Clubplanet Nightlife Community

why isnt there more good clubs in chicago

diesel77

Why does crobar has to be the only decent place here? Well redno5 maybe...but the rest of the places suck cock....

every place that opens up is another nocturnal....why cant someone open another crobar type of place....dont they see how many ppl that club attracts?

tommy

------------------

"Nobody picks on a strong man." - Atlas

Licencing. When i first came over i wanted to run some nights, as we used to do it in the UK. If you want to have music and booze you now have to serve food and that couses puther issues.

You should see the red tape you have to go through... but i have a cunning plan wink.gif Just need to wait till my Green card is here to setup a business cwm1.gif

If you already have a venue you can setup a night, but as you have said because there are only a few decent places, those places are full.

Oh and the late licences, another pain.. why is there no where that you can go and stay until 8-10. Ok there are afters places but they are seperate... so many things wrong, i get the feeling in Chicago we are being protected from ourselves too much.

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

When the party was in progress and unidentified frequency has been existing in the system for some time - Freak Frequency

bsb2.GIF

Tommy,

ya know..

I'm always complaining about the same 5hit. I went to Nocturnal and while its got a great lighting system (why the f**k doesnt crobar have lasers?), the crowd absolutely sucks.. plus its only a 2AM license..

If there are some rich dudes reading..

Why not buy/rent the "Drink" ?.. that place is practically dead.. I hear its for sale.. and its got some advantages.. #1 its humongous.. and #2 its got a 4AM license.. and #3 its got a kitchen.

I'd love to see that place turned into what Crobar used to be.

Originally posted by tranceaction:

Tommy,

ya know..

I'm always complaining about the same 5hit. I went to Nocturnal and while its got a great lighting system (why the f**k doesnt crobar have lasers?), the crowd absolutely sucks.. plus its only a 2AM license..

If there are some rich dudes reading..

Why not buy/rent the "Drink" ?.. that place is practically dead.. I hear its for sale.. and its got some advantages.. #1 its humongous.. and #2 its got a 4AM license.. and #3 its got a kitchen.

I'd love to see that place turned into what Crobar used to be.

Yeah, any rich people out there. I hear you, the Drink is weak right now but that place has potential, w/ a right group of creative minds that place can be dope.

------------------

wombat3.gif

I have mentioned this before on other posts, Mission is just like Crobar on Fridays, to bad it is in the burbs though. Other than that, I totally agree, "noturnal" like clubs blow ass, where is a happy medium? Anyone checking out Big Wig next Saturday for Mistress Barbara, or anyone been to that club?

------------------

0b32d3c0.gif

Originally posted by kimberlyco:

I have mentioned this before on other posts, Mission is just like Crobar on Fridays, to bad it is in the burbs though. Other than that, I totally agree, "noturnal" like clubs blow ass, where is a happy medium? Anyone checking out Big Wig next Saturday for Mistress Barbara, or anyone been to that club?

I've never been to Big Wig yet but I'll be checking out Mistress Barbara.

------------------

wombat3.gif

Drink is for sale..awesome space...but there are issues. I am pretty sure they are not selling the liquor license with the bldg. There are alot of issues with their license because of problems at the club. The city could shut them down at any time, as a result. If you buy the license, you inherit their problems as far as the city is concerned, not necessarily a good deal.

To clear up any misperceptions about the liquor license thing, a license is not connected solely to a bldg, but to a bldg and a company. To transfer a license, you basically take over the company that ran the club. Licenses are so hard to get in Chicago that most new licenses (for straight up clubs in particular) are actually transfers. Licenses have been known to go for as much as 1m dollars.

Also, my understanding is the 2am thing is for the first six months after you open a club. Then the city will review your license and potentially extend it to 3 or 4am. That is why all the new clubs are 2am.

I am leading a group here that is looking to open a club space, so we have done a lot of research. Our concept is quite a bit diff from anything that currently exists - we are looking more to the London scene (i.e. Space) for inspiration, but it is still quite a bit different even from that.

We sure as hell do not need another Nocturnal or Transit. I'll let those guys handle that niche.

-g

Well that sounds pretty good, 1 Million for a licence is it, it doesn't give the smaller promoter a chance. So all you get is big corperations or old business men going for them.

It's going to take people like you or i know Boogietribe who run the biggest events round here to do it. I have a lot of respect for Boogietribe, they get some great names. More of the underground DJ's(Dave Angel, Richie Hawtin, Sven Vath etc) but it's much better than most of the Rave outfits.

Anyway bloody good luck, obviosuley let us know when you get something sorted.

Also if you need hook-up's for UK DJ's, i know a few booking agents and people in the know on the scene over there let me know.

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

When the party was in progress and unidentified frequency has been existing in the system for some time - Freak Frequency

bsb2.GIF

So you need a liquuor licence to have a night club? What if you dont serve alcohol, like Vinyl in nyc?

Also i think all the other clubs would be decent as long as they were more concerned about music then what kind of a suit is the regular "tightass" parton wearing.....

tommy

------------------

"Nobody picks on a strong man." - Atlas

Unfortunately, I think that without liquor you would loose money and patrons. Not everyone does the club scene just for the music or the place to party. A place like XL can get away with no liquor because there isn't anywhere else to go at that time and so can Raves cause they are one time a month or so events. But even some of my friends don't do the "other" and they go out to drink, and they would not want to go to a club without the booze. It would be classified as more or less a "teen" club, which we all know doesn't fly.

As far as the Drink. That area is PERFECT place for a good club. It is HUGE, and with the right atmosphere, music, and people it could maybe tie with Crobar. wink.gif Good luck to those who are venturing into the business!!!

------------------

0b32d3c0.gif

Originally posted by gsk411:

Also, my understanding is the 2am thing is for the first six months after you open a club. Then the city will review your license and potentially extend it to 3 or 4am. That is why all the new clubs are 2am.

-g

I have yet to see ANY club/bar that was extended from 2AM to 4AM.. The people at Transit said the same thing, they've been open a year now and no change..

This city is so f**ed up with its licensing...