Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Does size matter (in a club)......

Ok i know we have been here before but i wanted to revisit it and get some personal preferances (remeber that's all they are)..

Anyway so i like smaller clubs (600-10000. I know DJ's like to see 2000 bobbing heads but in a small venue (like where b2b is @ now), you can see everybodies faces in the club from the booth. I would love to play a 2000-10,000 but i have spoken to many a DJ who likes the big gigs (they pay more money for a start) but who will often play a small venue for half his usuall fee just because it's a good venue to really get a feel for what is working.

As far as when i go out, so long as there is room to dance i also prefer it fairly small most of the time. I don't really do the whole walking round the club thing, so that's probably why. I think if you have a huge club splitting it up in to smaller rooms with different music would work better for me than having 1 HUGE room.

a) what DJ's preffer.

B) what punters preffer.

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

Trust in the currency of relationships, it's hard to earn but easy to loose - back2basics

b2b6.GIF

Originally posted by back2basics-:

I think if you have a huge club splitting it up in to smaller rooms with different music would work better for me than having 1 HUGE room.

As is my wont I like to have my cake and eat it to. home in Sydney has the big ass main arena bit on the ground floor with a cap of like (god knows)1200-1500, there's home bar which spills onto the promenade along darling harbour (great place this time of year) with funky cruisey shit, there's a nook on the first floor where they have d'n'b, on the first floor u can also over look the main arena, then on the stairs on the way up to the terrace there's a 'silver room' which tends to feature bouncing off the walls type shit, then there's the roof top terrace & room, which has funky house or breaks or something chill, it has outside areas over looking darling harbour.......I guess the non main arena bits can take maybe 1000.....oh and it was purpose built in 98 and it has a sound system rivalling Twilo's.....boy I hated partying there ;-)

------------------

"At the peak of tremendous and victorious effort, while the blood is pounding in your head, all suddenly comes quiet within you. Everything seems clearer and whiter than ever before, as if great spotlights had been turned on. At that moment, you have the conviction that you contain all the power in the world, that you are capable of everything, that you have wings. There is no more precise moment in life than this, the WHITE MOMENT, and you will work hard for years, just to taste it again.''Yuri Vlason. -----------PM sux email is better-------> boa_boy@yahoo.com hapfac01.gif

Originally posted by boa_boy:

As is my wont I like to have my cake and eat it to. home in Sydney has the big ass main arena bit on the ground floor with a cap of like (god knows)1200-1500, there's home bar which spills onto the promenade along darling harbour (great place this time of year) with funky cruisey shit, there's a nook on the first floor where they have d'n'b, on the first floor u can also over look the main arena, then on the stairs on the way up to the terrace there's a 'silver room' which tends to feature bouncing off the walls type shit, then there's the roof top terrace & room, which has funky house or breaks or something chill, it has outside areas over looking darling harbour.......I guess the non main arena bits can take maybe 1000.....oh and it was purpose built in 98 and it has a sound system rivalling Twilo's.....boy I hated partying there ;-)

it rivals twilo's b/c they put it in

but to address b2b, i think size definetly makes a huge difference...

i like the intimacy of twilo.. the main room is nto real small, yet is set up so that you can make a connection w/ the dj.. he can pretty easily be seen from nearly anywhere in the main room..

now contrast that w/ exit.. where the main dance floor alone can handle 4000 people.. theres normally not much of a vibe b/c the music blows... but when tarantella and redanka were there it was absolutely fantastic... so many people and so much energy...

haven't been tehre in a while b/c there has been no reason worthwhile.. but they've addes more and more rooms... 7000 people on thanksgiving last year.. and that was w/o additions they've made..

place has so much potential to be one of the best clubs in the world... if they'd only bring in some good dj's...

------------------

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use" -Soren Kierkegaard

"People who know little are usually great talkers, while men who know much say little." -Rousseau

"One must learn to be a sponge if one wants to be loved by hearts that overflow." -Frederich Neitzsche 2-Brandie&Rob-11

hmr3.gif

Originally posted by PFloyd40:

it rivals twilo's b/c they put it in

well the guys that put in Twilo's sound put in home's sound as well, since they've opened they've augmented the sound with some of the kit from the #2 kitted out club in Sydney!

------------------

"At the peak of tremendous and victorious effort, while the blood is pounding in your head, all suddenly comes quiet within you. Everything seems clearer and whiter than ever before, as if great spotlights had been turned on. At that moment, you have the conviction that you contain all the power in the world, that you are capable of everything, that you have wings. There is no more precise moment in life than this, the WHITE MOMENT, and you will work hard for years, just to taste it again.''Yuri Vlason. -----------PM sux email is better-------> boa_boy@yahoo.com hapfac01.gif

well the guys that put in Twilo's sound put in home's sound as well, since they've opened they've augmented the sound with some of the kit from the #2 kitted out club in Sydney!

come again?

------------------

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use" -Soren Kierkegaard

"People who know little are usually great talkers, while men who know much say little." -Rousseau

"One must learn to be a sponge if one wants to be loved by hearts that overflow." -Frederich Neitzsche 2-Brandie&Rob-11

hmr3.gif

come again?

apparently the people behind Twilo's sound also do home around the world including Sydney, I was talking to someone about the very subject Friday nite. 18 months ago or so the princpal behind Sublime (until home the best purpose built club in Sydney) sold Sublime, and took up a share in home Sydney, the people buying Sublime were converting into a pool hall, so they took the kit with them to home and used it in various parts of the club, for example the bit I mentioned b4 where they have d'n'b did not exist until Sublime moved in.......does that make sense?

cwm13.gif

------------------

thats what i said.. twilo installed home's system in syndney and thats why it sounds so good..

------------------

hmr3.gif

ok, well my feelings on this is that i cant fucking stand to be in a small club, with HUGE Crowds, like Vinyl this past friday, i mean i cant see how its fun when it takes 10 mins to walk to the back of the club? FUN? i dont get it? i love some of the Dj's Twilo brings in, but i cant deal with so many people, i really do like paul van dyk, but u would never catch me there at 12-6, i just cant deal, it would be great if owners werent gready fucks, and did something like "Crowd control" i like room to dance, and people around me happy, not pissy cause people keep fucking pushing you, or hitting u with out saying " im sorry hun" u no? lol

yea im kinda pissy today. smile.gif

but i do like small clubs, when its not crowded. but BIG clubs can be great to, come on Try to tell me Palladium wasent the shit, lol.

Even TUNNEL. if that place could get a solid GOOD resident, people would be all over that. i dont care much for Renagade, and Nero, they dont do it for me. i liked Corbett there, and miss Junior at the old tunnel, Fuck even danny riped that place up!

i want that, A GOOD Dj, in a big large place, so u can dance move around, and go on adventure's LOL.

Exit could be great if they got a good dj, and took out half the people in there, and filled it with non Gay bashing, Fun colorfull people, Ha.

Hahaha,

Anyway, what u guys think?

_JAY_

------------------

"kill a kandy kid"

4 FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!

"do u need some help wit your dick?"

:)

Originally posted by jaysea:

ok, well my feelings on this is that i cant fucking stand to be in a small club, with HUGE Crowds, like Vinyl this past friday, i mean i cant see how its fun when it takes 10 mins to walk to the back of the club? FUN? i dont get it? i love some of the Dj's Twilo brings in, but i cant deal with so many people, i really do like paul van dyk, but u would never catch me there at 12-6, i just cant deal, it would be great if owners werent gready fucks, and did something like "Crowd control" i like room to dance, and people around me happy, not pissy cause people keep fucking pushing you, or hitting u with out saying " im sorry hun" u no? lol

yea im kinda pissy today. smile.gif

but i do like small clubs, when its not crowded. but BIG clubs can be great to, come on Try to tell me Palladium wasent the shit, lol.

Even TUNNEL. if that place could get a solid GOOD resident, people would be all over that. i dont care much for Renagade, and Nero, they dont do it for me. i liked Corbett there, and miss Junior at the old tunnel, Fuck even danny riped that place up!

i want that, A GOOD Dj, in a big large place, so u can dance move around, and go on adventure's LOL.

Exit could be great if they got a good dj, and took out half the people in there, and filled it with non Gay bashing, Fun colorfull people, Ha.

Hahaha,

Anyway, what u guys think?

_JAY_

i agreee... get a dj w/ a unique sound in there again like the days of D-Tour, and it would be fabulous..

------------------

hmr3.gif

i love running around in clubs from end to end, thats why i fell in love with the tunnel and exit, sooo many rooms, so many journeys can be completed in an hour

------------------

TWILO'S WACK !!!! Sorry guys it is

"don't get attached to anything you're not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat coming around the corner"

Robert Deniro

AIM:MSOPRANO13

Email: msoprano13@yahoo.com

Ganster-01.gif "IM GONNA MAKE YOU AN OFFER YOU CANT REFUSE" MSOPRANO13

Look I dont give a shit if its a basement or a stadium as long as the sound system kicks ass and I can dance(cough coughphazon systemcough Twilo cough) I'm ok. Nothing worse than lots of space and shity sound. Anyone see Oakie at Roseland or Hamerstein! FUCKNSUUUUCKED!! I saw him at the Roxy TWICE and that was soooo much better. Smaller..yes but the sound was like the shit and the crowd was right there with him. If you listen to Oakie's another world "silence" kicks in from that night. He even called it his best gig in NY ever. (Tranz giving 99)

Damn, I love large ass clubs most of the time.

Back in the day, Limelight was a journey and a freak ass experience to just wonder around at that place. So was the tunnel and palladium, but all these clubs are getting too tame, no matter where you are, you just dont see the things u used to back few years ago. I guess the Gulliani administration really sank its teeth into the club scene.

Even though its not the same, I still prefer larger clubs because of the walking space.

However smaller clubs are cool too, to chill in one place sippin on some drinks or whatever you do. ( Depending on what mood im in).

Actually the strange thing is, i prefer smaller places on a Friday night and large clubs on a Saturday...wierd psychological stuff.

Rad_

------------------

FRANK_TRIGG_ANIMATION.GIF

BOOM............BOOM!!!

a little bit of everything- always smile.gif

but 3/5 times, smaller venues, especially when there's that perfect crowd volume- enough room to dance, but enough people so that the place isn't empty. i love the intimacy, you seriously know everyone's face by the end of the night, even if you never looked anyone else in the eye, you saw them dance and listen to the music alongside the rest of us . . . all that PLUR which gets killed in crowds (coughcoughtwilocoughcrowdenights wink.gif)

------------------

"any kind of stance or belief is in its essence opposing to life and truth"

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." -voltaire

thats what i said.. twilo installed home's system in syndney and thats why it sounds so good..

\

"The sound at "home" was designed by a american guy called Steve Dash. Steve

designed Twilo in New York and I think did Cream as well. He also worked on the Sound System at ARQ. He is known around the world for designing great sound systems.

The sound on the main floor was flown into Australia and was fitted by Steve

with the help of Avsound. The rest of the club was designed by Avsound and Big Beat. Since then there have been many changes to the entire system, retuning, different EQ's, the old Sublime sound system has recently been broken up and added to various sections of the club."

Q -> does Steve Dash work for Twil or does he just jet around designing sound systems for clubs? Maybe when I start making more money than sense I can get him to design my sound system for my penthouse pad wink.gif lol

------------------

I am so use to the clubs in Toronto that I have come to prefer the smaller venues (200-800 bobbing heads tops). If you don't take into consideration The Guvernment/Warehouse (approx. 2,000 in a night) most of the clubs here are small, with seperate rooms to hang in. You get access to seperate DJs and seperate clubbers and seperate music at all times. Great for those times when you just feel the need to roam around a club!!!

cwm7.gifcwm7.gifcwm7.gifcwm7.gifcwm7.gif

------------------

1006.gif

"The sound at "home" was designed by a american guy called Steve Dash. Steve

designed Twilo in New York and I think did Cream as well. He also worked on the Sound System at ARQ. He is known around the world for designing great sound systems.

The sound on the main floor was flown into Australia and was fitted by Steve

with the help of Avsound. The rest of the club was designed by Avsound and Big Beat. Since then there have been many changes to the entire system, retuning, different EQ's, the old Sublime sound system has recently been broken up and added to various sections of the club."

Q -> does Steve Dash work for Twil or does he just jet around designing sound systems for clubs? Maybe when I start making more money than sense I can get him to design my sound system for my penthouse pad wink.gif lol

ahhh now the confusion becomes apparent...

i was assuming you knew that... yes steve and twilo are like partners.. or twilo owns phazon, or the other way around, i'm not exactly sure..

but either way their in bed together.. he designs all the systems and yes they did home in syndney and london, and cream, and guverment in toronto and a bunch of others too..

thats why twilo's system is so amazing.. b/c its his "home" system, so to speak...

yea i be needin me a home phazon too...

------------------

hmr3.gif