Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Boca foodies: Chops Lobster Bar

Guest JMT

Guest JMT

the award-winning Atlanta-based steak and seafood restaurant recently opened a Boca Raton location, located in the renovated section of Royal Palm Plaza near Mizner Blvd., and i had the chance to check it out. i had been to the Atlanta location many moons ago as a kid, but i do not really recall the experience. for all i know i might have tried to order a hamburger.

onward to the review...

from the service to the food, the place is top drawer. they offer 30 varieties of different seafood and 15 varieties of steak.

appetizer:

signature lobster tail - one of their specialties, "flash fried" and served with a signature honey mustard. the tail was a generous proportion and was consistent. i am on the fence about the fried approach, it adds a different flavor, but the tail meat itself was good enough that i looked past that. the honey mustard was only a good compliment when used very sparingly, it packed some punch. i think the honey mustard only works at all because of the fried aspect. without it, lemon alone would have been preferable.

entree:

barrel cut filet - a divine piece of meat. couldn't have asked for anything more. perhaps a little on the "seasoned" side for some, but if that floats your boat, as it does mine, it was a home run. it practically melted in my mouth.

crisped hash browns - "swiss style". basically little pieces of diced potato with some flavor thrown in. nothing too fancy, but a solid side item choice executed well.

signature corn mash - the gem of the side item menu, recommended by the waiter. picture mashed potatos, but instead with corn. sweet, and served piping hot. loved it.

dessert:

chocolate soufle cake - i might have had a chocolate souffle AS good as this one before, but i'm pretty sure i can't recall ever having one that was better than this. rich, yet light. served at the perfect temperature with a side of pistachio ice cream. as a sidenote: the dessert menu was brief but looked like it covered a wide range of tastes.

other notes: the service was excellent. my glass was never empty and the food came out unbelievably fast. i watched the hostess automatically swap out a white napkin for a black one when seating a woman wearing dark pants... first time i've ever seen that. i can't comment on the wine list as i did not see it. the only gripe i can nitpick is (other than the stereotypical "Boca" clientel) that the table i was at was not very sturdy (and it was not the only one like that), which should not be the case in a joint like this. they also have a bar area that caters to the drinking and nibbling crowd with some live music.

their website claims Food & Wine magazine has regularly rated the Atlanta location one of the top 10 steak houses in the country, and i'm in no position to argue that.

2 forks up!

chops_logo.gif

852i.jpg

Chops Lobster Bar

101 Plaza Real South

Boca Raton, FL 33432

http://www.chopslobsterbar.com/

Guest lulamishka

You've been on a roll with the reviews, John! This place definitely sounds worth trying. What kind of price range are we talking about?

Guest JMT

You've been on a roll with the reviews, John! This place definitely sounds worth trying. What kind of price range are we talking about?

i've got one more coming.

a little pricey, but consistent with higher-end steak joints.

Guest JMT

Ahem! Why do you go to dinner without me??? :'(

i tried to call but your phone kept going to voicemail.

Shoot! I was going to call you last night and see if you wanted to call Melissa and your friend to go to dinner last night. Oh well, next time. Ill give you my home number as well.

we shall have to plan something soon. perhaps a spice.

btw, she is considering kickball.

Guest Electric Eel

I totally would have driven up for this one! Great review! After trying their lobster bisque at taste of the nation I have really been wanting to go there.

Signature corn mash! Hello, i love putting corn in my mashed potatoes, they get 2 thumbs up from me for that one.

Guest Electric Eel

Ahem! Why do you go to dinner without me??? :'(

i tried to call but your phone kept going to voicemail.

Shoot! I was going to call you last night and see if you wanted to call Melissa and your friend to go to dinner last night. Oh well, next time. Ill give you my home number as well.

we shall have to plan something soon. perhaps a spice.

btw, she is considering kickball.

she better hurry up and decide!! Its almost deadline

Guest JMT

I totally would have driven up for this one! Great review! After trying their lobster bisque at taste of the nation I have really been wanting to go there.

you will grace the 561 with your presence? j/k. let me know whenever you want to go.

Guest Electric Eel

you will grace the 561 with your presence? j/k. let me know whenever you want to go.

I'm a broward junkie lately, lol. I will actually be in the 561 tonight but thats after dinner with the folks. I'll talk to C, maybe next weekend. :)