Clubplanet Nightlife Community

fear and loathing in providence

sirdante

ANOTHER TRUE STORY FROM THE LIFE OF SIRDANTE:

one time, i got in a car accident near providence when i was 19. it was a horrible single car crash bc our driver lost the road in the rain and we slid off a ramp 40' in the air. we flew, smashed, and rolled. five young men were in that car. 4 out of the 5 of suffered severe life threatening trauma, but we all lived.

after regaining consciousness, and despite my shredded flesh and completely crushed shoulder-- 5 smashed bones including a cleanly split scapula/shoulder blade, i rounded up the walking wounded and marched us all back to the highway. although i knew i was lying, i assured everyone that we were fine since we could all walk and talk. i kept everyone calm and quiet.

now, my injuries were grievous, but two of my friends were worse. my friend jeff had crushed his ribcage, had a sucking chest wound from being wrapped around a tree at 40 mph, and was gurgling blood while pete had head trauma and the flesh of his right arm stripped down to the bone. so my friend chris and i, with my one good arm, started to try and flag down a passerby. poor chris had minor injuries yet was prob worse off than any of us bc he had the misfortune of remaining conscious and watching with horror as his friends were crushed and/or flung from our rolling wreck.

we finally got a RI state cop to stop. we brought him over to the side of the road so he could survey the bloody scene-- the entire right side of my body was blood soaked from the top of my head down into my shoes for 150 stitches worth of damage. jeff and pete were heaped on the grass like corpses, and the driver of the car, with a bloody head, sat in miserable silence, shocked by guilt.

guess what officer friendly did?

heres a multiple choice:

officer friendly...

A) ...immediately ran back to his cruiser summoned an ambulance.

B) ...assured us help was on the way, immediately ran back to his cruiser, and summoned an ambulance.

C) ...assured us help was on the way, immediately ran back to his cruiser, summoned an ambulance, and returned to give compassionate aid and support for a group of suffering human beings.

D) ...acted like a foul pig, assumed that we were drinking and driving (we were clean and sober), and decided to teach us a lesson by explaining in clear overlord-like terms "this is what you deserve." officer friendly then went on to ask a bunch of questions that would make his life easier when he had to fill out paperwork. he demanded that we tell him where we were coming from, who was driving, where was the car, how old were we, where we were going, how much we had to drink. during all of this time, jeff is coughing up chunks of red from his collapsed lung, pete has passed out, and chris and i are answering the cops questions. with each answer we returned a simple question of our own: "have you called an ambulance yet?" the foul pig said "no" and then said he wasnt going to until we "answered all of his questions." at that moment i entered the lowest point in all of my experience with so-called humanity.

the answer is, of course, "D." the only thing that saved my friends lives that night was the fact that the foul pig had radioed for backup. an older cop arrived on the scene just as all my adreneline, the stuff that had allowed me to perform the superhuman feat of walking and talking, wore off. i stumbled up to the old cop as he got out of his car and i fell to my knees. i have no shame in admitting that i cried and begged for mercy. literally, i begged on my knees, bawling like a little boy, and asked this RI state trooper to please call an ambulance. he looked at me, my blood gushing and my shoulder twisted so far in front of me that i could see my own back, and asked the foul pig "have you called it in yet?"

when the foul pig starts trying to explain himself by telling the older guy that we were to blame for not answering his questions fast enough, the old guy shot him a look of true contempt. he then mercifully ran back to his cruiser to summon the bone boxes, and effectively saved our lives. whereas the foul pig was, in my opinion, truely hoping for us to die.

sorry to be so macabre. i just occasionally get moved to tell this story so i can explain just what the definition of a pig really is. not all cops are pigs, but some human beings can be so foul that it boggles the mind.

let me also sum it up by saying that jeff is now happily married with a child on the way and, though he had a couple of seizures related to the accident, is, like the rest of us, doing just fine. pete got reconstructive surgery that put his arm back to normal and is now making a living as a gutarist in a folk band. chris and the driver slowly, but eventually, recovered from their shock. and i-- well, i learned that life is very precious.

i live every day as if it is my last. who knows, i could get killed ten minutes after writing this post. in the 10 years since the accident, i have done so much living that if i died today, i would die smiling. i have alot of wonderful people to thank for making my life great, including you guys, the party people, who know that PEACE, LOVE, UNITY, & RESPECT make it so easy to have fun.

carpe dium.

with P, L, & R,

-sirdante

------------------

i love music!

[This message has been edited by sirdante (edited 09-22-2000).]

Originally posted by funkysoulbro:

Dude, this story hits close to me...read my last post...I almost got arrested in Providence yesterday...Those cops are fuckin awful!!! Glad to hear that everybody turned out ok.

thanks. it was ur post that got me thinking about it.

Originally posted by gabrielll:

True...

You should be a writer or something, going to school in RI before I could picture the scene exactly.

thanks. i always wanted to be a writer. i made it as far as editor of my college newspaper, but have never published anything for $.

------------------

i love music!

That is an amazing story. It is tragic to think that there are people like that out there. I find myself many times having conversations about people who do nasty things for no reason and when I ask why, the answer is always the same "because they can." It's unfortunate that we come from a species that is so hooked on power that they will stop at nothing to exert it and prove their "strength" for no reason all except their own selfish ego. You see it everyday from the smallest incidents such as someone not letting you merge into a lane of traffic to the ultimate abuses of power the likes of which you experienced.

Needless to say I am glad to hear that you are all OK but sorry that you had to witness one of the human races greatest faults in such a gruesome manner.

------------------

blultbar.gif

disco_anim_bf16.gif A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to it's old dimensions.

One of the last few times that I was out in RI, I was involved in a traffic accident too. In some merge, this cracked out bitch thought that she would pass me on the right in her little Huyndai. She missed and caught the front bumper on the Chevy Suburban. It tore the rear quarter open on her car and just bent my bumper.

She pulled over to the !?!left?!? shoulder, and stopped. I got on the cell phone and called the cops. The woman was ready to take off. I stood in front of her car telling her to stop.

I heard the sirens of the approacing car as she jerked forward enough to bump into me hard enough for me to fall onto her hood. I managed to land on her windshield with my elbow. It was a good enough hit to shatter the windshield right in front of her.

The cops took her out of the car, she cursed a blue streak at the cops, she got some tickets, I got told to not stand in front of the other car and to get on my way. It was just before 11pm - shift change too.

JDogg

------------------

I stopped at a Sbarro and asked for an espresso.

The bright light working there said "Sorry we only

have Cheese and Pepperoni."

Originally posted by gabrielll:

Dude that shit was waaaaayyyyy too dark for a sunny friday afternoon. Trajic story, and I'm glad you lived but uuuuhhhh. Whats your real name Stephen King, no insults intended, uuuhhhh.

just trying to fill my role as the high priest of the party. that was my sermon for this weekend.

it had a happy ending didnt it? maybe i shoulda put a warning at the beginning. sorry, i didnt mean to bum anyone out, i hope it has the opposite effect. i want everyone to learn what i learned without having to go thru what i went thru.

------------------

i love music!