Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Favorite Venues?

vixenfoxxy

It seems there are some obvious winners on this board, just judging by who goes where the most often, but what are you favorite clubs in DC, and what is it that makes them awesome?

------------------

"When you're feelin' good in somebody's spot, gettin' hot, don't stop, just don't think I'm not!" ~Candy

vixen i see you are trying to post new threads on washington dc board. no one here likes to post or start converstaions. this is not the NYC board thats for sure lol

anyways my favorite club used to be 5! but i went there to often and i think its gotten trashy and sleazy. Its not the same club it was when it first opened up before.

Well really, I just kind of ask the question as they come up... a lot of people are forever asking me about which clubs are the best in DC and why, yada yada, but since I have to work at the same clubs two of three weekend nights, I don't get to go to all the rest of them as easily as I could otherwise. But you're right, this board is definitely a lot quieter than the NYC one. If you'd rather it stay that way (if that's what you meant), then I'll stop posting new threads...was that what you were getting at? Or just making an observation?

------------------

"When you're feelin' good in somebody's spot, gettin' hot, don't stop, just don't think I'm not!" ~Candy

Awww. I like it when discussions start! Don't be discouraged Vixen, the Chicago board's the same way too. Anyways, I don't think I've made a firm conclusion on a favorite venue in DC yet. But definitely Rednofive in Chicago. If you guys ever visit, you MUST go there. They bring in the best talent and the people who work there are so chill about everything. Oh wait, thought of one! I really liked the Black Cat last time I was there for a hip-hop show, Jeru the Damaja. Excellent vibe. Felt like I was in one of those happy, laughing beer commercials. You know, where everyone's dancing, there's crowd in the middle circled around a group of break boys/girls. It has a really intimate stage setting too.

You're right about this board being really quiet. I wish people would share more. . .

5 is my favorite, esp sat nights. it's got a good crowd, meaning some people who actually know the music and aren't there just for the scene, it's a little nicer than zei and a lot nicer than nation, the crowd is a little older (but not too old), and the music that alex and buster lay down on saturdays is almost always really good trance.

and, maybe it's just me, but i think the people who work there (bouncers and bartenders in particular) have gotten nicer.

and how awesome was it this past sat - when the power (and therfore sound system) went out for 20 minutes, mgmt decided to have open bar!!!! smile.gif

I meant it was crappy on the DC board.. and that more people should post on it. Please continue to make new threads.

As far as 5 goes its gotten weird and there aren't that many good dancers there. I haven't gone to nations it a long time because its not my crowd. But i think i might visit it soon cuz i here they got some good dancers I here. To bad there aren't that many more clubs here in DC.

It depends a lot on what I'm in the mood for.

For a low-key, cheap night with a decent DJ, I go to Heaven in Adam's Morgan. It's a little cheesy, but the people are always very nice and you can dress as casual as you like. It's $5 to get in and drinks are cheap and strong!

For some of the best music in the world I go to Nation. It's a younger crowd, but a great chance to see what is on the cutting edge of music and dance styles, IMHO.

My favorite is 5 on Saturdays - the music has been incredible the last few weekends, with Scott Henry playing the early set. It's $15 to get in, but I have a connection at the door and usually get in for free. It's also a little more upscale and the drinks are more expensive, but I really like the crowd. There aren't that many good dancer - but you can tell lots of people are there for the music and not just to hook up!

deff agree, we should start conversations, i mostly chat with peeps from jersey, but we gotta start something since there are plenty of us around

im a nation person, love that club, although some of the bouncers suck but deff cool

------------------

"...im worst at what i do best and for this gift im being blessed..." Kurt Cobain

C'mon now. $15 isn't all that bad. If you think about all the money that goes into making one night at a club: maintenance of the venue, equipment, paying the djs, bartenders, waitstaff, bouncers, etc, and then the promoters take most of the money after that, it's surprising club owners make any money at all (alcohol sales help though).

This would be a good thread, comparing cover charges at clubs. I mean, twilo's up to $30 some nights, Nation's the same for certain events as well. I'm reluctant to pay that much, but usually I'm easily willing to pay $20 for a night at a really good club.

i agree w/ scratch in that some nights at certain clubs are indeed worth the money. however, i'm not sure i agree w/ $15 about 5. i'm glad i'm a female and only pay $10, but my guy friends all have to pay $15, and i don't know if i'd say 5 is worth it (although it is my favorite club in dc). the venue is just a little too small and not great enough lights, etc etc, to warrant $15. now for special dj's like scott henry, sandra collins, etc, i'm certainly willing to pay more. and actually, twilo is now up to $35 for sasha and digweed nights, and the 4-year anniv. party for s&d (originally this fri but it's been postponed), is gonna be $45. pricey, but well worth it, IMO. cwm41.gif

Nation for its rotating line-up of super-star DJs. Also the space is huge,though a bit too "industrial" looking for my taste.

The vibe (though young) used to be very good say last summer..but now...

5 is good but $15 is ridiculous...Nation charges $15 for some of the best DJs in the world!

------------------

"I would believe only in a god who could dance."

Nietzche

I dunno.. although its $15. You still have to be some hard core fan of 5 to want to go in. I could go to 1223 for free and get 3 drinks for that price. I think Club EXIT in NYC use to be $15 one point. Now its $30! I mean if someone like PVD came and spin.. i can see the reason for the price. But to make it regular fee sucks. 5 is not that big in size compared to some other venues. Bigger clubs I can see why it would cost more to afford etc.. My only concern is I usually bar/club hop to difference places. And cover charge takes a big chunk out of my wallet.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a newbie to this forum but my favorite place when I was younger was the 5th column aka Platinum. I thought Element was good when it opened but since the shootings it's not my scene. Nations is my best bet for now. cwm1.gif