Clubplanet Nightlife Community

TRANCE MUSIC...played out?

As much as I hate to admit it (cause I love Trance ) it does seem that DJ's have been moving away from Trance and into the more progressive music. However having said that PVD is still the GOD of Trance and everytime he plays he incorporates Trance beats into his sets. Personnaly I love uplifting Trance that was huge in 1999...too bad that it seems to have died down. Oh well...there is still PVD and who knows maybe Trance will resurface in a few years...

In a recent DJ mag article interviewing PvD, he wishes so much that he wasn't labelled as the Mesiah of trance. The reason behind it is that there's a lot of crap coming out labelled as trance from guys like Ferry Corsten, Matt Darey, and ATB to name a few. He just hates the bullshit tracks coming from record labels labelling that as trance or better known to us as cheez! All those compilations w/ the word trance in it. Don't bother. They're crap... I think they use that word as a marketing scheme. Whatever. It's obviously paying off.

I used to represent at PvD hardore. His sound didn't change much. As much and as fast as music evolves you've got to keep up with it. His sets are pretty much the same and very predictible. I don't care for that. That's just my opnion. Say what you want, if he rocks it for you, that's fine. It was time to move on.

TRANCE died in 99. That was the year of it, just like Speed Garage was the sound of 97. How quickly did that genre disappear... And progressive will probably do the same. Then it will be breaks and so forth.

Nolimit I agree that sounds do change and one must accept that...the thing is that what first attracted me to the scene was Trance music...I don't mind House and Techno (In fact I dig some of the progressive stuff being played these days) it's just that I missed out on 1999 when Trance was in it's prime...I want to go to a club and hear songs that move me like "Velvet" and "Endless Wave"

Man, hella good points in this thread. I think B2B's on it, though.

Remember deep vocal house? How about retro house? It seems like it's still around, but it's all just recurrence.

Charrails brings up an interesting point/question, too. One of my friends asked me to play that "trance" song from Alice Deejay last Sat. night. I understood that he meant Better Off Alone, but that's not trance. That is, in my funky-ass opinion anyway, still progressive house. It's still big beats, rolls and peaks. I think the defining points of trance are things like being REAL damned long, not having just one discernable peak in the song and keeping a semi-hypnotic undertone to them. Paul Oakenfold, I think, is a good (BASIC) definition of what I define trance to be.

It's a neverending battle, though. How many times do I have to hear that Disco is going to come back again? Personally, I'm in transition from progressive house to more of a trance feel. In the area that I'm currently living (hell), if it's not on the radio, then it's not in the clubs. I'm getting my customers past that, slowly but surely. It's hard as hell, though, when they want to hear Amber and 69 Boyz because that's what they think that house and club music is supposed to be.

Trance is, sadly, getting played out. I'll hate to see it go, but I'll relish in the fact that it will return. All genres do, and so will my beloved trance.

(DISCLAIMER - All musical references in this post were at the height of cheesiness, just in case someone reading this isn't able to seperate genres. Maybe we should start a site dedicated to keeping all of these damned things straight. Add a sound, and it becomes trance, add words and it's house, put in a massive build and it's progressive. No wonder people are confused.)

------------------

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are the Dreamers

We are the music makers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No doubt the trance sounds that were huge last summer are being rearranged and imitated

and now sound old and cheesy, but there are

still good trance tracks coming out these

days. You just have to look for original

stuff. I guess it is all getting harder and

more minimal though.

Can trance really die? To me trance is

house/electronic/dance music that has a

dreamy, hypnotizing effect on listeners. I just feel like people, especially those who are rolling are gonna keep wanting to hear

trancy stuff, whether it be trancy house, progressive trance, trance/breaks, or any

other genre with a trancy twist to it. Maybe

trance is changing, not dying.

I think trance is having a tough time of it because it's got this stigma attached to it. Quiet a few DJ's and producers are moving away because of the cheesy/throw away image it's got because of ATB & the rest. I don't like the way people are moving away, I think if you believe in something you should stick to it not just move where the money is.

But it wont die it's been around for years and is always going to have a following. It will just get smaller and re-invent it's self. It's the same old cycle that's been happening to house and techno for the last decade... nothing new.

------------------

I want to go out blazing not fade away.

It's not just about the notes played, it's about the spaces in-between.

top.gif

very good points by many people, here's how i feel about trance. that candy trance which was at its peak last year is certainly dying out, but elements that make up trance music are apparent in all sorts of different genres from prog house, to hard house to even techno. on any give s&d nite you hear some savage tracks which can fall under trance or prog house. pvd's also killing that candy trance from his sets and playing some hard dark well produced tracks. the sets from that night tilt and parks and wilson were perfect examples of prog house and trance and all sorts of different musics blending and making great music