Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Joe's Stone Crab: What wine should be paired with Stone crabs?

Guest spainmiami

Guest spainmiami

Stone Crab season is around the corner and would love to get replies. This is my 1st post.

I've searched the forums on Stone Crab and Wine and all I found was someone mentioning wine that "could have been chilled", it didn't state whether it was white or red or type of grape or region.

So, if you had Stone Crabs, what would be the best choice of Wine? Or which wine would best complement the Stone Crabs.

Last, which wine would you never recommend with this dish?

Thanx in advance to all, I greatly appreciate any feedback.

from my understanding, the strict old school rules for wine pairing with food have pretty much gone out the window for the common man in recent years as wine has become more and more popular. these days people pretty much drink whatever they prefer with their food.

however, with seafood and lighter flavored fare, the "rule" would say to pick a white. i am a red guy, so even in a seafood situation my personal preference would be to take a light red, like a pinot noir. if i was eating beef i would take a cabernet or an italian red since they are more robust. but it is really your preference as to what you want.

all wine should be chilled, as "room temperature" does not mean real room temperature in winespeak, it's more like 70 degrees F. although, a lot of reds DO get served at actual room temperature as common practice. if you're buying a $20 bottle at a restaurant you can't really complain, but when you start to get near $100 it should be more of a given.

again, it is my understanding that reds should generally be served around 60-65 degrees F, and whites should be in the neighborhood of 45-55 degrees F. the warmer you go on the scale, the more flavor you are going to taste, but at the same time you can get the "harsher" flavors to come out as well.

no, i am not an expert, but i stayed at a holiday inn express in napa once.

Guest spainmiami
from my understanding, the strict old school rules for wine pairing with food have pretty much gone out the window for the common man in recent years as wine has become more and more popular. these days people pretty much drink whatever they prefer with their food.

however, with seafood and lighter flavored fare, the "rule" would say to pick a white. i am a red guy, so even in a seafood situation my personal preference would be to take a light red, like a pinot noir. if i was eating beef i would take a cabernet or an italian red since they are more robust. but it is really your preference as to what you want.

all wine should be chilled, as "room temperature" does not mean real room temperature in winespeak, it's more like 70 degrees F. although, a lot or reds DO get served at actually room temperature as common practice. if you're buying a $20 bottle at a restaurant you can't really complain, but when you start to get near $100 it should be more of a given.

again, it is my understanding that reds should generally be served around 60-65 degrees F, and whites should be in the neighborhood of 45-55 degrees F. the warmer you go on the scale, the more flavor you are going to taste, but at the same time you can get the "harsher" flavors to come out as well.

no, i am not an expert, but i stayed at a holiday inn express in napa once.

Thanx for you reply.

Would this be the answer you would give, if the Owner of Joe's Stone Crab asked you that question and getting a job with him depended on your answer?

Sorry for the hypothetical, I just want to differentiate your own opinion from the politically correct answer would be, if you will.

And yes I totally agree with you on your comments on the temps on wine. For most restaurants do no have wine cellar like temperatures for storing their wine. Nor are the bottles rotated, but thats another story.

ya I think you definately want to go with white. Try a Chardonnay or a Riesling. Although I'm not much of fan of white either, I usually go with a Red regardless of the meat

Guest lulamishka
Thanx for you reply.

Would this be the answer you would give, if the Owner of Joe's Stone Crab asked you that question and getting a job with him depended on your answer?

Sorry for the hypothetical, I just want to differentiate your own opinion from the politically correct answer would be, if you will.

And yes I totally agree with you on your comments on the temps on wine. For most restaurants do no have wine cellar like temperatures for storing their wine. Nor are the bottles rotated, but thats another story.

Are you applying for a job at Joe's Stone Crab?

Guest spainmiami
Are you applying for a job at Joe's Stone Crab?

Yes, and that is one question that is asked to all applicants.

Perhaps, I should have stated that in my 1st post but I thought I wanted peeps personal preference but quickly realized that I'm looking for the answer Joe's wants to hear.

Guest lulamishka
Yes, and that is one question that is asked to all applicants.

Perhaps, I should have stated that in my 1st post but I thought I wanted peeps personal preference but quickly realized that I'm looking for the answer Joe's wants to hear.

To be honest, I don't know a lot about wine, except that I like to drink it!

But I think the forums on this site would help you out a lot more: http://www.bitterwaitress.net/smf/

You have to register in order to see all of the forums, though. And it takes some time before your registration is approved. So register ASAP! :)

ya I think you definately want to go with white. Try a Chardonnay or a Riesling. Although I'm not much of fan of white either, I usually go with a Red regardless of the meat

Chardonnay and Riesling are TOTALLY opposite. Dunno how much help that would give someone if they aren't too familiar with wine. I like JMT's suggestion of a Pinot Noir if you like reds, a great one i had was "Sofia" from Coppola's vineyards. Not that pricey either, i had it with scallops and linquini.

If you want to make an experience you have to try a Burgundy Wine (Corton Charlemagne; Mersault, ..) anyway Chardonnay or Sauvignon blanc.

You can't drink a red wine with fish or related (maybe a rosè) :eek:... ok you can do what you want but if you tell this to the chef of Joe's Stone Crab you'll never find a work!

...anyway I think that the choice of wine is not the problem of your life so if prefer you can enjoy liste some deep soulful music!!!

(jazz,soul,disco,afro-brazilian-latin rhythms, deep & sexy soulful house, ...)

so visit my podcast ...maybe while you're tasting some deep deep white wine!

Peace & Keep it Soulful

DJ COLIN CRUZ

Colin from Switzerland

If you want to make an experience you have to try a Burgundy Wine (Corton Charlemagne; Mersault, ..) anyway Chardonnay or Sauvignon blanc.

You can't drink a red wine with fish or related (maybe a rosè) :eek:... ok you can do what you want but if you tell this to the chef of Joe's Stone Crab you'll never find a work!

...anyway I think that the choice of wine is not the problem of your life so if prefer you can enjoy liste some deep soulful music!!!

(jazz,soul,disco,afro-brazilian-latin rhythms, deep & sexy soulful house, ...)

so visit my podcast ...maybe while you're tasting some deep deep white wine!

Peace & Keep it Soulful

DJ COLIN CRUZ

Colin from Switzerland

wow, that has got to be the most inappropriate/shameless self plug/threadjack i have ever seen

kudos, buddy...you are a true artist

Guest lulamishka
wow, that has got to be the most inappropriate/shameless self plug/threadjack i have ever seen

Agreed.

Let's hope he doesn't do that in every post he writes.

Guest RzO

hahaha

and a rose champagne would go great with shellfish too. too bad i am too poor for my own tastes. if u do it take out style though u can be what they call a baller on a budget i think:eek:

Guest Electric Eel
pink champagne, yessir, tis me favorite.

also right now i've been addicted to this malbec named Cavia, has a little pink lizard on the label, it's excellent

Im a fan of Cavia wines

Guest JMT
pink champagne, yessir, tis me favorite.

also right now i've been addicted to this malbec named Cavia, has a little pink lizard on the label, it's excellent

malbec is so hot right now... malbec.