Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Non-wisdom from the Dalai Lama

Guest Blackiechan76

Guest Blackiechan76

I'm sure the Dalai Lama is a wise, insightful and altogether wonderful human being. He must be. Everyone says so.

Besides, he looks wise, insightful and altogether wonderful. The smiling helps. So does the robe. And when he grins, flips his shoes off and sits cross-legged in a chair on a stage in front of thousands, it's impossible not to look at the wrinkly little man and think this is ancient wisdom made flesh. His audiences are always breathless before he speaks. They lean forward, silent, enraptured, poised to catch each polished word as it spills from the man's sainted lips.

And this is where I have some trouble understanding the phenomenon that is the Dalai Lama.

It's his words. Nobody plays guru better. No debate there. Wherever he speaks, the atmosphere is electric, and there aren't many septuagenarians who can pack theatres and stadiums worldwide with two hours of extemporaneous talk. But much as I like a little crackle in the air, I can't gush about ancient wisdom made flesh until I hear some substance in the words.

In Ottawa on Sunday, the Dalai Lama spoke many words.

"The concept of war is outdated," quoth the Lama. To do away with external conflict, we must first change inside. "First inner disarmament, then outer disarmament."

Whoah, as surfer dudes are wont to say.

Then there was this trenchant observation: "We all come from our mother's womb. Therefore we all have the same potential for compassion."

At one point, the Dalai Lama indicated the source of humanity's problems by silently gesturing to his heart.

The audience loved it, as they always do. But I couldn't help but notice that, theatrics aside, these words read like the transcript of three out of five episodes of Oprah.

And it's not as if this was an off day. The Dalai Lama's website -- www.dalailama.com, naturally -- is filled with speeches and essays that offer such penetrating insights as this: "War is violence and violence is unpredictable. Therefore, it is better to avoid it if possible, and never to presume that we know beforehand whether the outcome of a particular war will be beneficial or not." Granted, the current president of the United States needed to hear this a few years ago but I think it's safe to say that most people know that wars can go bad and should be avoided if possible. In fact, I seem to recall making precisely this case in a Grade 6 public speaking contest.

On a more philosophical plane, the Dalai Lama offers this: "I believe that the purpose of life is to be happy." And happily, that leads to this: "Individual happiness can contribute in a profound and effective way to the overall improvement of our entire human community." If this is ancient wisdom, Deepak Chopra is the reincarnation of Aristotle.

My opinion does not seem to be widely shared, however. The Dalai Lama travels and speaks relentlessly -- if for nothing else, he should be admired for his endurance -- and people throng to bask in his wisdom.

"Audience Charmed by Dalai Lama," reads the headline of a typical event in Indiana last week. "Shortly into his 90-minute talk, the seated Dalai Lama stopped speaking, leaned forward and started untying his shoes," the bedazzled reporter wrote. "I'm used to sitting cross-legged," His Holiness observed -- a comment which the reporter dutifully passed along, perhaps sensing a deeper metaphor for the nature of existence.

"My main commitment is the concept of a happy life," the Dalai Lama told his Indiana audience. "Much depends on having peace of mind." Yes, well. Hard to argue with that. It was a little more daring to claim that "everyone has a basic right to a happy life," although he didn't elaborate on what that means, exactly. Was this right something that should be enshrined in constitutions and enforced in courts, thus bestowing happiness on lawyers? Or was this merely the sort of lazy half-thought that inevitably pours out of those who spend too much time surrounded by fawning audiences that treat every grunt and guffaw as a shiny pearl dropped from the heavens? I suspect the latter.

Now, please, I do not want angry Buddhists marching on my office. Not only do I consider Buddhism considerably less goofy than the stuff peddled by other old men who pack stadiums, I really do respect the Dalai Lama. This is a man who has spent his entire life annoying the Chinese politburo. The Nobel scarcely seems sufficient reward.

But words have meaning, and that meaning does not come from the person who speaks them. Trite is trite, platitudes are dull however they're polished, and the Dalai Lama's words contain as much insight as the average inspirational poster.

There, I said it. Now for some inner peace.

Dan Gardner writes Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. E-mail: dgardner@thecitizen.canwest.com

Guest slamminshaun

His wisdom is simple, but not simplistic. I read that review on him a while back and it always stuck with me. The author of the above article is missing the point. If what he says is so simple and obvious, why do we struggle in our lives to understand it?

Guest Blackiechan76
His wisdom is simple, but not simplistic. I read that review on him a while back and it always stuck with me. The author of the above article is missing the point. If what he says is so simple and obvious, why do we struggle in our lives to understand it?

After a long hard observation for the last 6 years after 9/11 I realized humanity doesn't want nor care for fundamental change. For some sick reason like to we like to struggle and enjoy pain, and don't really care for a rational solution when presented. It seems to be ingrained in our DNA to suffer, but for some reason I still have faith. Faith and hope left in only a few certain individuals (myself included), however that's what it's about to have your beliefs to be tested and challenged. Even at times shattered, but once all the pieces are put back together will it still function? It comes down to this, real change won't happen unless it comes from within.

So we'll see...

Guest web_norah

the Dalai Lama speaks mostly from the principles of Buddhism --and then expands his writing and speeches using his own personal experiences...

i don't understand what is so hard to grasp here.

the Art of Happiness is one of my personal favorites. it can be applied to many levels, personal and professional, spiritual....and he isn't pushing his beliefs one bit here, making it even more relevant to anyone, regardless of creed.

Guest Blackiechan76

That is a great book and have given it to a couple of friends as gifts. I think the columnist just wasn't too impressed with him in general or wasn't in the mood for enlightenment that particular day.

Guest web_norah
That is a great book and have given it to a couple of friends as gifts. I think the columnist just wasn't too impressed with him in general or wasn't in the mood for enlightenment that particular day.

it is ok to not be impressed. i am not impressed by a lot of so-called spiritualists....but in the Dalai Lama's case, i admire his views of how we can live a happier life, partly because coming from his experience (living in exile and not able to return to his homeland), he holds no hatred towards the China (or the Chinese) and he really practices what he preaches.

A lot of people search for complicated wisdom. They think that if its to simple, that it can't have substance. The key is to simplify. Taken from The Code: Ten Intentions for a Better World (which hangs not only in my house but in my cube)

"The Fourth Intent: Simplify

I let go so there is room for something better to come in. I intend that i am guided, guarded protected and lined up with the Highest Good at all times. I trust and remain open to receive from both expected and unexpected sources. I simplify."

This is true for not only the physical aspects of our lives but also our beliefs, ideas and thoughts. Too often we justify our actions and ideals. I cheat because of this, you hate because of that, this war is good because of them. These are untruths that would be uncovered if we just simplified and applied the wisdom of the likes of the Dalai Lama.

Guest cire

I really wanted to see him speak a few weeks ago when he was in Atlanta at Centennial Olympic Park. Damn work. I thought it would just be interesting to hear his view on world happenings in a simple, yet effective way.

Guest coach

Shaun! Did you just say something proufound? I'm proud of ya, man!

Yeah, the writer of that piece is obviously missing the point.

Guest Blackiechan76

Instructions for Life

-Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.

-When you lose, don't lose the lesson.

-Follow the three res. Respect for self, Respect for others, and Responsibility for all your actions.

-Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.

-Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.

-Don't let a little dispute injure a great friendship.

-When you realize you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.

-Spend some time alone every day.

-Open your arms to change, but don't let go of your values.

-Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.

-Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.

-A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.

-In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don't bring up the past.

-Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality.

-Be gentle with the earth.

-Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

-Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.

-Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

-Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon.

:) :) ~ Namaste ~ :) :)