Clubplanet Nightlife Community

what club has the best lightshow

how about what club HAD the best light show.. which would probably have been Palladium, when it was Arena, with Junior Vasquez and Mike D. on the lights...(of course, Palladium many many years ago was even nicer looking.. the walls used to be covered by fabric for blended colors of light.. from what I understand). However, Palladium had the ORIGINAL Vari*Lites (those big moving lights that were flown on motorized trussed from the cieling) and the original Vari*Lite control console which was just cool in and of itself (these were the ORIGINAL moving "intelligent" lights in club-land). Not to mention the walls that lit up, etc.

tUnneL was where i fell in love with lights and the club scene.. back when tUnneL had the kick-ass pinspots in rows down the length of the club.. it was a great effect, along with the double rows of Intellabeams also down the length of the club - able to do some great chases and stuff.

Twilo. it sucks.. its such a low-cielinged, boring space.. but Mike D. makes good use of what they have.. i like the new mini-strobes all across the cieling.

Limelight.. well.. its got SO MUCH potential.. but it was always rather boring and underequipped...they could do some great effects and all sorts of nifties if they put some more $$ into it (ha ha). Even now, the new Limelight, is still kinda boring.

Roxy has great potential also.. but its EXTREMELY boring.. they haven't moved the lights since they reopened, i think.

I haven't seen the new Exit, but, if i remember the Carbon space, its also got a ton of space and great potential (height = creative lighting freedom)....

that's all i can think of..

I hazily remember a time at the old Carbon when they had these green lasers that kind of made a wave and vortex paterns over your head. There were like 50 lines in all. I almost shit my pants it was so damn beautiful.

And this was BEFORE drugs fucked with my mind!

I know most of you don't like EXIT but they have a great show. They have the brightest white lights that I have ever seen. I remember the first time I went there and saw the SNOW and the lights. I lost it. They also has a great green laser effect there around New Years.

SF has incredible lighting too. Their lights are so trippy. I was dead sober the last time I was there and I was trippin my ass of. I kept seein all kind's of shit.

Vynil!

It doesn't have the best equipment out there but when Ariel (the light jay at Dance Ritual and Body&Soul -I don't know if he is there on Friday or Saturday-), is feeling it, he's just amazing. He's totally in sink with the music and work the light knobs as much as the djs work the mixer knobs. At Body&Soul, go next to the bar and look at the lights, it's beautiful.

(The proof that equipment is not all you need you need human talent too)

I liked Cheetah when there was the turning movie screens, it's a genious idea.

big clubs tends to have better equipment with crappy light jays...

Plur,

Joël S.

The Old TRAX's in DC had an amazing light system. They had about two hundred rows of small spot lights that would light up in sucsession either vertically or horizontally one or two rows at a time and move back and forth, up and down the room changing in time with the beats. And that was only the top teir!They had all the other basic running along underneath it. Sometimes they would shut down the music and have these WOOSH sound effects or ocean waves run with the lights. It was simple but dope.

Twilo has an excellent light show, but it really depends on which guy is there. When they rent out the lasers especially, it can be really amazing. There use to be a light guy for Junior who came on at 6am, absolutely fantastic.

Now exit has a pretty excellent light setup too, and a huge screen of trippy graphics. I love when they do the huge strobe flash once, lights up the entire club at the perfect moment.

JoelB

I think the best lighting spectacle I have ever seen was at Exit the week after New Years Eve. They had these huge green lasers that shot across the whole ceiling, it was an impressive sight. Also the lights were absolutely going off all night in perfect sync combined with the best music I ever heard there. The addition to the TV screen is cool but I havent seen the green lasers since.

Yeah the lasers at EXIT at the top of the main floor are truely astounding. Expensive too, which is why they don't have them every night. I mean, ya gotta save something for the special occasions anyway. My question is, when is EXIT bringing back the acrobat performers, Cirque de Clubbe, hehe

joelB

Originally posted by JoelB:

Twilo has an excellent light show, but it really depends on which guy is there. When they rent out the lasers especially, it can be really amazing. There use to be a light guy for Junior who came on at 6am, absolutely fantastic.

My friend AJ does (did?) most of the laser shows at Twilo.. he's really talented.

When you say there used to be a guy for Junior.. what era are you talking? are you talking.. early tUnneL, when it was Dustin Tenna? or... what?

Ever since Junior was at tUnneL years ago, his light man has been Michael David (Mike D.) the tall lanky black guy. Mike D. is one of the best light jockeys in the city!!! He has moved with Junior from tUnneL, to Palladium, and now to Twilo.. and each time, once he gets used to the system, he RULES the lights. They also have another guy at Twilo, Mike;s assistant, the short hispanic guy.. but.. *shrug*... i don't know his name.. I dont know if Mike D. works any other nites at Twilo either.. anyone know?