Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Death of Music in NYC

OK this is my first post but i gota vent on something that has been burning for a while. There is something seriously wrong in NYC these days that is hurting our music scean. The promotions game. There was a time when DJ's got booked because they were good, they were hired to make the music, not "bring heads" Today im sory to sad but that has gone to the wayside so promoters can get lazy and cheape and instead of "being promoters" they will only book DJ's that are poor quality with lots of friends. These kids are basicaly "buying" their way, with promises of 50 heads on their <A HREF="http://www.clubplanet.com/guestlists/" TARGET="_blank"> guestlist</A> . Meanwhile i listened and they couldn't match beats, they didnt even try they just mixed the trance in the airspace. Forget about even paying attention to harmonics. This isn't just small room DJ's im talking mainfloor too. NYC needs to start cutting back the promoters and start hiring the REAL tallent, because there is some out there that can do more than play a bunch of kazoo music and "slamming beats". While we flock to twilo on fridays to hear deep smooth mixes and nice seet programing, believe it or not NYC doesn't have to import that kind of show. Notice all the clubs with actualy tallent have little promotions? the Small number of promoters who work there work close with the management and make sure the music is good, they work hard to bring in people and let the DJ's be DJ's.

[This message has been edited by djcritic (edited 04-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by djcritic (edited 04-01-2001).]

Originally posted by innuend0:

Please don't forget to include the inflating entry costs to attend these venues.

I think that is due to the "too many promoters" phenomina, think about it, a place can only hold so many people so if suddenly you have 2x the number of people being wana-bee promoters and expecting 5$ a head the clubs gota jack prices up. Clubs should just tell promoters if they can pull in 200 people they have no job or something to that affect. And get all the cheezy kazoo playing "slammin beat" dj's outa the booths just because they promise some bigger promoter 50 or 80 heads. start hiring the kid that spends all his spare time at home by himself mixing, cuz in the end, the party will be better.