Clubplanet Nightlife Community

!!!!!Please STOP the IBM pop-up ads!!!!!

toxic

I have no problem with targeted ads. However they do NOT need to be pop-up windows with Flash. Believe me I know how interent advertising works, I have only been doing to for 4+ years.

Maybe you should email me and I can give the info for a great discussion group of interent advertising. They talk about ads like this all the time. And most always say do not do it unless you are a site that streams video or something.

Originally posted by andrew:

Come on... these are ads by IBM targeted to clubplanet, just help support us and click the darn thing.

------------------

Dave H.

Toxic Productions

<piercing sarcasm>

Oh, I see.

Mr. Toxic can clutter up our bandwidth with countless advertisements for his various promotions... but one little IBM ad and he's up in arms.

sheesh

</piercing sarcasm>

smile.gif

------------------

Voted one of the top 3 dj's - Clubplanet Awards 2001

[This message has been edited by spoonyd (edited 01-18-2001).]

Yes, we do need to keep the ads to keep the board running.

As for the pop-up ads, they are designed to only appear 1 every 20 minutes and no more than 2 a day per person on the site. I believe this is as long as you have the same browser window open.

If you see more than this, let me know and I will note it to our ad agency.

I have no idea why they would crash someone's PC. Anyone else with that problem?

Thanks for the support.

I havent closed my browser window yet, and the ad has popped up 8 times withing the last 15 mins. I don't mind clicking on them each time, but its not going to bring in any extra money. Since they already dropped that cookie on to my hd.

------------------

~*P*L*U*R*~

Four Simple Words To Live By....

ketamine.jpg

exactly

------------------

"Because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing but BURN, BURN, BURN." - Jack Kerouac

Okay, I'll turn the ads off. Gosh, this website is so easy to hack...

Seriously, though, I wouldn't mind the ads so much, but they don't seem particularly well targeted toward a young clubbing audience. I mean, they're for developer software, right? Are there a lot of programmers on this board?

--David Christopher

------------------

Get into Cheetah for only $5! Visit www.headrushmusic.com for more details.

Original beats: Visit www.mp3.com/headrushmusic to hear my tracks.

Pooter's Trance Shack and Moonshine Distillery: The fattest radio station on the web is at www.mp3.com/stations/pooter and we're open to your submissions!

Originally posted by DaVe:

Yes, we do need to keep the ads to keep the board running.

As for the pop-up ads, they are designed to only appear 1 every 20 minutes and no more than 2 a day per person on the site. I believe this is as long as you have the same browser window open.

Nope, hits me every time I refresh the page for whichever topic, and usually every 3rd/4th thread I click on.

If you see more than this, let me know and I will note it to our ad agency.

I have no idea why they would crash someone's PC. Anyone else with that problem?

Thanks for the support.

Yep. Have an old 233 on a dialup upstate. The first two times the ad comes up, it loads. 3rd time, I have to C-A-D to kill it as it doesn't load. 4th time, the computer hangs. That's a prob with my antique, I know, and not the site, but since it has started happening I now sometimes do not get my com port back on a reboot. 4 years, never had this prob. IBM ad, now i've got it. Doesn't happen @ work or in manhattan (cable modem) though.

ichi

------------------

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

[This message has been edited by ichi_gami (edited 01-18-2001).]

The difference is I do not have a problem with bandwidth in regards to the IBM ad. I have a cable modem and DSL line. If my ads crashed your browser then I could see you comment smile.gif

Originally posted by spoonyd:

<piercing sarcasm>

Oh, I see.

Mr. Toxic can clutter up our bandwidth with countless advertisements for his various promotions... but one little IBM ad and he's up in arms.

sheesh

</piercing sarcasm>

smile.gif

------------------

Dave H.

Toxic Productions

thank god for cable, and a half-decent computer, i can just click'em away.

now i'm thinking about using my network security program to reject cookies from IBM's adservers AND prevent my browser from spawning unwanted windows. as much as i really like this board, i hated the Finlandia pop-up, i hate the IBM one more.. it's invasion of my privacy as far as i'm concerned.. unsolicited advertising is plain annoying-as-fuck and currently just a loophole in the legal system. when they fix it, i'll be a happy camper.

why do you think many free internet services (read my lips "yahoo!") are posting revised earnings estimates? ad-revenues are dropping like flies. i find that net advertising is not only intrusive but also creates negative attitude towards the product. now advertising old school might say "there's no good or bad advertising.. there's just advertising" well that really doesn't apply as much as it used to, especially not on consumer goods (unlike celebrities who thrive on any kind of publicity). trust me when i say that even if i were in a server buying position, i'd think twice just considering their desperate method of advertising, and even perhaps look into Dell or Compaq.

in short, i dislike programs that do shit without my consent, in this case, open new little browser windows. i see a lot of space on the margins on clubplanet, perhaps the use of those would be a nicer way to advertise.

of course that's just my opinion, i may be wrong..

morph_

cwm13.gif

[This message has been edited by morpheusnyc (edited 01-19-2001).]

at the risk of sounding like an ass:

sorry toxic but for someone who does internet advertising, you surely couldn't have misspelled internet TWICE as interent, right? i'm just going blind or something..

smile.gif

morph_

Originally posted by toxic:

I have no problem with targeted ads. However they do NOT need to be pop-up windows with Flash. Believe me I know how interent advertising works, I have only been doing to for 4+ years.

Maybe you should email me and I can give the info for a great discussion group of interent advertising. They talk about ads like this all the time. And most always say do not do it unless you are a site that streams video or something.