Clubplanet Nightlife Community

ATTN POD: 40D vs D300?

Guest trancepriest

Guest trancepriest

I found out about the D300 release today. What are your thoughts on it compared to the 40D. I'm happy with my D100 and Zeiss 25 & 50mm lenses that I have. Heck I have non electronic lenses... but i'm interested in the new feature sets. What type of body upgrades are you loooking at?

Guest pod

The 40D is what the 30D should have been. I have a 30D, only because my 10D's shutter failed after 125,000 actuations, which is double the design spec.

My next leap will be to a 1-series body. I'd really like get a 1D MKIII.

D300 is a great thing for Nikon users. The price point isn't so hot though at $1800.

Right now, Nikon has narrowed the gap with Canon, which will make Canon work a bit harder. So, overall, everyone wins. You Nikonians finally get a full-frame camera with the D3, and a prosumer body that breaks the 10 MP barrier.

Canon people get "the next step" faster, since Canon is more awake now.

Guest saintjohn
B&H has 6months no interest payments

B&H rocks. Current Canon pricing:

EOS Digitial Rebel XT (aka 350D) - $479.95

EOS Digital Rebel XTi (aka 400D) - $629.95

EOS 30D - $989.95

EOS 40D - $1,299.95 (ships sometime in September)

The B&H used department is worth checking out, too, especially if you want professional gear at (relatively) affordable prices:

EOS-1Ds - $2,699.00 (sorry - not the Mark II or III)

Guest 029

hey pod...quick question... canon rebel xti , or nikon d40 or whichever thats under $1K

you should also consider the Pentax k100d or k10d .. both with built in image stabilization & you'll have access to gazillions of inexpensive & interesting lenses from the 60's to today. depending on the photography that you like to do, this may be more fun than the latest $$$ gizmo zooms ~

even have a look at Sony (Minolta Maxxum) too ..

everybody's making new anouncements right about this time, you'll be able to get a deal on the current models!

Guest pod

I wouldn't bother with the Pentax or the Sony. Both of them are Johnny-come-latelies in digital SLR design.

Canon and Nikon have been dropping bombs lately, and any DSLR from either of them will do you just fine.

At this point, it would not surprise me if Sony decides down the line to abort their DSLR experiment.

Guest 029

one never knows since Sony makes the chips used (so far) in both Pentax and Nikon dslrs .. and they have a very promising new chip out now .. imho they'd be foolish to abort themselves. Pentax has been going through some rough times lately, but with their partnership with Samsung and corporate ownership by Hoya .. will likely continue to innovate and offer very good quality product at an excellent price point. it was the k10d that brought d200 level specs to the masses at under $1000 last year, so we'll see what they come up with this year!

Guest pod

They're still a good 2 years behind the curve that has been set by Nikon and Canon.

Nikon has finally smartened up and they're doing some sensor work in-house, rather than waiting for Sony to kick out yet another noisy CCD. Canon's always done their DSLR sensor development in-house.

The D3 dropped last week as a response to Canon's 1D MKIII. Canon dropped the 21.1 MP 1Ds MKIII last week, as well, which is the highest resolution body out there now, in the 35mm framing and body format.

Sony's biggest market for their cameras is at the consumer level.

Their DSLR line is for the well-heeled gadget freak that everyone knows in their family :). Working pros are either Nikon or Canon, with Canon now largely owning the sports shooter and PJ market.

Look at the sidelines at your next sporting event, you'll see a lot of white lenses.

Guest 029

C & N have been courting and supporting PJs and sports photographers for years. they in fact subsidize the pro divisions - a matter of prestige, though it's important to push the technology envelope. for the average person though it makes no difference. take a look at the prices of those white lenses! i doubt that the mass market joe will ever own one.

the dslr market has been the fastest growing segment due to consumer oriented offerings that make this technology widely available and affordable. for most people, who will make at most maybe 11x17 enlargements, almost any of the 6 to 10mp cameras will do just fine. we'll prob see sub $200 dslrs very very soon. the diff will come in ease of use and bang for the dollar, all other factors being about equal.

so the real winners here will be those who can bring this down to the affordable level so lots can be sold.

it's really an exciting time now, with the likelyhood of truly affordable FF dslrs now coming into view!

Guest pod

Canon and Nikon subsidize the pro market since they're the ones driving development. The built-in web-servers that Canon and Nikon's top end DSLRs now will soon appear on prosumer and consumer bodies. Pros wanted that feature, so both companies developed it. Sony, Pentax, and Olympus really haven't done anything truly groundbreaking in their DSLR designs. Olympus, maybe with the whole self-cleaning sensor, but now Canon and Nikon have that tech, but implemented differently, and some say better.

Even at a consumer level, I still tell people if they want a DSLR to spend the extra money and get a Canon or a Nikon. That way, their investment is guaranteed, and they've got thousands of aftermarket accessories and lenses to choose from.