Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Captain Canuck

Guest Major

Guest Major

generalmidi.jpeg.jpg

General Midi Biography

Real Name / Paul Crossman

Moniker(s) / Starecase

General Midi was born a breaks freak, but became hooked on the house sound at an early age. His tracks and remixes are undefinable; are they lush breaks tracks, played by djs more known for their darker kicks, or experimental house tracks, played by breaks djs?

General Midi has been heavily involved in promoting nights in the Bristol Music scene since moving to the city in 1991. He got bitten by the dance bug in the early nineties and alongside Leon Alexander formed the legendary Techno night Shimmy in 1994.

Alongside other remixes for Hope, General Midi has provided two exclusive tracks for DISTINCTIVE's Y3K Progressive Breaks compilation which features the cream of the breaks scene, remixes for Hooj, Beatz and Bobs and Vinyl Hiss and has tracks out on Silver Planet's break imprint (Planet Breakz) and Shadow Records in the USA.

His DJ style draws from influences far and wide. Blending 'Nu Skool' breaks with other electronica, and not frightened to combine in the odd West Coast techno Track, his has a unique understanding of the dance floor combined with an immense musical knowledge.

In 2001 General Midi released a mix album on Streetbeat in the U.S and Hope Recordings in the UK. Genetically Modified contained some of the General's finest moments including, The Westerner, Daft Funk and the mighty remix of the Pascal FEOS project Sonic Infusion and a few other favourites peaking with the PFN track, "Put your Earphones On".

In 2003 General Midi is busy back in the studio with singles on Hyper’s ‘Bedrock Breaks’ compilation as well as React’s ‘21st Century Breaks’ and ofcourse the recently released ‘Furthur’ for TCR. With an album promised the breakbeat world should finally get the treat it has been waiting for!

Guest Major

He's one of my favourite Breaks producers. Love all his stuff on Kilowatt, Bedrock, TCR and Distinctive.

I feel like playing Breaks now.

Guest bootstah

He's one of my favourite Breaks producers. Love all his stuff on Kilowatt, Bedrock, TCR and Distinctive.

I feel like playing Breaks now.

dear god? And leave the electro behind?

:P