Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Cox Speaks....

crommy

For those of you hitting the one-two punch of DT and CC Sunday, hear's a little taste of Coxy courtesy of Papermag:

PAPERMAG: What does it feel like to look out and see thousands of people dancing, arms in the air, eyes closed, escaping the real world and entering one that you orchestrate for them?

Carl Cox: Amazing! It's hard to describe how it feels to have people going crazy and getting involved in my sets. I think it's a two-way situation. They enjoy the music I play while their appreciation of me keeps me going. As long as they're happy I'm happy.

PAPERMAG: How did you feel when Twilo asked you to spin with Danny Tenaglia?

CC: Danny and I have been DJing with each other internationally on a regular basis for the past couple of years. He's an inspiration to me and I think we work well together. The night will be more about the pair of us coming together, having fun and kicking ass. I truly can't wait. I'm very excited.

PAPERMAG: Your sets are amazing in that they take each listener on a musical journey. Do you plan the progression of your set, or do you simply spin tracks based off the vibe you get from the crowd?

CC: It's a DJ's job to spin to the vibe of the crowd. There is continuous communication between a DJ and his or her audience. You feel it when they love a particular way you're playing or a certain style you're moving toward, the same way you feel it when something's not going to work. It's all about pushing boundaries.

PAPERMAG: Do you think that the rave and club crowds are different from one another? If so, does this difference help define the set you are going to spin?

CC: The line-ups at raves are far bigger than those of any club, and because of this each DJ is normally confined to perform within a one to two hour time slot. Personally, I prefer to DJ for a minimum of four hours, which means I've got to work harder. More recently I've been playing clubs from beginning to end. This way I feel that I have complete musical control over the night, from funk to soul, house to techno, and anything else that I choose to throw in between. It works well. At bigger events, you don't get the opportunity. It's like, "next!", which is very impersonal.

PAPERMAG: The New York club scene is vastly different from the more mainstream ones in Europe. Do you feel that this showcase of talent will ever reach the level of exposure that it has in Europe [when compared to the success of nightclubs like Ministry of Sound, Cream, and Love Parade]?

CC: Twilo has to be one of the best clubs in the world. You can't compare it to the likes of Cream or the Ministry of Sound because it's in a league of its own. Although the European clubs are probably more recognized on an international scale, Twilo has kept itself true. Its nights are cutting edge, new, underground and exciting. Mike Bindra at Twilo has worked so hard to put this club where it is today. On the other hand Ministry of Sound was a good club in its day but capitalized on its exposure. Now look at it! It's struggling to keep its head above water.

PAPERMAG: Are you working on any future projects?

CC: I'm busy in the studio putting together my third album, re-mixing and co-producing tracks with Josh Wink and Christian Smith, among others.

PAPERMAG: One last question. Could you possibly spin a drum 'n' bass track on Sunday?

CC: I do throw in various drum 'n' bass tracks in my sets. At the moment, DJ Zinc (UK) is doing some great stuff, which crosses over nicely into some of my sets.

Carl Cox's Scratch Pack:

1 Unknown - "Wacked Out Motherfucker"

2 Phats & Small - "Respect the Cock"

3 Jeff Mills - "Time Machine"

4 Ben Simms - "Reminipulator"

5 PQM - "The Flying Song"

6 Oxia - All Tracks

7 Ignition Technician - "Crazy Ladies"

8 John Thomas - "Undisputed Life"

9 Planets in Transit - "Kick 105"

10 Brother to Brother - "I Need a House"