Clubplanet Nightlife Community

MY HERO...

"Thursday in the city and the people are dancing on the speakers like there's no tomorrow. But there is a tomorrow. And it,s getting closer all the time.

Looking at the packed bar and the raised arms though, it appears most people have chosen to tough it out and face the music now rather than later.

The genre-blurring sublime deep trance and progressive house breaks into a live set by The Light and then, with a swirl of dried ice, swoops back into Nick Warren, who busts out Underworld's 'Eraser of Love'. More arms punch the air.

Promoter and resident John Digweed is standing on the balcony, almost glowing with pride. "You just don't hear this sort of noise from London crowds," he beams, surveying the packed dancefloor. He has reason to look chuffed. Bedrock has come a long way since it's beginnings in a humble basement club in Hastings eight years ago.

The club really found its feet when Sasha visited, at the height of his fame in ' 92. John Digweed, who had just been snapped up as Renaissance's resident, brought the DJ hero down to grimy Hastings as a thank you to his home crowd. And now, as a thank you, a payback to the people that support him and the progressive trance sound, Digweed has given Bedrock a permanent London home. And John is still as unassuming and ego free as he was from day one.

"I'm not making any money out of tonight, a lot of the Dj's play as a favour. And where else can you see three top Dj's for a fiver?" he asks, handing out free drinks tickets to anyone who flashes a convincing smile. With Digweed's knowledge of clubbing around the world, coupled with the Dj's quality, boundary-shaking music and an unbeatable atmosphere, Bedrock is set to become a London institution. Digweed is rockin' in Heaven.

Regular's verdict:

"It's better than most clubs on a Saturday night in London. I've been to all the Bedrocks here so far, and I've just gone mad all night. The tunes are fantastic, really different from what you'd normally here around. The crowd really get into it and dance, which isn't what you'd expect in London either.

Sasha and Paul Van Dyk were brilliant down here and John Digweed is my hero. I just can't fault it. Do I have to get up in the morning? Yeah, at 7.30am - three of my group are chucking a sicky tomorrow." STEVE 24 LONDON.

- Julian Rolfe and Amanda Cook

RESPECT...

------------------

chronic is the answer...

'A heaving dancefloor inside; queues round the block and snaking up the road to Charing Cross outside - at 22.30 on a freezing thursday night.

It can mean only one thing - the return of the awesome Bedrock to Heaven in London. Even seasoned veterans from the music industry are stunned. "Did you see that queue? Amazing!" says Paul from Power Promotions; "I thought we'd never get in with that queue!" says Andy from VC Recordings. It proves once again, that the two Djs who are headlining tonight are a phenomenon. How many bands could pack in this many people midweek? They are DJ stars with their own distinctive sound and a very loyal following. Their names, in case you haven't guessed - ladies and gentlemen - Sasha and John Digweed.'

------------------

chronic is the answer...

The steam rose from the dancefloor and hung in the lasers like a shroud. Jimmy Van Malleghem - straight outta Twilo's NYC, brought up the cross-fader and the double kick-drum hit the crowd like a shot of adrenalin. As one they clapped and cheered. I looked at my watch - christ. 11.30 midweek - AND IN LONDON !!! Never in a decade of clubbing had I witnessed such pre-midnight euphoria outside of daytime sessions in Space, Ibiza and New Years Eve of course (which doesn't really count - you could put John Prescott behind the decks and they'd still dance. One day I'm sure The Ministry will...).

'Hybrid' hit the main stage and all hell breaks loose. Usually live acts are castigated for disrupting the flow - this lot merely enhanced it. For half-an-hour they built and built, with massive broken beats and soaring strings . A walk upstairs reveals broken-beat afficianado's a­skanking and a-sweating to Adam Freeland & co.

Into the more intimate Dakota bar and Ashley Casselle holds sway - whilst outside the nuclear boom! boom! boom! of Sasha's opening salvo vibrates the entire room. The newly installed lights and special fx throw a million multicoloured shadows a minute across the dancefloor. Then the laser peppers everyone with atomic sized drops of light. Mouths are agog and eyes widen to catch the rainbow shower. Upstairs in the console Sasha calmly chooses another record. He's the only one who isn't sweating - the bastard. Then it's change-over time and it's Diggers turn to entertain. The floor responds with a cheer as they spot their host. On and on he drives them, up and down and round and round; living their lives underneath the ground...

Until 3am arrives and drained we leave. See you next month, then...?

------------------

chronic is the answer...

p00h, I tell you, you've got to go to experience it. but instead I'm taking you to the Gatecrasher bash in the UK on 13th April. keep it free, you'll be flying out of JFK on thurs. 12th sometime in the evening.

just to say thanks for everything you did for us this weekend.

love & hugs

Dirty

shut up. tell freddie i'll get his camera on friday. i can't believe you fools left so early. party hadn't even begun yet. hope you atleast got a good shag out of it! cwm35.gif dc crew is weak, hella weak. yall should hang out with the cazz crew more often...

i'll give you a buzz tommorow...

laters love...

------------------

chronic is the answer...

Originally posted by p00h:

shut up. tell freddie i'll get his camera on friday. i can't believe you fools left so early. party hadn't even begun yet. hope you atleast got a good shag out of it! cwm35.gif dc crew is weak, hella weak. yall should hang out with the cazz crew more often...

i'll give you a buzz tommorow...

laters love...

for your information, flakey mates left at 8:30 but we were there until 1pm completely mindfucked by Danny. I was dancing downstairs at 10am, utterly speechless at the true genius of the man - couldn't find you in the crowds though. we were right under the farting discoball.

anyway, I mean it about Gatecrasher. want to come or not???????????