Clubplanet Nightlife Community

More proof the public school system is a failure.

Guest pod

Guest pod

http://www.miamiherald.com/775/story/289938.html

MIAMI -- Florida's public high schools have some of the worst student retention rates in the country, with half qualifying as "Dropout Factories," four times the national average, according to a new analysis of U.S. Education Department data.

The state's percentage of dropout factories, 51.1 percent, was the second-highest in the nation, slightly less than South Carolina's, according to the analysis conducted by Johns Hopkins University for The Associated Press.

Why we still let the government be involved in education is beyond me.

Guest cire

To me it's amazing these states with the worst drop out rates are usually red states. It's a bad system that no one is fixing. If you privatize, does that not just make it the same as it is now? You would have rich people, or at least well off people sending their kids to the expensive schools, and the poor sending their kids to the cheap schools? There is still going to be a drop off somewhere. I do not think either system would be perfect and therefore believe that, if you can afford private schools, let the citizens make that Choice, if you can't (or aren't smart enough) then stick with public gov't funded school.

Guest michael^heaven

I wonder if you break it down county by county, what particular areas of Florida have the highest dropout rates?

Guest web_norah
I wonder if you break it down county by county, what particular areas of Florida have the highest dropout rates?

low-income, mostly-rental, populated by minorities mostly.

i bet you $10, i am right.

Guest slamminshaun
the Palm Beach and Beverly Hills school boards would disagree with you

Money talks in education, unfortunately.

Interesting. Then explain why Washington D.C. spends more money per student than any other school system, yet they perform near the bottom?

Guest web_norah
Interesting. Then explain why Washington D.C. spends more money per student than any other school system, yet they perform near the bottom?

it is called minorities ...and it is not just about spending $$$ but how are they using this money and where it's being spent in their educational system

Guest JMT
it is called minorities ...and it is not just about spending $$$ but how are they using this money and where it's being spent in their educational system

please explain why minorites make schools perform worse, despite large budgets.

Guest Dj_Peace

How do you equate the failure of American schools for msot Americans with the "minorities" in the school system. And , for clarification, please define minorities for me as you categorize them. The bigger problem in the school system is not the makeup of the student population, it is unfortunately more complex:

A) lack of parental involvement is a major factor - too many parents are absent when it comes to involvement in the classrooms, volunteering in schools, PTA meetings, etc...if kids don't think parents palce a value on education, oftentimes they devlaue education

B) the education system has not eveolved in over a century yet the challenges of the marketplace today facing Americans requires much more technical proficiency which is not being taught in school -we are too busy teaching kids to take a standardized test -we no longer teach or encourage critical thinking, rationalization, problem solving skills nor do we teach history, the arts (or if we do, it is in severely limited amounts) We have also for the most part removed vocational skills training out of the schools with the thought that "one size fits all" if teh key to a good educational system

C) funding is not necessarily the solution -unless you fund the teachers, i.e., better pay and incentives to get the best of the best with a calling for the vocation to come back into the field - pay a living wage versus paying teachers enough simply to survive or in the case of South florida, barely enough to get by

Guest michael^heaven

Ever been to D.C.? G-E-T-T-O & ghetto was its name-o!:P

Guest web_norah
How do you equate the failure of American schools for msot Americans with the "minorities" in the school system. And , for clarification, please define minorities for me as you categorize them. The bigger problem in the school system is not the makeup of the student population, it is unfortunately more complex:

A) lack of parental involvement is a major factor - too many parents are absent when it comes to involvement in the classrooms, volunteering in schools, PTA meetings, etc...if kids don't think parents palce a value on education, oftentimes they devlaue education

B) the education system has not eveolved in over a century yet the challenges of the marketplace today facing Americans requires much more technical proficiency which is not being taught in school -we are too busy teaching kids to take a standardized test -we no longer teach or encourage critical thinking, rationalization, problem solving skills nor do we teach history, the arts (or if we do, it is in severely limited amounts) We have also for the most part removed vocational skills training out of the schools with the thought that "one size fits all" if teh key to a good educational system

C) funding is not necessarily the solution -unless you fund the teachers, i.e., better pay and incentives to get the best of the best with a calling for the vocation to come back into the field - pay a living wage versus paying teachers enough simply to survive or in the case of South florida, barely enough to get by

it is a very complex problem, perhaps one that cannot be answered with one sentence

what i meant with the minority issue is simple, ever notice how the more depressed urban areas have the worst equipped schools and resources? and *why* the population in these school areas is in fact a minority (Hispanic, black, lower income people generally).

if funding isn't the solution, then what is the real solution to a poor educational system all across the board? i don't know. does anyone here?

Guest swank
What if companies provided education for children, much like they do day care? Be great for recruiting and employee loyalty.

I love that idea....

and if companies were not big enough to sustain a school by themselves...they could pool together with other smaller companies.

Traditionally today I know that there are companies that pay for private school of the children belonging to higher management as an added perk. Problem with that is if something changes with your job and you have to pay for it....this could get expensive.