Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Saturday Danny Howell Review

agreed pooh, howells isn't for everyone. what did u guys expect him to progress to? something harder, faster, melodic, or trancey? what was that music he played from 4-6am??

I never heard so many inpatient cry babies last night. You know the deal, he doesn't play hard until 2 or 3 am. That's just the way it is. Fuck it, for you inpatient ones, don't worry, Twilo has something for you. How does Pete Tong 6 hour set sound? That's all you!

I'll agree to some extent that his set wasn't as good as January but does he always have to out do his previous sets? It doesn't go that way... He did a great job and Im extremely F'ing grateful that we have him for a bi-monthly resident and plays 7 hours. U won't hear 7 hours anywhere else in the world. Example, next Saturday he is playing at Space. He's the opener and is playing a 2 hr set.

Blah! im done...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by p00h:

Track after track with evil dark sounds, chunky ass basslines, and funky lyrics.

Evil dark sounds? cwm37.gif

Patience has to be a virtue when after 5 freaking hours the dude still goes nowhere. Same beat, gush, gush, kush, gush, kush... wtf? His major explosion was a tiny thump then right back down to yawn mode.

Someone told me Danny was Diggers protégée. If that's the case then he better go back to get some more schooling cause Diggers is da man...

Now all I gotta see is if the other Danny lives up to the hype as well...

------------------

Forget the dreams... what you need is a good nightmare to bring you back to reality...

ezlogo1.gif

Originally posted by Nolimit:

Fuck it, for you inpatient ones, don't worry, Twilo has something for you. How does Pete Tong 6 hour set sound? That's all you!

cwm2.gifcwm2.gif good one Diego........on another note, I think his NuBreed is a great representation of his sets.......not necessarily the track selection but definitely the progression........its fabulous.......

MiKeY

------------------

"Some I consider my girlfriends, and some I just consider" - John Bender

Originally posted by ezdreamer:

Now all I gotta see is if the other Danny lives up to the hype as well...

There should be no problem there..... smile.gif

Mikey

------------------

How does Pete Tong 6 hour set sound? That's all you!

Pete Tong? That trainwrecker? Amtrack wouldn't hire his ass...

------------------

Forget the dreams... what you need is a good nightmare to bring you back to reality...

ezlogo1.gif

That's just the way it is. Fuck it, for you inpatient ones, don't worry, Twilo has something for you.

We aren't impatient...your talking to 11pm till 10 am'ers here.

He never blew up and stayed there, thats what we like....Has nothing to do with patience...he just isn't our speed. Diggers in January was a better representation, last month Digs didnt do for me either.

Ah....Sasha back soon...Thank God

------------------

blacksunrising2.gif

Hope breeds life, lose your dreams and you'll die

agreed pooh, howells isn't for everyone. what did u guys expect him to progress to? something harder, faster, melodic, or trancey? what was that music he played from 4-6am??

I never heard so many inpatient cry babies last night. You know the deal, he doesn't play hard until 2 or 3 am. That's just the way it is. Fuck it, for you inpatient ones, don't worry, Twilo has something for you. How does Pete Tong 6 hour set sound? That's all you!

I'll agree to some extent that his set wasn't as good as January but does he always have to out do his previous sets? It doesn't go that way... He did a great job and Im extremely F'ing grateful that we have him for a bi-monthly resident and plays 7 hours. U won't hear 7 hours anywhere else in the world. Example, next Saturday he is playing at Space. He's the opener and is playing a 2 hr set.

Blah! im done...

IMPATIENT!?

we stepped in from the beginning and it was slow...and it was slow through out the damn night...i wanted Howells to slap me in the face from all this fucking hype that everyone built up for the past two weeks..."oh he was awesome in Jan...every track he dropped was the bomb..."...so of course we never saw Howells live and we wanted to hear what the hype was...and we were dissapointed...

no...i don't care if a dj doesn't start bangin' from the beginning of his set... if he can't grab your attention from the beginining, then his set blows...Digweed, Sasha, Lawler, Pappa, Seaman,Tenaglia, Warren, Sander and others sometimes start off slow but still hold your attention, they take you along for that journey with them...shit, PVD took my ass on a journey back in July...Howells just picked you up and dropped your ass along the side of the highway saying to yourself what just happened?

no...we weren't expecting something "harder, faster, melodic, or trancey"...we were expecting be impressed and we were disappointed...he dropped a few good tracks...that's supposed to make his set awesome? He was playin' more progressive my ass...guy Ornadel's set at the last GateCrasher was progressive at its best...

Impatient? Last Digweed, when Diggs was dropping the techno after 6am, everyone left even YOU...and said i wasn't feeling it...I stuck it out with a few others here, in this same thread, 'cause we wanted hear what Digweed was going to go with it...hmmmmm...sign of a good dj I suppose? Howells kept building, and when when he was going to drop...he left you hangin'...

so apparently we give a review of last night...and everyone thinks we were impatient...

thank guys for all the hype you built up for the past few weeks...it was like a high budgeted movie, lots of hype and then when you get to see it...you come out saying WTF was that....

shove Tong up your ass...

Howells deez nutz...

Warren and Sander this friday...

------------------

give into pressure. . .

shadowchaser076@aol.com

Originally posted by myrlin:

We aren't impatient...your talking to 11pm till 10 am'ers here.

oh yeah...ummm...diego...impatient? We always close out... we hardly see you at closing...

didn't you leave danny/cox early cause you were "tired"?

------------------

give into pressure. . .

shadowchaser076@aol.com

[This message has been edited by shadowchaser (edited 03-18-2001).]

Okay... this is my fairest review I can give to that yawner of a DJ...

Waited all this time to hear Danny Howells... the hype and build up for this guy was incredible.

Even if he has an off nite, he could still show a little bit of what he's really about. I didn't see none of that last nite. Like I said before he had four beats... gush, gush, gush, gush... then just when I think he's gonna blow the roof off he comes on with a whimper, then right back down to gush, gush, gush, gush.

I have never been cold at Twilo... yesterday I was freezing my balls off. The only reason y I was dancing at all is to keep from frostbite. A good dj keeps me sweating whether I'm seating or standing.

I felt like an ice cube last nite. More gush, gush, gush, gush.

Vibe? Non existant except for the peeps from this board. All I can say is thank god for good company...

------------------

ezlogo1.gif

WORD OF CAUTION TO THE BOARD: never look to Charlie and Frank for subtle commentary and criticism ...

... but I agree that Howells kept it a little too subdued. Still was good shit, but compared to the high energy show in January it was a little, dare I say, boring?

But a DJ is allowed to experiment with different sounds ... it would've been even worse if he played exactly the same set from January. For example, Lawler's last two Twilo sets had a little too much overlap (i.e. the same songs), which makes me worried that maybe he CAN'T play more than a 3 hour set like he always does. At least Howells showed us that he's willing to play around a little with his sound (Digweed being the master of finding new sounds for every set).

So let's say the score is tied 1-1 for Mr. Howells ... his May set will be the tie-breaker ...

------------------

AIM name: noserotoninleft

CRACKHEADS OF THE WORLD UNITE!! YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE BUT YOUR BRAINS!!!

Damn fellas.......everyone has their own view, I respect that.......I know I was beat up, sweating, and dehydrated after Danny's performance........

more importantly, although I've never seen him live, the sets I have heard from Sander Kleinenberg were okay but they, to me, fell into the same category as ez described above.......a little bland and no real climax.......even though I love his productions and his NuBreed looks very good, I'm not sure he will impress anymore than Howells did(to you guys at least).......could be wrong though.....

Nick Warren is another story though..... smile.gif

Mikey

------------------

[This message has been edited by tyco (edited 03-18-2001).]

all of you so called 'critics', get up there and do a better job.

im assuming u guys handed in your demos for that twilo dj competition. u would shit your pants if you were up there...

Hmm, im not a dj. Does that mean you shouldn't comment on a movie you didnt like cause you cant make a better one?

Or wait, cant complain your sports team didnt win cause you werent therE?

LoL...Opinions are what make us human. Disucussin our varying views in what makes life interesting....

IE....I couldnt stand a few techno shows I went to while a good friend of mine was totally ecstatic....and vice versa about Decembers S&D.....

------------------

blacksunrising2.gif

Hope breeds life, lose your dreams and you'll die

[This message has been edited by myrlin (edited 03-18-2001).]

stick to your GC/limelight events. those are more suitable for your taste.

what does me leaving early some nights have anything to do with this?

don't worry frank, i got tong up your ass the next time i see you.

defensive are we?

there there...its ok...there there...

we give a review and you call us cry babies...

of all people you should know about a dj grabbing the music fans attention and taking them on a journey...

i remember a while back when mauro picotto was in town and you said he sucked because he didn't take you on a journey...all he did was "bang"...

------------------

give into pressure. . .

shadowchaser076@aol.com

frank wrote:

howells blew...i love his NuBreed but he didn't impress me at all...

made me yawn...

he wasn't going anywhere his set...he only dropped three good tracks and that was it...

all hype...yeah he sucked...bite me...

Warren and Sander this friday. . .

u call this a review??? how old are u again?

frank wrote:

howells blew...i love his NuBreed but he didn't impress me at all...

made me yawn...

he wasn't going anywhere his set...he only dropped three good tracks and that was it...

all hype...yeah he sucked...bite me...

Warren and Sander this friday. . .

u call this a review??? how old are u again?

dude...

quit acting like i killed you're pet hamster...

i said howells didn't impress me and you're taking offense to it...

please...i thought you were more chill than that...one of the few peeps on the boards that i liked reading posts about and you gotta act this way...

sounds like you're the one who's doing the crying...

------------------

give into pressure. . .

shadowchaser076@aol.com

constructive critisim is important in a debate. I thought that s a given. apparently

not.

anyway, iwas there, was disappointed, was cold, despite hot air coming from the airsystem, coudn;t feel any excitement until

the very end, than the slow transition from

JV, or better no transition at the end of

DH set. That was the signal to go and get

my coat.

Btw the guy with glow puppet is part of the

scene on sat, appaently enjoyed the nite more

than some others, more power to him. Also

I am surprised the comments some ppl here made regarding the gay guys, First of all

the majority came in the morning like 5 am,

secondly gay ppl are part of clublife in big

cities in general. Most of them know how to party. So I am kind of surprised that quite

a few guys have a problem with them. It tells

me that N.Y. clubbers are not that openminded

and tolerant they always claim or think they are. Just a observation I have made.

One more thing ... hearing "I'll Hide You" at the end of every DJ's set these days (including Howells) takes me back to the early days of my teenage youth, when "Stairway to Heaven" was always the last song played at the end of high school dances (right into the late 1980s!)

I guess we have our first "classic" dance song of the new millenium. I look forward to hearing it on the retro compilations around 2015.

------------------

AIM name: noserotoninleft

CRACKHEADS OF THE WORLD UNITE!! YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE BUT YOUR BRAINS!!!

Originally posted by tyco:

Nick Warren is another story though..... smile.gif

Mikey

Hey, have you seen his DVD from Ibiza??? It's got trippy graphics and bangin dance clips. You should check it out, you'll like it. L

------------------

Lexicopy.jpg

"what I want is what I've not got, but what I need is all around me" - DMB

Originally posted by tribehouse:

Also I am surprised the comments some ppl here made regarding the gay guys

I don't mind them at all... I just feel absolutely weird getting hit on by them is all...

Hanging around them and getting hit on by them are two totally different things...

Nolimit... would it make you feel better if I said DH was awesome, he was on the money, he was the greatest dj alive? cwm25.gif

------------------

ezlogo1.gif

now now now kiddies. . .

yr all pretty. . .

and to assume that DH was going to be as good as he was in January was a bit naive, don'tchathink?? i mean, i was part of the hype machine, but you've got to make most of what yr given. . .

last night was definitely not as pounding as January, but it was completely different in new and interesting ways. . . most of you just weren't feelin' it, which is OK. . . if you wanna dis DH for ONE SET that's yr choice. . . but it'd be a damn shame considering what i've heard. . .

i had a great time. . . thank you to all of my lovely dance partners (you know who you are). . . cwm35.gif

------------------

no bullshit, no drama, just pimpin' since 1976. . .