Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Valentino Resigns

Guest Floribel

Guest Floribel

"VALENTINO has confirmed this afternoon that he will step down from the company he founded in 1960 after just one more ready-to-wear show and one more Haute Couture season. "My future will be filled with new interests and challenges," he says. "Some may be linked to fashion, as I have a strong desire to create and support institutions to promote the study of fashion design, and to preserve the history of the art of fashion. It will be a marvellous continuation of this amazing adventure that I had the privilege to have. Even as a young boy, my passion was to design, and I have been very lucky to be able to do what I have loved all my life." The designer who famously once announed that "red is the only colour after black and white", threw a lavish, three-day party in July to celebrate 45 years in the industry. Speculation has been rife since Permira bought the Valentino Fashion Group, which owns Hugo Boss, M Missoni and Marlboro Classics as well as a 45 per cent stake in Proenza Schouler, earlier this year that Valentino and his business partner Giancarlo Giammetti would step down but they have repeatedly denied any plans to do so. Now the race is on for who will replace him... Surely it's one of fashion's most glamorous jobs: former Gucci designer Alessandra Facchinetti is thought to be first in line as a replacement, with Giambattistta Valli, Stefano Pilati and Proenza Schouler duo Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez in hot pursuit. "I realise the house that carries my name will go through some changes but I wish to think that the team of designers of the various lines - some of whom have been working by my side for many years - will make me proud of Valentino's products," the designer adds. "My most emotional thanks go to the thousands of people in fashion, and to those the world over who have supported me all of these years. Finally, a special word of heartfelt thanks to my associates who have helped me make my work a success." (September 4 2007, PM)

Source: http://www.vogue.co.uk/vogue_daily/story/story.asp?stid=46999

valentinoONCATWALKO2_sdB.jpg