Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Steve Lawler: Tribal survivor

Guest thelurker

Guest Marina22

I really don't know when tribal became such a bad word kinda like minimal but I still love drums of all kinds. It's the basic primitive rolling bass sounds that come from a drum that nothing else can make. I do understand a dj wanting to evolve like Lawler did in fear of getting typecast in that genre but I also haven't heard much of his new stuff so I need to check it out.. Still love Lawler and he was great last November (even if it was for only a couple of hours). Dunno bout seein' him at Mansion though. Some djs and music fanatics are purists saying they don't respect djs that stick to their roots but what about the same people who might say that dj X didn't evolve and therefore didn't grow as an artist. I love drums because they make a dancer's hips move so naturally and it has that very basal sound that is almost instinctual to like.. So, let's see where the void of tribal leaves us in the end..

Guest Floribel
"house music is the soundtrack to the more deviant, exciting, rebellious side of my life."

I'm soooo stealing that quote!

Thnx for the article man. I haven't seen him yet, so I wanna check him out in his upcoming Miami gig.

And LOL @ his "go see Chus & Ceballos" comment.

Guest durrtylexx

good interview

That's interesting as a lot of people were disappointed with the direction Sharam went after Deep Dish.

I was too but I guess he made a decision. But I've still got an awful amount of respect for Deep Dish even though their last album was definitely more on a commercial route. But each to their own. It's funny as a lot of my friends who live back in Surry Hill, girls working as secretaries who don't go clubbing, even they know who Sharam is because he broke into the charts. So in that way he's succeeded. He's made it. 'P.A.T.T' is a great song if you like commercial/pop dance music, but personally for me, what Ali is doing is bang on it.

lol so true

Guest LeVeL

Always been a Lawler Fan and always will...I am one of those that moved with him. Its ture what he said that if you dont like his style their are a bunch out there playing it..so move on.

I remember going to his Lights out Party 3 years ago @ State and having a blast eventhough that day he spun more of that sound that he's into and remember hearing all these people bitching abpout how his set was.

Guest Philip

i'll take the old Lawler over the new Lawler any day of the week. he could have stayed current with a tribal-tech type sound without switching it up so much

i'll take the old Lawler over the new Lawler any day of the week. he could have stayed current with a tribal-tech type sound without switching it up so much

He's a bandwagooner just like tom stepham, bunch of fucking pussies that's all i gotta say.

If i want to hear prog or electro i will listen to a local dj that i support much more. Who "moves with the dj"? so if the dj stops eating meat and becomes a vegetarian u will too? give me a break.

I go to see a dj for that type of sound he spins, if that's the sound that makes love to my ears than when that feature dj comes around again i will pay to see him spin, now if he starts spinning some other shit that he was not known for, than people will stop seeing him. He lost many of his fans, every person i know could give 2 shits bout him n TS when it comes to tribal.

Old steve lawler cd's are great, if he thinks it's boring he's entitled to his opinion but to call out his old fans that spent money on his ass to hear that sound that he used to bring back in the day, shows how much of a cocksucker he is.

Guest Fuerte44

He's a bandwagooner just like tom stepham, bunch of fucking pussies that's all i gotta say.

If i want to hear prog or electro i will listen to a local dj that i support much more. Who "moves with the dj"? so if the dj stops eating meat and becomes a vegetarian u will too? give me a break.

I go to see a dj for that type of sound he spins, if that's the sound that makes love to my ears than when that feature dj comes around again i will pay to see him spin, now if he starts spinning some other shit that he was not known for, than people will stop seeing him. He lost many of his fans, every person i know could give 2 shits bout him n TS when it comes to tribal.

Old steve lawler cd's are great, if he thinks it's boring he's entitled to his opinion but to call out his old fans that spent money on his ass to hear that sound that he used to bring back in the day, shows how much of a cocksucker he is.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

you make me laugh.....

"sound he used to bring back in the day...." key words=back in the day

if anyone was at twilo in march...they would agree with me in that steve most probably could not give a fuck about people stuck in 2003 tribal sounds...it got played out, admit it people....

he put it perfectly...the tribal progressive productions have all blended into each other to create the same old shit sound with a new name...i have been saying this for a while now....

and now coming from lawlers mouth, you still cant handle the truth...

he killed it back then with tribal...and now is killing it now with tech....

IMO thats the epitome of a pretty good dj....i could be wrong though....

dont be jealous and dont hate if i cant hate on miami tribal DJ (insert name)

i dont think he would have been invited to play space's opening party this summer if he was still rocking the bongos....

my 2c

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

you make me laugh.....

"sound he used to bring back in the day...." key words=back in the day

if anyone was at twilo in march...they would agree with me in that steve most probably could not give a fuck about people stuck in 2003 tribal sounds...it got played out, admit it people....

he put it perfectly...the tribal progressive productions have all blended into each other to create the same old shit sound with a new name...i have been saying this for a while now....

and now coming from lawlers mouth, you still cant handle the truth...

he killed it back then with tribal...and now is killing it now with tech....

IMO thats the epitome of a pretty good dj....i could be wrong though....

dont be jealous and dont hate if i cant hate on miami tribal DJ (insert name)

i dont think he would have been invited to play space's opening party this summer if he was still rocking the bongos....

my 2c

u make me laugh

tribal is not just bongos

no one went to see gaylawler @ twilo on march buddy, steve lawler is long long gonne.

i went to twilo about 5-7 times, the place was packed, guess what tribal was being played.

that fri night, when vibe, vc, n the rest of nyc tribal crew were down, the venue was slammed...should those dj's quit their jobs so they can suck fans nuts that want to hear tech/prog/electro?

a dj can choose whatever he wants to do w/ his life, career, ect...but myself as someone who wants to hear a specific type of sound will not "follow" the dj, i could give 2 shits about a dj changing his style, records, ect...i go see a dj for that one sound he brings, if i wanted to hear anything else as to what we hear everyday in miami, there are 6552356 dj's here playing that.

tribal nowadays is not what tribal was in 99, back in those days it was alot more drums, bongos, ect...i don't listen to that these days, now it's alot more dark or what some people refer to iberican...call it what u want, i know what i like when i hear it.

I bet Steve will be saying the same shit about tech and his tech fans when he gets tired of it. I like tech as well, i dont eat/shit tribal 24/7.

Guest LeVeL

u make me laugh

tribal is not just bongos

no one went to see gaylawler @ twilo on march buddy, steve lawler is long long gonne.

i went to twilo about 5-7 times, the place was packed, guess what tribal was being played.

that fri night, when vibe, vc, n the rest of nyc tribal crew were down, the venue was slammed...should those dj's quit their jobs so they can suck fans nuts that want to hear tech/prog/electro?

a dj can choose whatever he wants to do w/ his life, career, ect...but myself as someone who wants to hear a specific type of sound will not "follow" the dj, i could give 2 shits about a dj changing his style, records, ect...i go see a dj for that one sound he brings, if i wanted to hear anything else as to what we hear everyday in miami, there are 6552356 dj's here playing that.

tribal nowadays is not what tribal was in 99, back in those days it was alot more drums, bongos, ect...i don't listen to that these days, now it's alot more dark or what some people refer to iberican...call it what u want, i know what i like when i hear it.

I bet Steve will be saying the same shit about tech and his tech fans when he gets tired of it. I like tech as well, i dont eat/shit tribal 24/7.

I agree and disagree with you...I love tribal as much as the next man..

But I was there for Lawler during Conference and I have to say the place was going off, I remember leaving at 10am and people were still there so to say something like no one went to see Lawler is untrue.

U know it took me sometime to get into his new sound but this past conference changed my opinion on him and I just let go of the past, hey he moved on and its true he had to move on, aroundd that time everyone was playing tribal u had Victor Calderon, Chus & Ceballos, Saeed & Palash, Superchumbo, Danny Tenaglia, Murk ect...

Everyone was riding the tribal bandwagon but out of everyone Lawler has gotten the brunt of the hate due to him being on top of the tribal genre during the time. As an artist/dj/producer I understand why he had to change it up a little.

So now he's reinvented himself and he's opened himself up to new fans and some of the old ones that have grown out of the tribal sound. I agree with his statement, if you wanna hear Tribal then go listen to a dj that plays that sound, in the end its all about our individual taste that allows us to make choices on who to go see and who to not go see Dj.

Guest Fuerte44

wow...no one went to lawler@twilo? you just lost me as a participant in what could have been a fun healthy little argument....

the place was fucking slammed, just as it was for every great dj there that week....

even patrick m was there taking notes, wishing he had the freedom to leave the breakdowns and bongos and vocals behind and play some great NEW sounds....

i understand your argument though, as i would not like it if richie started playing tribal prog....but i saw it as Lawler, tribal king, who i admired greatly growing up playing a genre i can tolerate(back then when it was good)....who decided to transform with time and play what he truly enjoys playing , taking his ear and talent and coming over to the "clean"er better side....and i love every minute of it...

but to each his own...but you will never duplicate L.O. vol 1 or 2....and to try and remain in that era, yes it was an era(past tense), it was a great period, but its over....miami needs to wake the fuck up....even danny said it "techno is the answer"

SURELY DANNY AND STEVE CANT BE BOTH WRONG

come on miami.....leave the breakdowns and vocals and electro tribal basslines that we have been getting chewed up to for the last 7 years and lets clean up a bit....

that last half of my post was not directed to you all4....i just took the chance to shamelessly hate on the commercial prog cheese and promote the best music on the planet right now...

;D

Guest RzO

bring the dark drums back goddammit!

31gxzd17aflss500ze6.jpg

i still pull this one out ^

one of the best, all the nubreeds were top notch imo

I love lawler, always have always will, i think even with tribal gone, he puts alot of emphasis on drums, that is his thing.

I am kinda pissed he is coming to mansion, i mean i really might not go but i would love to see him again sooner than later.

you will never duplicate L.O. vol 1 or 2....

i found my lights out cd's in my car the other day all scratched up, thank god i have sets of that shit man.

im sure there were peeps in any clubs during wmc, im sure it wouldnt be the same on a regular sat out of wmc.

like i said b4 im not tribal only, personally the last few times i saw danny @ twilo, it was ok...he's a good dj, good vibe, i just couldnt sit there and listen to 4 depeche mode tracks, but that's just my personal opinion.