Clubplanet Nightlife Community

NYC coming to DC

krakhed

Taking a road trip at the end of August...one night in Maryland to watch a friend who plays for the Toronto BlueJays minor league team, another night (Saturday) in DC. Need some suggestions that might come close to what we're used to in NY...Sound Factory (Exit when it first opened)...hard house...brand new re-mixes...good venues...some crackheads in the crowd...any help would be appreciated.

Buzz is Sting at Nation. yes it's pretty young, but good... Platinum on Saturdays is OK but a bit townie; or you could try Glow at Zei - haven't been myself but heard OK things about it.

If you just want to chill try Dragonfly (1215 connecticut ave nw) or 18th St Lounge opposite(both older, richer, trendy places) on (surprisingly enough) 18th Street nw. Red is another option in Dupont circle which is small but usually fun.

Go to Platinum on a Saturday night - it's 21 and over and their sat. are dubbed "NY Nights" (at least they have been for the last couple of months) It's all hard house - I'm not sure how the crowd is - depneds on the nights. For something more upscale, try 1223 (I can't do the Roman numerals) it's on Connecticut Ave. near N. Street. It's an older crord - you may run into some professional athletes.

If anything - pick up the City Paper when you get there - they are all over DC and free - it has all that's weeks listings

Hope this helps!

T.T.

GWU

GLOW at Zei is decent. I've been there

only twice and it was in the last 2 months.

I was there for Taucher and George Acosta.

Taucher was basically Paul Van Dyk...German

style house. Acosta was, well, Acosta! He

fuckin' brought the house down with his amazing bass pounding electric house. Of course, I rolled the night of Acosta and not the night of Taucher. As for the scene, there's a lot of beautiful faces. Go to dance and not to meet girls...

Unfortunatley, you will not find anything here that comes close to what you can find in NYC. Sting at Nation on Friday might be a good night but its pretty young. Other than that, there is Element, but I was there a few weeks ago and it was DEAD shot.gif Sorry but that's about it around here!

sorry to tell you, but DC nightlife won't even come close to SF or EXIT. the only real club to go to was TRACKS, but now that it's closed you're s.o.l. you're better off not going to these so called "clubs" because you'll be very disappointed. the music here is very dated. if you do go out, make sure you drop 5-6 pills to make it enjoyable.

You will not find anything like Sound Factory (before techno and trance was mislabled "house") in DC. The closest thing to a NYC house scene circa the early 90s is RED or State of the Union on Sundays. If you go to RED get there before 1 a.m. or you may not get in. Warning though, there are not too many single women at either club so bring your own date.

All the other clubs that were posted in response to your question are not house clubs, they mostly play techno and trance. If you like the Twilo crowd, you'll like GLOW at ZEI on Saturdays or Sting/Buzz at Nations on Capitola Hill.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess that pretty much sums it up...in my opnion Buzz at Nation on Friday is the best...they usually have international djs (eg, Tall paul, timo maas, etc) - its a young raver crowd, excellent vibe. On Sat there's a gay party at Nation called VelvetNation (never been but hear its good). Platinum is sorta like the LImelight of DC...in fact LImelight's DJs spin there on Sat.

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by vicman

welllll.....shiiiiiiiet....eggmoks first post on the DC board way bac when dinosaurs ruled the earth........

Yeah, and my how things have changed. He bashes DC's nightlife, saying it can't compare with NYC. But now, two year's later, Buzz is the shit, and NYC's nightlife IS shit.

Originally posted by raver_mania

Bail...check the dates of the previous posts - this thread is from 2000. Vic likes pulling up old threads..

Damn, I haven't seen dirtyslapper in over a year! Wonder is she's still in DC.

LMFAO!!!1

:laugh:

I know i was wondering what the hell was going on..thats funny

but hey you know nightlife has its ups and downs.so maybe thats when NYC was on an up...