Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bridge collapse

Guest slamminshaun

Guest clubchicky

shaun!!! the slammer...hahahaha...i can't believe it...you are so right....I am amazed I just read this!!! hehehehe

There is crumbling infrastructure all over the country, said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev. Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., who heads the Senate panel that controls transportation spending, said the Bush administration has threatened vetoes when Democrats try to increase such spending.

White House deputy press secretary Scott Stanzel, accusing the Democrats of using the bridge collapse for partisan purposes, said Bush had increased funding for federal highways by about 30 percent during his administration. The president had threatened to veto legislation not over highway funding but because of billions of dollars in excess funding in other areas, Stanzel said.

Democrats were not alone in calling for more bridge funding.

"People think they're saving money by not investing in infrastructure, and the result is you have catastrophes like this," said Rep. Tom Petri, R-Wis., a member of the House transportation committee.

The federal government is now providing about $40 billion a year to improve and expand the nation's highways and bridges.

The main source of revenue for roads and bridges, the federal highway trust fund, is failing to keep up with spending demand. The 18.3 cents a gallon in federal taxes hasn't changed since 1993, and the demand for more fuel-efficient vehicles could affect fuel consumption.

Funding isn't the only issue getting attention after the Minnesota collapse.

Transportation Secretary Mary Peters said in an interview with The Associated Press that she had asked her department's inspector general to evaluate the agency's overall bridge inspections.

According to the Federal Highway Administration, most bridges in the U.S. Highway Bridge Inventory _ 83 percent _ are inspected every two years. About 12 percent, those in bad shape, are inspected annually, and 5 percent, those in very good shape, every four years.

Guest coach

Umm do i take it ur a bush fan???

by the way do u watch fox news... they seem 2 be very pro bush.. But atleast lately some news ppl there sorta kinda almost wanna go against the grain...

Why does someone have to be a "Bush fan" if they speak out against baseless and inappropriately-timed propaganda?

You are correct. We SHOULD have taken up the issue of the crumbling infrastructure in this country at least 10 years ago. However, we didn't. So, we can either just feel sorry for the dead and injured and go on about our regular lives ignoring the problem. OR, we could actually take this as a wake-up call, since apparantly the N.O. Katrina tragedy did not wake anyone up, and DO something about it.

All your predictions of "blame" are just bs. Big freaking whoop. So you successfully knew that left-wing the nutjubs would blame the right-wing nutjobs. How does that help anyone? Do you have any solutions, or are you just defending your right-wing buddies?

All your predictions of "blame" are just bs. Big freaking whoop. So you successfully knew that left-wing the nutjubs would blame the right-wing nutjobs. How does that help anyone? Do you have any solutions, or are you just defending your right-wing buddies?

thank you, that's my point. all done just so he can say "i told you so".

Guest coach

Well' date=' I must say, I didn't predict this one....but I'll know better for next time. .

click here

Well, as long as we leave everything status quo and just lament over the lost lives next time, right?