Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Electric Circus 2 Review!

My friends and I arrived at Exit at Midnight. There were Club Kids milling all over 56th street. I heard one say "I am not like you guys. I'm 18. I can get in". Others were extremely agitated that they had been refused entry. This was a groove pilgrimage so we were unaffected by all the hype. The pilgrimage was fulfilled but the scene made it difficult. We jumped in line. We got in about 10 minutes later.

The crowd was young. I expected that. I, however, did not expect the overcrowding and humidity. Lets put this in perspective. I like a club with a crowd because it brings a ton of energy. I also like dancing until my shirt is soaked because it means the music moved me. But you must understand, it took approximately 20 minutes to get up the stairs

from the first to the second floor. To make matters worse, my shirt and pants were completely soaked after being in the club for about 1/2 hour. I hadn't even danced a step at this point. This comes from a relatively dry guy unless he has been moving hard core for quite a while. As one can imagine, the overall mood was fairly tense at this

point. The swinging glowsticks were the lone highlight at this point. Props to all the brothers who can make those things fly. One guy had red,white, and blue sticks attached to two separate tethers. Unbelievable.

Rain closed the roof deck for the first half of the night. Maybe that is why the club was so initially overcrowded. A lot of people were tweaked out and laying all over the place. The atmosphere could not have

been worse. My friends went down for the count. All three of them bolted around 2pm. I refused to let the sticky, crowded, high school scene banish me from my music. So I flew solo.

The Dj's were strong with a couple surprises and one disappointment. Since I never got a flyer with the lineups listed I can't give a

complete rundown on all the acts but overall the music was tight. Dave Ralph was deep but not innovative so therefore disappointing. Kevin Saunderson and Derrick Maye were on fire. They really got the place going. The drum & bass, although not my thing, tripped. The Trance/Prog. house room was jumping. Dj Teddy and Extreme really got people on their feet. I was impressed with their skills. George Acosta thumped (see below).

Exit eventually opened the roof deck. It is definitely something to check out. Its got a South Beach feel. The fountain bar is beautiful. The outside temperature had dropped by this point so the deck was a nice

refuge from the internal inferno. Dj Dave spun some nice funkalicious house. George Acosta was chillin at a table with his peeps. People were into it.

I ended up hanging for a short time with a 17 year old kid from Suffolk county. It was his birthday. He invited me to smoke up with him. Since my degradation of minors only goes so far, I had to tell the Big Dog (his nickname) no thanks. I learned something from this interaction, "I would put this kid up against half the pretentious dicks

I meet in the city, he was cool no matter what his age". So a big "Woof" goes out to my boy from out East.

I was gliding through the main room when George Acosta took over the decks. Ok, let me mention that I own his "Awake" cd. It is, with no question, "Candy trance". I play it when I'm in the mood for that stuff because it is danceable. But understand this, the beats he spins live are much different than his studio shit. I mean, he was on. The sound was aggressive and in your face. The snow started to fall. The floor was ripping and moving as hard as it had all night. You can't underestimate this feat because it was 5:30am and much less crowded. I know Acosta has his critics but I could find little fault with his set. He was right up there with Saunderson/Maye as the best acts of the

night.

During the Acosta bombardment I danced with this pink/violet wigged girl named Lisa. Age unknown but definitely nice. She gave me a purple sparkly bracelet which I still wear. I love random acts of kindness. It helped ease the sting of riding with no posse.

The clock struck seven. My knee was sore and I could barely move. I must have spent 100 bucks on drinks/water. I fled. It was an

interesting evening. Electric Circus 2 was too young (lets face it,some teenagers are assholes, they do not want to hang with

twentysomethings either), too crowded, and too hot. Thank God for the Music.

[This message has been edited by capricorn13 (edited 07-05-2000).]