Clubplanet Nightlife Community

California BANS Smoking in Apartment and Condo Units

Guest ICON

Guest ICON

California BANS Smoking in Apartment and Condo Units

BELMONT, Calif. — Officials in Belmont have given final approval to a new smoking ban that is considered to be one of the toughest in the nation.

After a late push to ease some of the restrictions, the Belmont City Council voted Tuesday to pass the anti-smoking ordinance.

Prohibitions on smoking in parks and other public places will take effect in 30 days. The ordinance's most hotly contested elements — which ban smoking inside apartments and condominiums — won't be enforced for another 14 months.

Officials say the ordinance was written so that smokers will only face enforcement if their neighbors complain.

People will still be able to smoke on Belmont's streets and sidewalks as long as they are not loitering near the entrance to homes or businesses and in parking lots and designated smoking areas.

------------------

Whats next? I cant sit in the condo unit that I OWN and Pay for in front of my TV and drink a beer while watching a football game?

Guest myles hie

Kinda misleading title man, 1 city is doing this, not the entire state.

Won't be moving to Belmont anythime soon thats for sure.

Guest coach

You are apparantly missing this point people.

Officials say the ordinance was written so that smokers will only face enforcement if their neighbors complain.

Let me ask you this, should *I* have the right to sit in the condo I OWN or apt I PAY for and be able to breathe without being stunk out by cigarette smoke? Why does your right to smoke trump my right to breath clean air?

It's funny, this is a real-world example for us. In the apartments that we live in, the guy next door smokes. Now, if he smokes inside, we don't know. But, he regularly goes outside and walks up and down the front walk to smoke. This brings him right in front of our apartment and it really stinks the living room up. This is complicated by the fact that both Annette and I have bronchitis and it is aggravated by the cigarette smoke. So, the question is, even though this guy is smoking outside, in a public place, does he have the right to ruin our quality of life INSIDE OUR OWN HOME?

Guest drlogic

coach,,,ma' nig....this is this guys own private property....let tha dude smoke his cig's. I smoked cig's since I was 16(over 1 pk/day). I stoppped cold turkey the night my daughter was born...I was 27 yrs. old. I handed over the remainder of my pack of cigz to my boy and never smoke a cig since. Mind over matter,,,but that's just me.

But how can you deny a tax paying, home owning citizen the right to smoke a cigi on his own private property? I hear ya',,,,,,I do..really. But it bothers me.

Guest slamminshaun

As I've pointed out in the past, smoking cigarettes is banned but grilling hamburgers is not. Is the smoke coming off a charcoal grill somehow good for you? Nope....this is a witch hunt against smokers, not smoke.

Guest JMT
As I've pointed out in the past, smoking cigarettes is banned but grilling hamburgers is not. Is the smoke coming off a charcoal grill somehow good for you? Nope....this is a witch hunt against smokers, not smoke.

you can avoid a smoking grill pretty easily, mostly because hardly any condo or apartment complexes allow them. you cannot avoid a next door neighbor who stands on the front porch and in common areas and lights up every 30 minutes.

this part was key, though: Officials say the ordinance was written so that smokers will only face enforcement if their neighbors complain.

if you are smoking inside your unit and no one smells it, he or she would have no reason to complain.

Guest drlogic
you can avoid a smoking grill pretty easily, mostly because hardly any condo or apartment complexes allow them. you cannot avoid a next door neighbor who stands on the front porch and in common areas and lights up every 30 minutes.

this part was key, though: Officials say the ordinance was written so that smokers will only face enforcement if their neighbors complain.

if you are smoking inside your unit and no one smells it, he or she would have no reason to complain.

If I had a neighbor sell me out for something like that I would definitly think of something to fuck that prick! Mind you, I don't smoke(tobacco), but as a former smoker I don't really mind it. I would maybe fuck w/ the guys car,,,but only do shit that would cost less than his deductible to repair...Like slashing a tire one day......breaking a window another day.....once the tire gets replaced, slash another one...and so on......But that's just how my mind works......Then when he finally catches me,,,I'd break his face! lol!!!!

Guest Buck White
Then when he finally catches me...I'd break his face!

lol. Yeah fuck that turncoat up, DL. And when your done....piss all over that motherfucker, jack.

Guest drlogic
lol. Yeah fuck that turncoat up, DL. And when your done....piss all over that motherfucker, jack.

u and the pissing? LOL WTF bro? LMAO

I hate when people feel they can't approach me.....I'm very approachable. People who feel they have to go around me or over my head really swell my nuts. I'm not out to offend anyone or bother them(practical joking aside)....If I'm doing something they have a problem w/ and they approach me about it, I'd gladly work w/ the person to find a compromised solution. It's the pussy-bitchez who feel they gotta nark and squeal that force my hand.

You can ask anyone who's ever met me,,,,,I'm super passive and chill, but can't tolerate weasels.

Guest coach
coach,,,ma' nig....this is this guys own private property....let tha dude smoke his cig's.

Please, dude, read what I write before you post. What I said was he was NOT smoking in his own private property. He is smoking on the public walkway in front of the apartments and it wafts into MY private property.

But how can you deny a tax paying, home owning citizen the right to smoke a cigi on his own private property? I hear ya',,,,,,I do..really. But it bothers me.

So you are denying me my tax paying right to breathe clean air in my own private property? Why does his right come ahead of mine?

Guest slamminshaun
coach you should just start smoking cigarettes. everyone who's cool is doing it.

Yeah, Coach. What are ya, chicken???

Guest Buck White
coach you should just start smoking cigarettes. everyone who's cool is doing it.

And you should just start smoking meat cigars.