Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Air Conditioned Clothes? WERD!!!!

Guest drlogic

Guest pod

Well, the ultimate goal would be to do this with some sort of grid, sans fan that is powered by a fuel-cell microturbine like the Army will receive shortly. All infantry will have a power source "on board" to power their weapons, communications, and (purported) active camouflage.

Guest pod

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Force_Warrior

Think Starship Troopers "Mobile Infantry" but without the debatable effectiveness.

Micro-climate Conditioning Subsystem

The Micro-climate Conditioning Subsystem, built into the Life Critical Layer, is a network of narrow tubing that would provide 100 watts of heating or cooling to the soldier.

Currently, the Future Force Warrior Cooling System (FFW-CS) being developed, circulates chilled water through a special heat-transfer garment. The cooled circulating fluid pulls metabolic heat from the soldier's body and transfers it into the environment through its condenser. The main condenser unit can provide 120 W cooling power in a 95 °F environment, with an average power consumption of 35 W and weight of 3.5 pounds, excluding the power source. A fully functional demonstration prototype is expected to be exhibited in 2008.

Power Subsystem

The Power Subsytem, built into the Power Centric Layer, would be fed by the Duration Central, a 2 to 20 watt Micro Turbine fueled by a liquid hydrocarbon fuel cell. According to the concept, ten ounces of fuel would power the soldier's integrated electronics ensemble for up to 6 days. Polymeric nanofiber battery patches embedded in the headgear and weapon provide back-up power for three hours.

Guest jbit

On the flip side....

Rip Curl has developed the first heated wetsuit ...

While testing in Iceland amongst icebergs seems a bit extreme, Rip Curl decided it was best to push the suit's limits from very the start. Standing in the snow steaming after his first two-hour session wearing the H-bomb Wickwire breathed, "I was burning up. It felt like it was summertime."

http://www.surfline.com/surfnews/article_bamp.cfm?id=7570

Guest pod

Powered clothing is something we can all look forward to as a spin-off from these military applications.

I mean, I'm sure like your boxers or ballpackers wouldn't require active sensors, but I can foresee where your average jacket will have built-in heating elements, or a summer t-shirt will have a cooling system of some sort.

They could debut them in Miami over the summer and finance their production for the next decade.

FPL might be pissy though since it could be conceivably cheaper just to wear an actively-cooled shirt powered by a fuel-cell microturbine (the Army one is supposed to power a whole rig for six days, that's including navigation, weapons, etc...) so you could cut your A/C down real low or off.

Guest RzO

i think the a/c boxers would rock, the amount of sweat on my bag during the summer is gross, to have a fan to blow them dry when needed would be great.

Guest pod

Coinpurse, that's coinpurse.

Actually that makes sense. However, what if there's those who go commando? Well then the pants' AC would kick in.

Shit, I could sport my black blazer year round with that.