Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Boom of condo crash loudest in Miami

Guest JMT

Guest endymion

The hurricane parallel between now and the 1920s Florida land boom are still there.

The borrowing crisis isn't as bad as it was during the depression, but the effect on our boom is the same. If people can't borrow money then the can't buy property and the market stalls.

The transportation infrastructure parallel is interesting and often overlooked. We already have a serious problem with I-95 that is hindering our economy by keeping thousands of workers bottlenecked in traffic jams for hours each day. In the 1920s they had the same problems. The railroads were filled to capacity with building materials for the boom, and then it all went to shit when the Port of Miami was unexpectedly blocked for a few weeks.

What would happen to South Florida right now if a hurricane or a terrorist attack were to sever I-95? Even for just a few weeks?

Guest slamminshaun

What would happen to South Florida right now if a hurricane or a terrorist attack were to sever I-95? Even for just a few weeks?

Bury your valuables in the backyard and put bars on your windows. Seriously, the state is already headed toward a deep recession. A terrorist attack or major hurricane would only make it happen sooner.

The only thing that can save us from an impending recession is voting for tax relief in January 2008. Every business owner I consult with is hurting....the rest of them are lying. The only thing keeping many of them afloat is short-term, high-interest debt....and you and I both know where that will end up.

I guess we'll find out if Ben Bernanke is ready to acknowledge this when he speaks this morning. You'll know what he said by looking at what the stock market is doing today. Interest rates will most likely be cut a full 1% before the end of the year.

Guest icebaer69

i love renting!

renters are in trouble too:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/news/2007/08/new_study_shows_renters_are_in.html

ps:

"...

Miami is in worse shape:

The city added 4,549 condo units in 2006 and

3,276 so far this year.

Another 7,985 will be delivered by the end of the year,

with another 8,260 slated for 2008 to 2011...

for a grand total of 24,070 news units

between 2006 and 2011

..."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118799900508008451.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Guest pod

Well duh. Half of those rentals are emergency rentals. If you do your homework, you can find killer rentals anywhere.

It's not done yet, but the new owner of my building is in the process of modernizing and renovating the exterior to my little ten unit building in the Design District. Already he's upgraded (well I did the work) the Wi-Fi to a commercial, outdoor-hardened solution, redid the brickwork, replaced all the doors, painted, and more work continues. All while my rent is staying about the same.

Yes, it's a studio complex, but it's perfect for people like me who are single and never home. I'm too obsessed with my work to blow assloads of money on a place I'll never get to really enjoy.

The Pod Palace will come when I retire.

Guest addictedtospace

Yet no one seems to be upset that the US is spending Two BILLION dollars a week on the Iraq Invasion. This war is about to pass the TRILLION mark! HELLO? :o :o :o

Guest slamminshaun

Yet no one seems to be upset that the US is spending Two BILLION dollars a week on the Iraq Invasion. This war is about to pass the TRILLION mark! HELLO? :o :o :o

::)

It was just a matter of time before that came into the picture. Bush bush bush bush bush bush bush bush bush.....you can't talk about the fuckin' weather without bitching about bush.

Guest addictedtospace

::)

It was just a matter of time before that came into the picture. Bush bush bush bush bush bush bush bush bush.....you can't talk about the fuckin' weather without bitching about bush.

Kinda of interesting how you said Bush, since I never mentioned his name.