Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Macaluso's

Guest JMT

Guest JMT

I never thought a quality Italian restaurant existed on South Beach. However, I am always open to the idea of proving myself wrong, so I hit this place after hearing some positive things.

The place has an unassuming exterior, and fairly simple décor (at least by Sobe standards). The chef is from Staten Island, and they make it a point to throw in a New York feel into the menu and the atmosphere. The menu is constantly changing, so much that they don’t even bother to print menus, they just list it on a large chalkboard at the end of the dining room. Frank and Dean get heavy rotation on the dining room sound system, but as it gets later they drop in some vintage disco.

Appetizer:

‘Vito’ Salad – Kind of a cross between a Caesar and an Italian house salad, with some capicola thrown in for good measure. Pretty damn good salad.

‘Sinatra’ Hot Shrimp – More tingly than hot. Several large tails served on toasted bread. A little spicy, but very tasty. Thumbs up.

Macaluso’s Homemade Meatballs – Meatballs are one of their signatures, and are a mandatory item to order, either in your entrée or as an app. They are roughly the size of your fist. Great taste. By this point, I am smelling what they are cooking.

Entrée:

‘Tony Bennett’ Veal & Peppers over Penne Pasta – I was torn about what entrée to get. I was also considering the 2 items listed below but went with this. The pasta was good, the veal was grilled and a little firmer than I would have liked, but I did not really care for the peppers. This was more my fault, as it was exactly as described and there were no surprises. If veal with peppers is your thing it might be a great dish, but in retrospect I should have ordered something different.

*I also sampled the Veal Parmigiana (pretty good), and a chef’s special which was Pork Chop with Tomato Sauce over Fusilli. When I bit into the latter it was like I was transported back in time 10 years to dinner at my grandmother’s. Delicious! I should have ordered that.

Dessert:

Cannoli – Small shells, identical to what most other Italian restaurants serve. Anyone can make these if you find a store that sells the filling.

Ricotta Cheese Pie – Not everyone likes this, but I grew up on it so I do. It was phenomenal, perfect level of moisture.

Final Notes: The food delivers. Bonus points here as well for good bread. The wine list is solid, a nice selection of Italian reds from about $30 and up. I would label the service I experienced as “goodâ€, but from what I’ve heard it depends on what server you get and what kind of mood they are in that night. Apparently, when the staff moved down from New York they did not forget to pack their attitude in the overhead bins.

The place is small, it probably has a max capacity of 50 and does not look like large groups can be accommodated easily. Reservations are a must. I look forward to going back, and sooner rather than later.

2504776p1.jpg

Macaluso’s

1747 Alton Rd

Miami, FL 33139

(305) 604-1811

Guest Electric Eel

I have been dying to try this place. I keep saying that every time I pass by. My old boss used to go there almost every week, cause she said it was so good.

Glad to see another good review

Guest macboy

So appropriate, I was just about to recommend this to vBarb instead of DeVitos. It is good and also they are an establishment that takes care of their regulars (though I am a long way from becoming that).

Guest lulamishka

Great review!

And this has been yet another restaurant I keep meaning to try! Please keep me in mind when you girlies decide to go! :)

Guest lulamishka

Great review!

And this has been yet another restaurant I keep meaning to try! Please keep me in mind when you girlies decide to go! :)

No! :P

:'( Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Guest JMT

So appropriate, I was just about to recommend this to vBarb instead of DeVitos. It is good and also they are an establishment that takes care of their regulars (though I am a long way from becoming that).

i wouldn't mind attempting to become a regular myself. it felt like sophie's choice trying to pick what to eat off that chalkboard.