usually know generally where I am and can figure my specific intersection by looking out my car window. Since Google maps allows you to easily zoom and scroll, you can locate yourself and search from there.

I am quite surprised that the iPhone does not track itself via tower triangulation (or whatever) like a regular cellphone does. That would sure be a sweet combo with the Google maps.