Clubplanet Nightlife Community

a question from NY

live1

Hello all you Chicago peeps!! I live in NY but am originally from St.Louis and have lots of family in Chicago - didn't get into the electronic music scene until I started frequenting Twilo here in NY. Now I'm addicted. I just wanted to know from some midwesterners what the scene is like there in Chicago (the dance music scene) - and if anyone knows if there's any good clubs in St.Louis and if it has migrated inward (to the midwest) at all. I'm gonna have a hard time visitng home if I don't know where to go to get my fix. It's nice to visit the Chicago portion of this board. Makes me feel at home cwm16.gif

Hey there... I visit for the same reasons.

When I went out in Chi-town, I would go to RedNo5, Karma (now closed), Crobar, and an after-hours thats now closed as well (XL).

Don't worry, there's a great scene thriving in Chicago, but you have to start a little earlier than in NYC. The Chicago clubs close around 4 or 5 and I'm no longer aware of any after-hour clubs.

This board seems to be big fans of Crobar and Transit.

------------------

I'm in search of myself. If you find me before I arrive, please have me wait.

AOL IM: petrol01

Hey there! I was in NYC last year and loved Tunnel and but stood in line too long for Twilo and did not get to experience! There really is no comparison, but Crobar and Red No are definitely close! Good music and a good vibe. Transit is a really nice club also. As for afterhours, besides your small get togethers here and there, we are at a loss for anything that was like XL.

I have friends that frequently visit St. Louis and they talk up the Cheetah Lounge. I can't give an opinion because I have never been but they are into the same scene. Hope that this helps! biggrin.gif

I have been to Cheetah, it is a good club, same kind of scene. I used to live in carbondale which is close. The Oz is the same scene too, and is open really late.

Crobar and Redno are both a good time. We are finding out Transit is only good when they have talent coming in.

As far as XL, you liked XL nauti5?

------------------

0b32d3c0.gif Life is only complicated because you make it so. Remember what it was like to live carefree - and live that way again!

XL was a crack den. But Crobar and RedNo are both awesome. Crobar just needs some serious work done to the air conditioning, you sweat your ass off standing still. Transit, as Kim said is only good when they have guest DJ's and/or when Dave Medusa and UR magazine are promoting it, which is almost every saturday.

------------------

b_md_wht.gif

Originally posted by nauti5:

Transit is only good if there is a good dj there. Otherwise it could be pretty lame. Stick with Red No and Cro!

RedNoFive seems to have the best talent on Thursdays, and Crobar on Saturdays. Transit has guest DJ's brought in by Dave Medusa almost every saturday, those are the nights when the place gets packed, but not too packed.

------------------

b_md_wht.gif

It's a shame that clubs close so early there in Chicago. I think that the best thing about clubbing here in NY is that it feels more "underground" because of the hours the club keeps. I usually can't count on a party getting good until at least 5am. And by 7 the DJ's are pulling out all the stops. Only the hard core people stay that late, but it's good because it filters out the people who don't understand the experience. And there's nothing like exiting the club and dodging people going to work in the early morning (or late morning). It's definatly one of the aspects that makes clubbing most appealing. My very first time I stayed till 11am.

I'm glad there are good clubs back there in the midwest, I hope I get to visit sometime. Keep the spirit alive all of you -

Hey BB--in case this catches your interest--I am not sure about next weekend, but Friday, June 22, Lego and some other house dj's will be up at Dragon Room. I will try to get next weekends line-up for you! CIAO!

------------------

R U nauti 2?

Lego huh? He's pretty good, and he frequents Zentra and a few other clubs in CHI, not so sure about going to Dragon Room though, I was never really too high on the vibe of that place. I guess if the talent is worth seeing then it can be overlooked.

------------------

b_md_wht.gif

I can't say that I was a big fan of XL, I only went there a couple of times! But I agree with BB, it was a total crack den!! I have not been to any good afterhours in a LONG time, since I used to go to parties. Maybe it was fun because I was younger and could tolerate being out until noon on Sundays!!! Not the case anymore, it is straight home after the clubs! redface.gif

Transit is only good if there is a good dj there. Otherwise it could be pretty lame. Stick with Red No and Cro!

------------------

R U nauti 2?