Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Free Party Culture

So, it's hard for me to tell where everyone is in their heads, or what a rave is even considered these days, but I'm frightened when i see how acceptable 35$ club prices are, just so that you can dance yer ass off all night. nothing makes me smile more than dancing till dawn & beyond, but i believe in doing it for cheap or free. If we accept these prices, and do nothing to change the party scene, it'll keep going on, & on. I'm urging you to throw your first party for $5, promote the fuck out of it w/ lil' blk & wht flyers that cost next to nothing, and then dump the money back into the next party. Buy a sound system, and turntables. invite dope underground dj's who don't care about money. The party revolution has begun. USA is way behind in free festival culture. the only reason we are is because we accept what shouldn't be. YOU CAN CHANGE THAT! really you can. look what I found: http://havocsound.cjb.net http://come.to/teknode-usa

yeah you are totally right. the money it costs to go to clubs today is symptomatic of a larger attitude in electronic music culture. people think they can buy their way into the scene and once enough people feel that way, the scene starts to orbit around the dollar-dollar bill.

go out and get yourself some nice trainers and shiny pants, neck $60 worth of drugs, pay $35 to get into the club and hey-presto you're a real clubber.

i think free parties are where it's at because there's more free exchange and free speech. there's no cookie cutter identity to be bought. nobody's trying to be more club, more rave, more whatever than anyone else. we're all in it together people so feel the vibe and smile at each other not just cause you're rolling your tits off but cause you're all dancing to the same beat.

------------------

beatpusher.com (techno house trance events)

I feel what your saying!!! When Twilo went up to 35 for S&D nights, we wanted to fucking protest!! I remember the first rave I went to back in 94 "Peghesis" in Yonkers (anyone remember that one?) that shit was $5 and it was totally underground warehouse style. It was awesome!!! It makes you wonder about these highschoolers, they don't have any money how the hell can they afford to go clubbing every weekend? I hate to say it this is something that realistically might never change.

Hey everyone, this was for the first time in a while a pretty decent topic!!! Why is it that you guys only reply to the stupid shit? I thought this site was for clubbers and people into the scene, but all I see is people talking about who's hot and who's an asshole and all other totally irrelavent crap. Can we talk about DJ's and music a bit or what? Sorry I sound so hostile, I guess this had been in me for a while.

word up flithy_Slag!

you just hit the nail on the head.

the reason that underground shit is not happening here is space. well, space combined with snobbery. you could throw a phat underground jammy-jam out in jersey or queens but who from NY would come? plus, you can't have a decent party at home cause everyone has neighbors. you're driven out into the clubs and bars and then everything revolves around the bottom line.

i belong to a group of dj's and we've been struggling with this problem for a year with no solution yet. it seems like without the space, your party is always gonna be on someone else's terms.

------------------

beatpusher.com (techno house trance events)

i'm definitely pro the free-party angle. it is ridiculous how much the clubs charge when there are amazing djs around who will play to pass on the good vibe. i've held a couple of parties and hope to do more in the future. previously i used to foot the bill myself but last one i broke even by charging $5. looking forward to more events this year + i want to hear about more events like this.

i was really interested to hear about chris liberator being into the free party scene in london - they used to hold parties in abandoned warehouses etc and would only get paid if they covered costs - don't know where we could manage that in nyc.

------------------

* i love sex always and forever *

and they tell me that women grow on trees

and if you catch them right they will land upon their knees