Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The end of the Rave Scene in Toronto

Last Saturday, one of Toronto's preeminant Rave Companies, Hullabaloo, a party that concentrates on Happy Hardcore, jungle, and other similar styles of music, had a stabbing and a 20 yr old student was killed. This is the second death to happen at a Hullabaloo rave (the first being by overdose). This could very likely spell the end of one of North America's most vibrant scenes.

Toronto's rave companies have come under intense scrutiny over the last year, narrowly escaping an outright ban, but I personally think it will be hard for them to survive the pressure from the city after this. If anything it is almost certainly the end of Hullabaloo.

This is sad, but I think inevitable.

This is the kind of news coverage the stabbing received:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Student stabbed to death during rave at the Docks

JOHN SAUNDERS

Monday, February 5, 2001

A 20-year-old college student was stabbed to death early yesterday during a rave called Rhythm of Life at the Docks, one of Canada's biggest and loudest clubs, in Toronto's port area.

Police said it was not clear what led to the killing of Salim Jabaji, a Hamilton resident studying at the Niagara College of Applied Arts and Technology. There was "an altercation with some other gentleman," Detective Sergeant Mike Davis said, "and he got stabbed." No immediate arrest was made.

Police estimated that 1,000 to 2,000 people were in the club, which had been rented for a $30-a-ticket, all-night dance party promoted by a Toronto-based firm, Hullabaloo. It featured disc jockeys on two dance floors playing music in styles labelled happy hardcore, jungle, trance, hard house and nu-nrg.

The dancers "had a bunch of pacifiers in their mouths," Det. Sgt. Davis said. "Whether that tells you something, I have no idea."

In October, police laid drug-related charges against 11 people after seizing such drugs as ecstasy, methamphetamines and marijuana at a Hullabaloo rave at the Docks. Ecstasy users sometimes suck on oversized baby soothers to help ease jaw clenching and teeth grinding associated with the drug.

Docks rave death probed

Police sift clues in nightclub stabbing of man

Sonia Verma and Harold Levy

STAFF REPORTERS

When it was all over, Salim Jabaji's body lay motionless, half-hidden behind the bar on the concrete, garbage-strewn floor of The Docks nightclub.

It was about 12:30 a.m. yesterday. The 20-year-old Niagara Falls man had been stabbed by another man during an all night rave.

At the time of the stabbing, nearly 2,000 people filled three rooms of the cavernous building on Polson St., dancing to the throbbing beat of techno music.

The lights went on as security guards combed the crowd for suspects and the DJ instructed the crowd to move from the bar area into the adjoining room, where the party continued.

Jabaji was taken by ambulance to St. Michael's Hospital, where he died several hours later.

``It was chaos,'' said 20-year-old William Wills, who was at the Saturday night rave. ``It was so crowded and confusing after the stabbing, it took me 10 minutes to move five feet,'' he said.

``That's the last rave I'll ever go to. I was shocked by what happened,'' he added.

Toronto police are still trying to piece together what happened. Yesterday, forensic investigators were combing the deserted building looking for clues.

Homicide Detective Steve Bell said late yesterday the investigation could be lengthy because ``it's a very large scene,'' and he was still waiting for preliminary autopsy results.

Bell would not say whether police had any suspects. He is asking for assistance from anyone at the party ``who may have witnessed the murder take place.''

Roughly 40 security guards were on the scene, according to Shawn Parsons, spokesperson for High Profile Securities, which patrolled the event.

``There was not a person who entered without being searched,'' Parsons said. Two people were apprehended and later released by his security team, he said.

The rave was promoted by well-known Toronto DJ and Hullabaloo rave promoter Chris Samojlenko, also known as Anabolic Frolic.

Samojlenko also promoted the rave where Ryerson student Allen Ho died when he overdosed on ecstasy on Oct. 10, 1999. Ho's death sparked a coroner's inquest where Samojlenko testified.

Samojlenko, who could not be reached for comment, is also one of the founding members of the Toronto Dance Safety Committee which includes ravers, police, public health and city officials.

Although the committee hasn't met for several months, it devised a 14-point rave protocol ratified on a trial basis by city council that called for fire and building code requirements, density security guidelines, ambulance staff, sufficient lighting, water, ventilation, drug education and the use of pay duty police officers at raves.

Gerry Sprackman, owner of The Docks could not be reached for comment.

thats terrible Dean. Now who is to blame for this situation, the individual who did it or the whole RAVE scene. Hmmmmm, sounds very familiar like a somewhat "music" related incident that happened in NY where violence occured outside a club where hip-hop was playing that night. DO we blame the scene in this case (@ the rave) also...Inquiring minds want to know. Also will people be scared to go to a rave in Toronto b/c of this incident (if they are allowed to continue)...doubt it.

-Jamms

------------------

AIM: ynicholas face50.gif

I have been to Hullaballoo parties before and never has there been a time that something devastating has not happened. Hullabaloo parties are based on Happy hardcore but they have other styles of music as well. DJ Anabolic Frolic it the man responsible for HUllabaloo and has been struggling to keep these parties going for quite some time now. Although I'm not big into HH the parties are like no other as far as energy and positive vibes go. Candy kids really do have smiles on their faces all the time weather it be the amazing drugs Canada has (for a fraction of the price) or their complete and total love of the scene where you can escape and be an equal for a night! Unfortunately these parties are some of the most cracked out parties I have been to as well and a lot of bad things have happened. They also tend to be in clubs that attract some scetchy people. The Docks is in the middle of nowhere and kinda shady. Its a shame that Anabolic Frolic has to deal with all of this again. I hope the scene does not go under considering Toronto has one of the best party vibes ever!!

------------------

piss.gif

The rave scene isn't to blame per-se, but that doesn't matter. The police and city council have very itchy trigger fingers when it comes to this topic. After a great deal of debate, they decided to leave things be and let the fun continue, and look what happened.

They won't let it happen again.

About who's fault though, well, Toronto has a really YOUNG scene and that scares a lot of people. Add to that, they're not a real responsible bunch, and the drugs are way out of control. They are at fault because they have let things get that way.

Everyone is to blame. There needs to be a check - and now I think it will come.

and to give props where they are deserved:

Hullabaloo parties are probably unmatched for capturing the true Rave experience. They still stand out as the best times I've ever had. The memory of walking into an old bingo hall and seeing 5000 kids jumping around to happy hardcore... there's hardly words to describe.

cwm36.gif

*sniff*

It is crazy how the rave scene is/has been treated in Canada (esp. Toronto) with regards to trying to make the scene illegal, not supplying emergency services and generally a lack of suffecient security. The security checks going into these events are not thorough enough. They pat your chest and pat your pockets very quickly and send you in. Everything from knives to guns get smuggled into these events in various ways (ie: side door entries, taped to butts, etc.). I haven't been to an event like this in a long time because of the fact that security sucks and you are constantly looking over your shoulder to make sure you are not next in line for a random stabbing or shooting. It seems that alot of the times that an event like this is on in Toronto, there is a news story the next day about someone dying at the hand of another. Maybe things have changed since I last went......but the newspapers seem to be telling me otherwise. It isn't fun to wake up on Sunday morning to hear about some kid getting shot all of 5 minutes from my home.....

Or better yet 3 guys getting shot point blank in the face at a club a very short block away from place (because the bouncer wouldn't let them into the club). The club scene in general is kind of fucked up in Toronto. At least once a month someone is stabbed, shot at point blank or have the shit beat out of them....and this is INSIDE and OUTSIDE of the clubs. Due to a lack of security (of course among other reasons) or security just not giving a shit. I know we all hate having some bouncer feel our butts and stuff....but I would prefer they did that than me getting caught in some cross fire.....'cause that just simply is not fun.

Only my opinion!!!

cwm7.gifcwm7.gifcwm7.gif

------------------

1006.gif