Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Why do people cheat?

Guest danwang

Guest danwang

On their boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse, that is...

This question sorta came up in a conversation with my gf (hasn't happened yet, but she often jokingly threatens to), and I thought I'd try to get some input from y'all...

Any theories, or anything learned through experience?

Are there any psychology (or sociology?) majors here, who may have come across some kind of natural tendency in the human psyche, that would lead to these things?

Some other related questions:

1. I have heard that some (perhaps most) people do this because they're unhappy with their current relationship (or some part of it) - if that's so, then why not just get out of it?

2. When people decide to have an affair, do they expect (even if only in the back of the mind) to eventually get caught or discovered? Is the affair something they usually plan to be short-term, or one of those "as long as possible" things?

I think they're not getting enough attention from their current BF/GF. How much attention a person needs varies, but if they're not getting enough, they try to make up for it else where.

[This message has been edited by diesel00 (edited 04-30-2001).]

Hey Dan!, interesting topic.

From my experience, people cheat b/c they no longer feel the same for their significant other. Everyone grows and changes, and few of us are lucky enough to grow and change in the same direction as who we're with. Cheating happens when you find someone else you'd rather be with but aren't ready to break it off with your sig. other yet ... either b/c there's too much history there, you're comfortable/happy enough, you're chicken, you're afraid to be alone, or b/c the third party won't commit. That or b/c you've got no self-control. There's gotta be either a mental or physical attraction to the third person when you're cheating. For the one being cheated on, the hard one to get over is the mental attraction b/c cheating happens when the relationship is pretty much over, plus it's harder to forgive/forget.

As for people cheating to help their relationship ... I really don't understand that. Why not just take a break and date other people? Cheating kills trust in a relationship and once trust is gone ... it's really difficult to earn back.

On a happier note, how's it going? PM me! smile.gif

people cheat because they are not happy with what they have and they don't know how to communicate with one another.

------------------

cathat3.gif

"How did it get so late so soon?

It's nite before it's afternoon.

December is here before it's June.

My goodness how the time has flewn.

How did it get so late so soon?"- Dr. Seuss

people have a natural tendency to wonder if there is something better out there....they often dont want to or care to believe that what they have is the best so they go out there looking for better....

------------------

i was alone thinking i was just fine,

i wasnt looking for anyone to be mine,

i thought love was just a fabrication,

a train that wouldnt stop at my station,

home, alone, that was my consignment,

solitary confinement,

So when we met i was getting around u,

i didnt know i was looking for love till i found u...