Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The Future Of Music...

Guest psboyuk

Guest Cosmigonon

I always found it very annoying when listening to some music fromthe 70's, those valleys of low volume, for I couldn't hear some parts, then turning up the volume, and receiving a horible blast of sound when the peaks arrived.

Guest psboyuk

I always found it very annoying when listening to some music fromthe 70's, those valleys of low volume, for I couldn't hear some parts, then turning up the volume, and receiving a horible blast of sound when the peaks arrived.

"Bohemian Rhapsody" comes to mind when you mention vast peaks and valleys in music. As long as it's done so it doesn't give the listener a heart attack, I think it's fine. The article says that listeners ears have to be able to 'breathe' and todays recording standards don't take that into account. Seems like the louder the better, but the cost is losing "bit's and pieces" of data through overcompression! I looked at the wave of an mp3 file I recently purchased online and was shocked to see, or maybe not see, data that is lost due to overcompression.

Interesting....

~Dennis

Guest Cosmigonon

VEry interesting article. Actually Bohemian Rhapsody i think handles that issue very well. Maybe the music I ws thinking of was actually very badly produced... ???

Guest Seb

ya I remember reading this article or another like it. Showing how this over compression trend started in the late 80's, early 90's and just continued to get out of hand since. The death of dynamics :'(

Guest AlanS

Nice Dennis, I read this same article earlier today.

It is so very true. Since I've been working on mastering music lately, I have to compress the shit out of it, and keep pushing that volume so it will stand up to the rest of the current tracks out there. Check out the wavform of any track you pull off Beatport these days, its solid, top to bottom.

Good news is, I'm finally starting to find a balance, with a good level of volume, while keeping the ear fatigue low.