Clubplanet Nightlife Community

sound insulation - any experience?

thanks for all the advice. ancientskewl, here's some more info for you:

1. loft apartment

2. yes own it

3. no windows or openings in the shared wall

4. wall is sheetrock 3.5" gap with fiberglass insulation. wall is 34' x 12' high.

i'm guess that sonex, etc,. will work well, but i would rather the wall look normal, rather than be covered with egg crates. i was thinking more along the lines of replacing fiberglass with better insulation, or building another wall in front, but i'm worried that, as ancientskewl says, the floor may be the main problem.

i've tried putting the sub on a (small) foam pad...didn't seem to make much difference.

thanks.

------------------

regular and precise practice develops the body, disciplines the mind and widens the horizons of the spirit. one becomes balanced and self-reliant in pain and pleasure, loss and gain, shame and fame, defeat and victory.

man, it sucks when the neighbors complain but i guess if they have reason to....my neighbor was complaining every time i played a cd on my computer b/c of the bass......now i have a new stereo with a bottom firing sub-woofer (this dude lives under me) and i'm afraid to even play the damn thing b/c he complains about everything, from the vacuum cleaner to how many times we flush the toilet.....anyway, i stuck this two-inch thick piece of corrugated card board under the subwoofer and he hasn't said anything yet, but i haven't cranked it yet frown.gif.....good luck with the neighbor!!!

------------------

jumpdei.gif Boink like a snow bunny!!!

uknj@aol.com

thanks...actually the guy is super-nice and very mellow about the whole thing. turns out that the guy who lived in my apartment before used to complain constantly about *his* music. i just hate to worry about pissing him off every time i put on the jeff mills...

------------------

be here now.

Yeah Guys…the floor’s probably going to kill you unless it’s made of a dense material like concrete which is probably unlikely. You can condition all the walls and even the ceiling, but if you have a standard wooden/hardwood floor, it’s going to vibrate and transmit the sounds to your neighbor. What they’ll hear can be greatly reduced but they’ll still hear/feel it as long as there’s a connection.

I found a publication/booklet a while ago which might help you. At your request I can snail mail it to you (no charge of course). A lot of the techniques I know are used for Recording Studio applications but the booklet does describe some less expensive techniques which might help you out.

Later

cwm15.gif

------------------

"Those who know, don't tell. Those who tell, don't know."

My friend is having noise complaints from his neighbour so they are having discussions about splitting the cost of adding sound insulation to their shared wall.

Has anyone had any experience of this, and how effective it is at damping down sound volumes? Especially the pounding bass from his 1.1Kw subwoofer.

cheers

------------------

* i love sex always and forever *

and they tell me that women grow on trees

and if you catch them right they will land upon their knees

LOL, shit a 1K sub.... you beter get the structural integraty checked as well..

Yeh it works pretty well, they just spray a foam in through holes in your wall. It's what they use in studio's so should be ok.

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

I can STILL resist ANYTHING but temptation.

bsb2.GIF

Not enough information Bro...

cwm6.gif

1) house, apartment, dorm?

2) do you own it?

3) windows?

4) materials the walls/ceiling/floor made of?

joeydollaz hit it on the head, eggcrates will do the trick (a little) inexpensively. Got more money:

Use Sonex.

If your'e planning on insulating the wall then do it correctly: Build an insulated wall in front of the existing wall and make sure they don't touch.

Nothing will work as long as there's windows, and you're sharing the "floor" with your neighbor, i.e., the two biggest problems are air and the fact that the rooms are connected in some way (if they share the floor, ceiling, or wall; then the vibrations will transmit).

Consider heavy carpeting, Heavy Drapes, and speaker placement.

All this will cut down on most frequencies, but will not elliminate the problem unless the room can be COMPLETELY isolated.

cwm15.gif

------------------

"Those who know, don't tell. Those who tell, don't know."

My best experience in damping bass sounds has been physical isolation. I've found that conduction into floors and walls can be minimised by removing the physical contact. I used to have to hang my speakers by wire from the ceilings. This has very little effect on the sound quality but hugely reduces what your neighbors will here.

It's the cheapest first step. Dunno how you'd hang a sub, but you can try spacing it away from the walls, and raise it off the floor on foam perhaps. If it's bottom firing, you may be in deep.

anyway, that's all I can offer.

Bro I hear you, I have 2 15 inch bottoms+horns which crank out 1,300 watts, i have a 5 speaker system which supports that, and an extra sub which i usually keep off though...I live in an apartment building and my neighbor does fucked up things like put the trash can in front of my door from the laundry room, 1 time they poured detergent all over my door, i can't strike back cause i dont know who it is...I had a complaint once from 3 floors above me...the only time i can really crank it is, on NYE which the last 2 years I've rattled the building, LMAO...

------------------

I OWN DJ MIKE DR

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one." Louis Armstrong

tit.gif

FeelTheseBeats@aol.com

www.thekopproject.com

at lunch yesterday we were talkin about sound proofing and what not ... supposedly is really reallly expensive ...

we were talkin bout build a sound proof studio and the is supposed to cost about 10gs just in constructiona nd soundproofing alone ..

------------------

header_mockup_r1_c3.gif