Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Mini disks (who's using them?)

I just read a great article in Mc2 (yea, yea..i've been posting most of my shit today from that zeen..what can I say I'm easily influenced)

It was all about Mini disks and what kinds are great yada yada..kinda made me do a double take at my clunky CD player.

I almost ran out and bought one emiadetly until I stoped and thought of this scenerio:

I get to Virgin, listen to a killer Cd and then buy it! I cant wait to hear it! I reach into my bag and pull out my...

..........MD player?

Shit! Now I have to wait till I get home to listen to it.

Sorry guys..until mini disks invade the market I'm sticking to my big ol eight track tape deck..I mean..Cd player!

Any one wanna tell me why they think I'm wrong? Why are mini disks all the rage? Is it the quality or just the size?

------------------

Mugwumpeyes02.jpg

"Cartoons are the real deal. I think humans are the FAKES!"

My roommate has a minidisc player and he has a few problems with it. I'm going to wait for MP3 players to come down in price and increase in capacity. Although that wont solve your Virgin CD problem. Maybe someday you can walk into Virgin, plug in your digital player, pay a fee and have the latest music downloaded into it.... OH wait, thats Napster.

I got kicked off ethernet again at school for downloading 750mb in 24 hrs. Second time already... last week got kicked for 1.5gb in 24hrs. Those bastards dont understand the power of trance.

------------------

"1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21 ....Mathematics is the language of nature" --BT

AIM: teklord310

Guest danwang

MD's are great for making your own recordings. Anything you can do with regular tapes you can do better with MD. Smaller size (player and media), better sound quality, ability to skip through different sections, ability to edit (split up/delete/move tracks) after the original recording, longer (if you record in mono - up to 160 minutes).

And the advantage over CD's is that you can re-record onto the same disk and add (and view on pretty much any player) info about the tracks on it.

I like using it for making recordings (and masters to later burn onto CD) of my DJ mixes and live sets (for me go "Yuck" over later smile.gif ). As far as portables go, it seems to be the best thing short of getting a $700 DAT recorder.

If you get a deck with MDLP, you can record up to 5.5 hours on one disk (that can hold 80 minutes in standard stereo). I got a digital timer so that I could record KTU Saturday night mix shows when I'm out, away, or sleeping (one of three is almost always the case for me). Call me cheesy, but I mainly want to catch Level 4 and 5, and I do like the bit of Skribbles' stuff that I can record, when it's new and not yet played to death. Hey if there anything else that I can catch in the city (WLIR is a little bit hard to receive, and I don't like leaving a streaming webcast running on my computer for extended periods of time) that I should record, please let me know!

I can't wait til portable versions with MDLP hit the US (currently available in Japan; can be bought from planetminidisc.com for $400).

For all the gory details on MD, go to http://www.minidisc.org

------------------

"If you listen to techno, it so monotone so then you really would need drugs to enjoy it. "

-Tiesto

mugs -

i got one and i love it.

you can throw the disks around and not worry about scratches/skipping.

if you have access to a burner, then don't bother, but md's and napster are the way to go if you want to get some killer mixes.

i got some great johnny cash and kenny rogers 8-tracks if you're looking to expand that collection, mugs - let me know. tongue.gif

------------------

you can judge the quality and content of one's character by the way they treat someone that can do nothing for them...

Mugs,

I`d say go for one of those new mp3-cd players with which u can hold ten hours of music on one cd .. i got one of them, and its the best thing to have, but for the fact that u`ll need to get a cd burner too.

------------------

mamat3.jpg

.... We are the Star Travellers, and we come in Peace.

my MD player is delish. Sony MZ-R 90

little baby blue one

it is deluxe

------------------

B L O W G O A T S!!!

(the damn ducati pic was too big)

AIM: keshikis

E-mail: keshikis@aol.com

[This message has been edited by keshiki (edited 04-27-2001).]

Guest danwang

Originally posted by montynyop:

the only problem is i dunno if they record in real time, or if you can download them fast into your player/recorder

Has to be done in real time. If you have a MD walkman, it's the same as connecting (with a mini-to-mini cable) directly from soundcard (where speaker would normally connect) to the MD. Or like recording from computer (or from anything) to a tape. Also you'd have to listen through the MD recorder, not through the computer's speakers.

Would be cool if you can copy them over like files onto a floppy disk. Someday...

------------------

"If you listen to techno, it so monotone so then you really would need drugs to enjoy it. "

-Tiesto