Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Helpful Tips and Techniques for Obtaining a Residency

Guest Amado

Guest Amado

Good afternoon Everyone.

I wanted to begin a discussion thread in the topic of "Helpful Tips and Techniques in Obtaining a Residency" Taking into account that there are so many experienced professional here that already have residencies at various venues; I was hoping that we could begin a fruitful discussion to help the community as to what are some good techniques and polite approaches to get a residency at a location.

What are some of the helpful steps that one could take, what are pitfalls, what to watch out for, Who could we contact, Overall just a general discussion of best practices.

This would be very helpful -

I hope some of you, if not all, would be willing to contribute to this dialogue.

Please :)

Thanks

Amado Gonzalez

www.djAmado.us

Guest MichaelMnML

the only way you are gonna get a QUALITY residency is if you buy a venue and spin at it...:comfort:

or if you have a solid following of at least 150 people that come out for you....the key to a good residency is the people you bring in the door...

unless you have done a few Global Underground Compilations or about 4 or 5 for MOS...residencies are not going to happen at any respectable venue...

Oscar is the only Pimp in Town who enjoys a true residency

you might choose to go out and meet with owners as both a DJ service and promotion team who brings revenue to the club....like others are doing...but as soon as the peeps dont show, your ass is out the Door!

otherwise it would just end up being at a little whole in the wall or lounge/bar with a few of your friends for a limited amount of time before the owners find some other dude who brings more heads...and he might play hip hop so be prepared to lose your night to DJ Hoodlum...

Ask guys like Major who have held a successful smaller night for a while to figure out his secrets....it doesnt hurt to be british as well

get in the venues...make a ton more friends than you do enemies and piggy back off some wanker who will let you play and hope you do better than him all the while brining in more people :lickit: at least thats what I was told when i asked the same question to a select few people on here....

depends what kind of residency you are looking for though...

and lastly....it doesnt matter what you play as long as people show up...thats why some artists could care less about residencies, because they cant play what they want...

Guest Amado

Thanks MichaelMnML,

I appreciate the response, lets keep the whole thing going and see what others in the CJ community have to contribute, hopefully it will be a rewarding discussion thread with some insight and wisdom from the professionals here.

Amado Gonzalez

www.djAmado.us

Guest myles hie

Step 1- Have connected friends

Step 2- Have connected friends

Step 3- Have connected friends

Or

Be connected with people who make decisions.

You could be the best jock on the planet, but if you don't know anbody, your just another face in the crowd.

Guest Amado

Definately, public relations and your marketing are key things to take into account.

Trust, friendships, understanding, these are things that come into play when its being connected. Being connected with the right people definately takes time, and to build the points illustrated earlier takes time to. So definately who you know counts.

I believe Major is great example of someone who has held down a location for a year and keeps people coming out to Blue. He has built his market. A very good example.

The venue does not have to be the biggest in town, most of the time is the smaller more intimate one that I for one have more fun at. Groovejet was not the biggest venue on the beach, but dam where the times good. Mokai has been getting a lot of press and its small too. Obviously the pay is not as strong as the headline venue, yet like you said - its no fun when you are told what to play. That defeats the purpose.

It be interesting to hear what Major has to say about this, or anyone else for that matter.

www.djAmado.us

Guest HUGH
Good afternoon Everyone.

I don't know u man,but I saw your picture and you gotta be the 2nd nicest dude to ever walk the earth(Right after Jesus)

REGGAETON is the answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest HUGH

.............Ay,Ay Papi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Fulleteame el tanque..........

That's how you rock da club,not wit no gay-ass electronic music.

Guest Amado

I really happen to like this excerpt from the RA Top poll for 2007

"Set flow, is important. Great DJs bring a sense of story to the night. They are astute judges of the mood of the crowd and know when to drop the right track to bring a floor out of its funk (or into it). Great DJs can tease out non-obvious connections between records, or genres, or moods, making the club night not just about dancing and cutting loose, but also about learning about music. To my mind, the very best DJs also have a unique skill: by presenting a track in a certain it context, they can make you realise you like it. In that sense, DJs are educators."

DJs are the people who take electronic music and turn it into a memorable night out.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature-read.aspx?id=862

www.djAmado.us

Guest CROWN-ONE
Work.

Exactly, this man knows.

+ its all about who you know. Unless you build a night from the ground up.

Possible pitfalls are that when you are at the top haters start hating. Also as resident you are locked into a job for the immediate future. Don't feel good. Too bad time to go spin for 6 hours.

It is best to stay level headed as a resident because things change. Eventually you may get pushed out, fired etc. If you were an ass the whole time it might be hard finding a new home.

Guest Mr. Negativity

1.) Attend the venue you are targeting on a regular basis. Learn the bartenders' names. You'd be surprised how much information about the goings-on in a venue some bartenders are willing to divulge.

2.) Strike up a conversation with the opening dj after he is finished spinning. Chances are, he/she is the opening dj for a reason (usually the resident) and he/she will know the ropes. He/she will also appreciate that you show interest in the party.

3.) Never go to a venue you are targeting and expect djs to give you drink tickets! Buy your own drinks. Hell, buy a round for the djs too (even though the venue is probably picking up the tab).

4.) Remember, the dj that is there now is your competition. The trick is not letting them know that they are your competition from the get go. Turn your competitor into a friend by attending his/her party regularly. Chances are pretty good that if they find out you are a dj, they may invite you to spin with them.

Guest dancefloored
Good afternoon Everyone.

I wanted to begin a discussion thread in the topic of "Helpful Tips and Techniques in Obtaining a Residency" Taking into account that there are so many experienced professional here that already have residencies at various venues; I was hoping that we could begin a fruitful discussion to help the community as to what are some good techniques and polite approaches to get a residency at a location.

What are some of the helpful steps that one could take, what are pitfalls, what to watch out for, Who could we contact, Overall just a general discussion of best practices.

This would be very helpful -

I hope some of you, if not all, would be willing to contribute to this dialogue.

Please :)

Thanks

Amado Gonzalez

www.djAmado.us

pay rent

get your legal papers

dont hop borders

then youre a resident

Guest MichaelMnML
pay rent

get your legal papers

dont hop borders

then youre a resident

if it was just that easy...... the GOP would be out of issues to run on...that would be a shame

Guest Seb
1.) Attend the venue you are targeting on a regular basis. Learn the bartenders' names. You'd be surprised how much information about the goings-on in a venue some bartenders are willing to divulge.

2.) Strike up a conversation with the opening dj after he is finished spinning. Chances are, he/she is the opening dj for a reason (usually the resident) and he/she will know the ropes. He/she will also appreciate that you show interest in the party.

3.) Never go to a venue you are targeting and expect djs to give you drink tickets! Buy your own drinks. Hell, buy a round for the djs too (even though the venue is probably picking up the tab).

4.) Remember, the dj that is there now is your competition. The trick is not letting them know that they are your competition from the get go. Turn your competitor into a friend by attending his/her party regularly. Chances are pretty good that if they find out you are a dj, they may invite you to spin with them.

some good ones

Guest djway830

I have 2 agree w/Seb on this one.

In addition, go out to as many events that you can handle (without destroying your day job!) Make it apparent who you are and don't be scared to present your knowledge! Bring (many) clean demos....nobody wants to hear poor mixing. Buy drinks, dance, have a great time...cuz why else would you be going out???

Guest dancefloored
speaking from experience eh?

yeah Im speaking from first hand experience buddy! who the hell are you, Mister Sebastian? punk!

any more wisecracks and Im gonna drive my zamboni down to that rice field youre working at and ruin all your crops!

try me

Guest Seb
yeah Im speaking from first hand experience buddy! who the hell are you, Mister Sebastian? punk!

any more wisecracks and Im gonna drive my zamboni down to that rice field youre working at and ruin all your crops!

try me

Ha! so you coming out this weekend or what?

Guest Amado

I want to say thank you to those that have contributed honestly and sincerely,

to the dialogue.

I will be compiling the responses into one cohesive post with the contributors names on there as well. I believe some excellent tips and techniques have been posted by the CJ community here. Also I am happy to say that the numbers of views have grown too, it lets me know there is still hope, and that not all of CJ is flaming at each other. I am happy to know that there exist very good professionals here with on honest and serious intent to help and grow there craft.

Special mentions go to: MichaelMnML, myles hie, MARK IVAN, CROWN-ONE, **Mr. Negativity**, Seb, djway830.

To Mr. Negativity, post, which was an excellent one, I have been trained to approach work more from an approach to complement or collaborate, rather then compete.

I find it somewhat disrespectful to try and go in there and take someone else hard work.

So lets add to the tips: commitment, respect, ambition, courtesy, and among all friendship.

I will be posting later with the complete details.

Once again thank you to you all.

Best wishes

Amado Gonzalez

www.djAmado.us

Guest Mr. Negativity
I want to say thank you to those that have contributed honestly and sincerely,

to the dialogue.

I will be compiling the responses into one cohesive post with the contributors names on there as well. I believe some excellent tips and techniques have been posted by the CJ community here. Also I am happy to say that the numbers of views have grown too, it lets me know there is still hope, and that not all of CJ is flaming at each other. I am happy to know that there exist very good professionals here with on honest and serious intent to help and grow there craft.

Special mentions go to: MichaelMnML, myles hie, MARK IVAN, CROWN-ONE, **Mr. Negativity**, Seb, djway830.

To Mr. Negativity, post, which was an excellent one, I have been trained to approach work more from an approach to complement or collaborate, rather then compete.

I find it somewhat disrespectful to try and go in there and take someone else hard work.

So lets add to the tips: commitment, respect, ambition, courtesy, and among all friendship.

I will be posting later with the complete details.

Once again thank you to you all.

Best wishes

Amado Gonzalez

www.djAmado.us

I agree with you that collaborations always bring interesting ideas to the table but Miami is a cutthroat market for dj's. Those who are desperate for a gig will have to end up competing, sometimes with their own "friends."

Everyone and their grandmother is a dj in this fucking city.

Guest Major

I believe if you are truly passionate about something and have a goal to achieve you will work hard and spend every minute of your life to obtain that goal. You can apply that to anything in life, give it your best, you only have one chance in life, but be honest, that's the key. And you will surely be surprised at the reward.