Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Becoming a DJ?

I know, I know, everyone's dream these days is to become a Rock Star DJ. But I have seriously loved this music for a while, and wonder - how does someone become a DJ?

Do you just buy the equipment and fool around, are there classes you can take, etc?

Any advice appreciated.

------------------

Hi!

don't really know how to answer this.. But I want to try!

Yes, You could buy the equipment and just fool arround, but I would recomend a class or for someone to teach you the basic...

People in recordstores usually can point you in the right direction, because they are usually in the business... Or talk to DJ's arround you and ask how and where they all began!

I would NOT recomend to buy EVERYTHING first, because you just might find out it is nothing for you... lots of money out the window... so ask arround and hopefully there is someone you know who are kind enough and let you try their decks!

Good luck anyways & let us know how it goes! wink.gif

=P

~Enjoy!

------------------

DJing can be the best thing you ever do...but it does take a lot of time and commitment. I would first try out other peoples equipment in spare time to see if it something that you actually want to pursue...like any sport or instrument there are a fair share of frustrations getting started.....but is rewarding as hell, once you figure out what to do and can "escape" while spinning...

SO, I recommend buying secondhand Turntables and a low-cost mixer. You can hook these up to just about any home stereo input. This would give you a chance to start with the basic tools. Technics are the best Turntable obviously, but other companies have made some good movements with them.

Gemini for example sells complete DJ kits with 2 Turntables and a mixer. Make sure the Turntables are DIRECT DRIVE though.

The read and listen as much as possible to start. But once again - practice is key...read the CLUBplanet learning to spin section and the GeminiDJ.com DJ 101 sections for starteers...

But classes are always available and a great way to learn, too. I teach them every now and then for beginners if you're interested.. Where are you located?

I'll help you any way I can. I support the DJ Movement and prospering as much as I can...Let me know. Good luck.

-Joe Dunn

U-SPIN

201-681-6833 cell

jd32977@aol.com

------------------

Guest clubkid77

I just went out bought a set of 1200's, and a numark mixer, got some vinyl, and started spinnin. Spent about 5 hours a day practicing. After about 3 months i got the hang of matching beats though it took me a while and i wasn't by any means dead on, after about 5 months it started to fall into place. All i can say is if you realy want to do it, get your self some equipment and strat practicing... You will never really learn how to spinn on someone elses stuff cuz you wont be able to spend the kind of time it takes to learn on someones equipment. Just try it out on someones stuff to make sure its something you really want to do.

-DJ Jeff Phillips

------------------

I live in Hoboken, party and do business in the city, and work in Jersey... I have always taught from my apartment, but it may work out well to show up and teach....

Nonetheless, Hoboken is do-able from Manhattan and vice versa...Either way, Im always looking to help someone serious about DJing....

You interested in lessons or business? Let me know...

-Joe

201-681-6833

------------------